• 2 Post By Stillearly
  • 1 Post By Moo Uaon
  • 1 Post By Bacon

Thread: Newspapers

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar

Newspapers

I am watching The Post and got me thinking about newspapers

I've loved newspapers since I can remember
    Sounds corny but I just couldn't believe all that information was in those pages for like .25usd when I started reading them, early!

But I was thinking I loved them because my family did
    Everyone loved reading the paper
    And as we got older my mom had to buy 2 of each so we wouldn't fight over them.

So it was sort of a visual thing for me and obviously, a physical thing
    The paper was there

So I wonder how parents will get their kids into the news
    It's easy to get them into books....you, yourself and school does that

But it will he so much harder to get your kids into reading the news because it's not in front of them and you reading your phone or tablet looks the same as watching a movie or playing a game

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    When I was a paper Boy in the mid Seventy's the daily paper was 5 cents . The only Paper I buy now is the Sunday Paper @ $3 and full of shit, Not sure how much longer I will bother.
    Minder likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน obes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tingtong View Post
    When I was a paper Boy in the mid Seventy's the daily paper was 5 cents . The only Paper I buy now is the Sunday Paper @ $3 and full of shit, Not sure how much longer I will bother.
    I had a paper "position", on the main road in Melbourne's Heidelberg in the 70's TT.

People would pull up quickly, almost like a drive thru - I'd hand them a paper and they'd flip me the 5 cents.
    One bastard flipped me a washer one day - traffic was heavy and the transaction had to happen quickly - he got a paper and I got zip. That was a big part of my profit gone, so I never forgot that thieving pr1ck 5555

Saw a woman drive past in the nude one day and she was tidy. The things you used to see 555
    Tingtong likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Although I loved newspapers, I couldn't read the papers when I just woke up.. Don't know if it was the ink or the paper-dust, but it got me sneezing after turning the first page..
    Switched to evening papers, but that's just not the same.

So I was glad when the news started coming digitally!
    And I think it's a lot of added value when you can compare the news coming from different outlets within seconds..

So I think kids nowadays have a great luxury in the way they can get their information!.
    But you are right that the issue is how they can keep an interest with so much available? But do they really have to be interested in everything?

My daughter has a wide (and political) interest at world-level, participates in the school debate team and goes to MUN (method United Nations) gatherings, where young people get assigned a country to defend in debates on certain topics.
    Last October she defended Myanmar on issues like freedom of speech and refugee rights.. Not an easy task I would say, but she got support from 20 Nations in her arguments.. 555
    She couldn't have done that without the aid of quick available digital information..

My sons have fewer interests, but can create a Unity game from scratch within a few hours.. I am sure school nor me ever taught them anything about that.. 55

So I would say the paper newspaper is antiquated and irrelevant for kids gaining of general knowledge.
    Kids are able to choose their news sources and their interests. The task for parents and schools is to keep kids interested at the world around them, which is difficult! (but not impossible)..

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Back when I lived and worked in the western world I loved breakfast/brunch with the Mrs in a local cafe where would split up the various sections of the newspaper and sit for an hour or more just enjoying our food and tea/coffee whilst we took in all the news of the day before work..on the weekends we'd spend a couple of hours there with friends having a conversation and reading the newspapers as well

I can't remember the last time I read a printed newspaper...its mostly only when I am staying in a decent hotel where they have them on those wooden binders in the lobby/restaurants..

I still read 3 newspapers every day online (Australian) and watch the occasional TV news/current affairs programs...so I am not really mising out

Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    Although I loved newspapers, I couldn't read the papers when I just woke up.. Don't know if it was the ink or the paper-dust, but it got me sneezing after turning the first page..
    Switched to evening papers, but that's just not the same.

So I was glad when the news started coming digitally!
    And I think it's a lot of added value when you can compare the news coming from different outlets within seconds..

So I think kids nowadays have a great luxury in the way they can get their information!.
    But you are right that the issue is how they can keep an interest with so much available? But do they really have to be interested in everything?

My daughter has a wide (and political) interest at world-level, participates in the school debate team and goes to MUN (method United Nations) gatherings, where young people get assigned a country to defend in debates on certain topics.
    Last October she defended Myanmar on issues like freedom of speech and refugee rights.. Not an easy task I would say, but she got support from 20 Nations in her arguments.. 555
    She couldn't have done that without the aid of quick available digital information..

My sons have fewer interests, but can create a Unity game from scratch within a few hours.. I am sure school nor me ever taught them anything about that.. 55

So I would say the paper newspaper is antiquated and irrelevant for kids gaining of general knowledge.
    Kids are able to choose their news sources and their interests. The task for parents and schools is to keep kids interested at the world around them, which is difficult! (but not impossible)..
    Why yes news is more readily available but they have to have an interest to get it

I actually believe kids in this generation are amazing. Sure a lot are coddled but I look at their learning as akin to advancement in diseases
    Bare with me.....my comparison makes sense 555

I think what kids are learning in 2,3,5 years took us 20 years to learn

But I still worry about it being too "out there" for some when it was right in front of us......simply because the world was so much smaller then

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Why yes news is more readily available but they have to have an interest to get it

I actually believe kids in this generation are amazing. Sure a lot are coddled but I look at their learning as akin to advancement in diseases
    Bare with me.....my comparison makes sense 555

I think what kids are learning in 2,3,5 years took us 20 years to learn

But I still worry about it being too "out there" for some when it was right in front of us......simply because the world was so much smaller then
    I think kids are "specializing" at an age we were still generalizing..

As you say, there is just too much to be able to take it all in, so they select what fits with their interests.
    And often that is computer-games or social media, which us oldie's see as insignificant or not contributing to their development...
    Our focus (mine anyway) is still at schools, grades and certificates.. Yet when I see the many youngsters making a living from blogging and vlogging.. Can't say they live a poor life or deprive themselves from a future or career..

Times are changing and I think it's our challenge to adapt, not the kids..
    Quarky likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar
    I think there's plenty of interest there, but the issue is the credibility of news sources and if you have a political standpoint.

So depending on which way you lean politically you will probably go with a different paper. I say paper but the reality is these are consumed more via companion apps rather than an actual paper.

The Sunday Times is about the only newspaper I buy now and then... and not just because the rugby coverage is excellent... 55 I just like the in-depth articles it provides... so if you have a spare few hours to kill on a Sunday... eg if travelling somewhere, then I recommend it... for a conservative paper I find it reasonably liberal... 55
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar
    I've always been more of a Guardian fan. Good panel of football journalists too.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    haven't bought a paper for years , but always used to buy the Daily Telegraph during the week and read the FT at work , weekend it would be the Sunday Times or Sunday Sport ( depending on the nipple count )

these days I read the ones that are free online so the BBC , Independent and Guardian , I make allowances for some of the overt political bias
    Quarky and PeteGill like this.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by supersub View Post
    I've always been more of a Guardian fan. Good panel of football journalists too.
    Excellent crime reporting to ....

Life is the unexpected ...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Great for cleaning windows and mirrors!
    Tingtong likes this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    To read a newspaper is to refrain from reading something worth while. The first discipline of education must therefore be to refuse resolutely to feed the mind with canned chatter.
    -Crowley
    kaptainrob likes this.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    To read a newspaper is to refrain from reading something worth while. The first discipline of education must therefore be to refuse resolutely to feed the mind with canned chatter.
    -Crowley
    Only took about 30 seconds to read that, but I could have been reading something worth while.. 555

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    -Crowley
    Just as well that he did not live to see twitter then 555

Quote Originally Posted by PeteGill View Post
    Just as well that he did not live to see twitter then 555
    The old guy yelling at the clouds 555