Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: UK Return ??

AKA Bubblegum Cadet Bronze

UK Return ??

Not sure if I'm posting in the right place or not but hopefully I may get some sensible replies ?

I've been living in Pattaya for the last 12 years, the first 2 years I really enjoyed it and if I got bored here I headed off back to the UK and then came back here again.

In 2008 I made my last trip home and stayed for 4 months and came back here in 2009 where I have been ever since. In 2010 I started a small business to keep me occupied and it's done well, still going strong, it's kept me busy but at the same time it's given me a few headaches too.

If anyone has read my other thread about a woman then they may get the gist of why I'm thinking of getting out now ? I like being in a relationship of some sort but this last one was probably the straw that broke the camels back, it seems like I just get attracted to the crazy ones and when I do get a good one there's no spark or anything, believe me I have had both good and bad. I'm not the sort now that wants a short time or a quick one in a massage shop, that does nothing for me at all. I've done 1 barfine this year !

So the last 3+ months have been really shit, I've completely lost interest in everything here now, there is nothing to look forwards to except low season and f***ing songkran which I hate with a passion.

What shook me into thinking about this was a conversation I had a few weeks back with a customer who was here for the first time in a few years, I told him how I was feeling and he just replied that he could remember having this same conversation with me 6-7 years ago, that made me think that I've been pretty pissed off with the place for a long time and maybe now it's hit boiling point ? Friends come over and say they envy me for living here, I envy them for being in their home country and having something to look forwards too and something to work for.

I've spoken with my ex boss in the UK, there's work available but a few hoops to jump through first before I can start working again, the money seems pretty good too.

My problem is that although I pretty much hate this place 100% I am sure I will regret leaving it to return to the UK, I really don't want to go but a couple of people I've spoken with that went home have said they're happier there than they were here ? I only have a sister there that I talk with so no kids or ex wives to worry about. I'd be starting a new life and the thought confuses me and also scares me a lot.

Has anyone else on here decided to end it here and head home after a long stint, what sort of problems did you have ?
    Should I stay and fight it out here ?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Yep...

Reverse culture shock... getting use to my own culture and country again wasn't easy at all after almost a decade there. Water under the bridge now. I still go back to LOS once or twice a year to see my little bloke,off tomorrow actually.

It's funny when I get there I quickly get reminded off the stuff I don't like about the place... Songkran is one of them but will be doing with the little bloke. If he's having fun I should be too.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    Yep...

Reverse culture shock... getting use to my own culture and country again wasn't easy at all after almost a decade there. Water under the bridge now. I still go back to LOS once or twice a year to see my little bloke,off tomorrow actually.

It's funny when I get there I quickly get reminded off the stuff I don't like about the place... Songkran is one of them but will be doing with the little bloke. If he's having fun I should be too.
    Couple of questions for you.

How long were you here for and what made you decide to head back to your home country ?

I was there 9 years.
    Not a fan of the smoky or rainy seasons there but got a bit stale with the place too.
    Did a lot of exploring there and the whole region really. Enjoyed that to the point i didn't like flying anywhere any more and preferred to either ride my bike or drive my car from the front door of home.
    Main reason is to get my little bloke here to go to school and grow up. There's lots more opportunity for him here in Oz.
    OzzyDamo and Ian Forbes like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    So why are you living there then?
    Just seems bizarre you'd live in a place that frustrates you so much

I only lived in Thailand for a little over a year and I just like living in North America better

Being away for so long I think you will find a move back invigorating

Even though my stay in Thailand was relatively short I found I liked being back in a routine of work and looking forward to the weekends

I enjoy Thailand each and every time I am there and as long as I am with my wife I will always be connected to Thailand

But I don't ever want to live there full time

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Another option you might want to look at, I don't know if your business is tied to Pattaya
    Is move to another area of Thailand

I just can't imagine Pattaya offers much in intellectual stimulus

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Is it possible to put a good manager into your current business and return home for say 6 months?

A bit like a relationship breakdown, have a separation time and see how you feel after it.

I have read and followed your situation with the TG, I think it is also tainting your feelings, bringing it to the boil so to speak so it would be a duel separation from LOS and her.
    Quarky likes this.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    So why are you living there then?
    Just seems bizarre you'd live in a place that frustrates you so much
    It was where I first came for a holiday and apart from visiting Sakon Nakhon it's where I wanted to settle.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Another option you might want to look at, I don't know if your business is tied to Pattaya
    Is move to another area of Thailand

I just can't imagine Pattaya offers much in intellectual stimulus
    Business is tied to Pattaya.

Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post
    Is it possible to put a good manager into your current business and return home for say 6 months?

A bit like a relationship breakdown, have a separation time and see how you feel after it.

I have read and followed your situation with the TG, I think it is also tainting your feelings, bringing it to the boil so to speak so it would be a duel separation from LOS and her.
    It's not just this current girl it's everything, like I said before there's just nothing here to look forward too.

I've had some offers of help from people before but when I have actually asked them if they could look after it for a few days they were always busy.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    Would you be willing to get a partner? So you can travel.
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post
    Would you be willing to get a partner? So you can travel.
    This has been said before but unfortunately there's not enough turnover to warrant a partner.

