Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By justcruzing1

Thread: GoPro/action cameras

JAY

GoPro/action cameras

Hey, trip is booked for end of April. Planning on doing some diving and was wondering about a GoPro. Does anyone have any ideas on where to find the best deals? I've bought other electronics before in Bangkok and had good luck with Beats headphones for a quarter of what I would pay for them in the States. But I'm a bit more worried about buying a counterfeit GoPro. Not that I have a problem with counterfeit stuff, I just dont want to go diving and end up losing all my footage because the cheap stuff wasnt able to stand the pressure (literally).
    Also, have any of you used the off brand GoPro type cameras? Any good results, especially as far as scubadiving shots go?
    Thanks

For some reason I thought SuperSub may have done this? Or was it Dupree? One of them had an underwater camera...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

PGC
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PGC's Avatar
    I've tried a couple of the Chinese Cams. They work fine but they break easily. I got a year out of one and slightly longer out of the other, before the picture went green in one and stopped working altogether in the other. While they worked they gave a decent picture in normal daylight.

But at 20 as opposed to 200, I guess they are a throwaway item.

JAY
    Quote Originally Posted by PGC View Post
    I've tried a couple of the Chinese Cams. They work fine but they break easily. I got a year out of one and slightly longer out of the other, before the picture went green in one and stopped working altogether in the other. While they worked they gave a decent picture in normal daylight.

But at 20 as opposed to 200, I guess they are a throwaway item.
    Thats what I'm afraid of and I want it for scubadiving so I'm sure that puts even more wear and tear on it. Sometimes there's no avoiding that you get what you pay for. Thanks

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar
    From what I hear the GoPro's are pretty sturdy and are waterproof so you don't need the housing unless you're going diving. Obviously they are the most expensive compared to other brands. I'm happy with my iPhone for casual pics so have never tried

JAY
    Quote Originally Posted by supersub View Post
    From what I hear the GoPro's are pretty sturdy and are waterproof so you don't need the housing unless you're going diving. Obviously they are the most expensive compared to other brands. I'm happy with my iPhone for casual pics so have never tried
    The gopro 5 is water resistant without a case down to 10 meters, so it's ok for snorkeling, but scubadiving you still need an additional case for it and then you need a red lens to correct for underwater filming conditions.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Hi Jay,

Why not check with the dive company if they have GoPro or similar for hire. It may be the cheaper option or they may hire the cases so you don't need to buy one just the camera.

If they don't it would be a good business venture.

I think Moo recently swam with whale sharks and he only found out later that they had camera's for hire.
    Moo Uaon likes this.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"