Did you like the UK when you left in the first place? If you didn't, then maybe find somewhere else to live? If you did, then worth a try.... but it does rain a lot remember... 55
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    Did you like the UK when you left in the first place? If you didn't, then maybe find somewhere else to live? If you did, then worth a try.... but it does rain a lot remember... 55
    The UK would be where my work was, at the time I left I had a decent job etc but had also lost both my parents in a short space of time and had a long term relationship go tits up, a new start here after I'd done a bit of travelling seemed like a good option. Hindsight is something I wish I had or a time machine !

Rain and the cold doesn't get to me that much, to be honest the constant heat here can be a pain in the ass too.
    Quarky, Minder and Moo Uaon like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bubblegu View Post
    Rain and the cold doesn't get to me that much, to be honest the constant heat here can be a pain in the ass too.
    Yeah,hot is good but too hot too often is stifling.
    Quarky likes this.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    I moved here to West Australia for a new start after accepting a job offer ....I didn't know a soul here and had never been here before in my life ...... that was 18 years ago and divorced and flat broke doesn't begin to cover it .... I had several job offers in the early years that would have taken me out of here but no real alternatives for almost a decade now .... some of the things you are saying about moving back are the same things - read concerns and fears - that I would have about moving back to an Eastern states life now ....

First question I'd ask is "Why?" .... Why would/will I do this? Why will I make this move? What's in it for me? What is my eventual goal?

Is there a voice saying "I am getting older and I'll need an nest egg of some kind one day"? ... we all do.

On the plus side - IMHO a big plus - you have a job offer. That means money coming in from the day you arrive so less pressure on that small fortune you will have amassed in your time in Pattaya

So where are you going to live back in the UK?
    Do you have somewhere close to that work that you can live cheaply/for free for a while?

Will you be able to find better or alternative or additional work if you want it?
    Life is the unexpected ...

Quote Originally Posted by Minder View Post
    I moved here to West Australia for a new start after accepting a job offer ....I didn't know a soul here and had never been here before in my life ...... that was 18 years ago and divorced and flat broke doesn't begin to cover it .... I had several job offers in the early years that would have taken me out of here but no real alternatives for almost a decade now .... some of the things you are saying about moving back are the same things - read concerns and fears - that I would have about moving back to an Eastern states life now ....

First question I'd ask is "Why?" .... Why would/will I do this? Why will I make this move? What's in it for me? What is my eventual goal?
    Good question and I'm still trying to find an answer, somebody asked me yesterday what would make me happy ? I couldn't answer it as at the moment I just don't know.

Is there a voice saying "I am getting older and I'll need an nest egg of some kind one day"? ... we all do.
    All my inner voice is saying is wtf should I do that's best for me ?

On the plus side - IMHO a big plus - you have a job offer. That means money coming in from the day you arrive so less pressure on that small fortune you will have amassed in your time in Pattaya
    It would take 2-3 weeks to get everything sorted first, I let a lot of things lapse over there while I lived here. Small fortune 555555

So where are you going to live back in the UK?
    Leicestershire

Do you have somewhere close to that work that you can live cheaply/for free for a while?
    Got a sister I could stay with but I did it before and although it was cheap and I tried to stay out of their way I don't think I'd be looking at staying there any more than a few days. I've had a look at rooms near where the work is and there does seem to be some reasonably priced places available.

Will you be able to find better or alternative or additional work if you want it?
    Doubtful unless I wanted to travel further away and even then the money difference wouldn't be that great, overtime would be available but I'm limited to how many hours I can do by law so 24/7 is a no go.
    Minder likes this.

Messed that up a bit at the end !!!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    It's not just this current girl it's everything, like I said before there's just nothing here to look forward too.

I've had some offers of help from people before but when I have actually asked them if they could look after it for a few days they were always busy.
    OK, If I am correct you have also had some health problems so load that on top of the Girlfriend, the quiet season coming and it is easy to get the Black Dog onto you.

I would not consider asking friends to help manage the business, get a professional manager in, if you have to pay them all the profit from the business for the 6 months so what? You still own it, have it to return to in 6 months if thats what you decide, or sell it off, possibly to them.

During your 6 months break I would do several things, I would return for a holiday but to another part of LOS. You, like the rest of us have an attraction to the country so maybe a different location to restart.

Travel to other countries for a holiday and see if they compare to LOS.

Get a job in UK that will allow you to travel, maybe the answer is to live there but on a casual basis. Contract work??

Best wishes
    bubblegu likes this.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Messed that up a bit at the end !!!
    Maybe I missed it, but what age are you?

In my experience, any person needs positive future goals in life to be happy..

Children, relationship, professional achievement, bucked-list items.. Only the ones who have lived a full and rich (experience wise) life can aim for stability and be satisfied with that..

From what I am reading, you are lacking in the "future goal-department" and are too young to be content about that..

So instead of focusing on a change of scenery, I would focus at future goals, achievements and fulfillments..

Easier to say than do, no question, but running away to the UK without a goal surely will make to miss Thailand and question your decision.. Recipe for failure IMO..

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast