Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Transition to a western schooling system

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    Last week we had an interview at the school. I was able to get them into the school my son goes too and they start tomorrow.

The school is unsure what year to put the young girl in. Back home she finished year 6 in April but because of her age, in Australia they want to put her in year 5. That means next year she will redo year 6 again.

If she goes in year 5 it may be too easy for her and she will get board and frustrated. However, if they put her in year 6 for this term next year she will be with year 7 kids and the girls are much more mature.
    Wouldn't worry about the girl getting bored and frustrated. She has a few not so small challenges in social and cultural adaptation, which are probably way bigger than academic challenges..
    Quarky and OZZYGUY like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Last week we had an interview at the school. I was able to get them into the school my son goes too and they start tomorrow.

The school is unsure what year to put the young girl in. Back home she finished year 6 in April but because of her age, in Australia they want to put her in year 5. That means next year she will redo year 6 again.

If she goes in year 5 it may be too easy for her and she will get board and frustrated. However, if they put her in year 6 for this term next year she will be with year 7 kids and the girls are much more mature.
    I don't know if my thoughts have any substance/proof but I would expect the difference in level of education between the 2 countries would need her to go into year 5, despite any age difference.

Just as an example, many years ago if a child moved from QLD to NSW they were dropped back a year despite age, the difference in level of teaching was well known.

Did/does she do an entry exame to gauge her academic level?
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    Wouldn't worry about the girl getting bored and frustrated. She has a few not so small challenges in social and cultural adaptation, which are probably way bigger than academic challenges..
    First cultural issue has come up already, do they take rice for lunch? They are use to the nanny taking a warm lunch to school every day. After talking with some other familyís we know the kids got teased taking rice to school for lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post
    I don't know if my thoughts have any substance/proof but I would expect the difference in level of education between the 2 countries would need her to go into year 5, despite any age difference.

Just as an example, many years ago if a child moved from QLD to NSW they were dropped back a year despite age, the difference in level of teaching was well known.

Did/does she do an entry exame to gauge her academic level?
    Her academic level is reasonably good, she started school at 3 years old and the last 4 years has had a Tudor 5 days a week after school.

The principle just called me and has asked if we mind if she can dose some tests to bench mark her. Then we can decide on what grade to put her in.

The principle has just moved her from the year 5 class to a mixed year 5 & 6 class they have so the teacher can monitor her.

He didnít mention to me last week that they even had a mixed class.
    justcruzing1 and Ian Forbes like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    ^^^^^ Great result!!!!
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    First cultural issue has come up already, do they take rice for lunch? They are use to the nanny taking a warm lunch to school every day. After talking with some other family’s we know the kids got teased taking rice to school for lunch.

Her academic level is reasonably good, she started school at 3 years old and the last 4 years has had a Tudor 5 days a week after school.

The principle just called me and has asked if we mind if she can dose some tests to bench mark her. Then we can decide on what grade to put her in.

The principle has just moved her from the year 5 class to a mixed year 5 & 6 class they have so the teacher can monitor her.

He didn’t mention to me last week that they even had a mixed class.
    I hope she gets some classes in spelling so you don't have to "tutor" her. 555
    Rivo and OZZYGUY like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    I hope she gets some classes in spelling so you don't have to "tutor" her. 555
    Smart ass.........55

Actually I better tell them that Australia English is different to American English, some spellings are different. She is likely to tell the teacher she is wrong…..55
    Ian Forbes likes this.

Smart ass.........55

Actually I better tell them that Australia English is different to American English, some spellings are different. She is likely to tell the teacher she is wrong…..55
    I only tease friends. 555

Somewhere there is a hysterical YouTube video of a Thai teacher trying to teach a class of students how to pronounce English. I think someone here posted it a while back. Anyone who has had anything to do with the Thai schooling system would get a laugh.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...E6x_wIj1mtcUxq
    justcruzing1 and OZZYGUY like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    I expect her English is far more advanced than PJs. In hindsight, PJ should have done a full year 5 then 6, thus 2 years in primary, rather than straight into a full year in year 6 after a term at English language school. However, it is working out ok as they have an English as a second language stream and a good group of kids.

She can always repeat year 6, which is something we discussed, but she got into an excellent high school with the right support. The high school where most kids went didnt have support and the advice was to repeat 6 if we couldn't get her in to a school with the right support. By the way, apparently there is minimal stigma re repeating, unlike in our day.
    justcruzing1 and Ian Forbes like this.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

It still comes down to the teacher.... and the parents. A good teacher can motivate children. Same with parenting.

And, a lot depends on the child. Some kids, like my daughter, are self motivated. You couldn't hold my daughter back if you tried. My son was easier going and just did enough to get by. However, when I got him motivated you couldn't hold him back. Today he has his own successful construction business with lots of waiting clients.

My son in law is a good teacher and he gets his students involved in projects that give them pleasure. The excellent results of all his students in all the academics is proof of good teaching. When I think back to my schooling days there was only ONE teacher who ever motivated me. I was a bit of a day dreamer and slid through school with just barely passing grades, and continued that way through university. Girls were the distraction at university. 55

Kids are settling in school well and making new friends. The year 5/6 class the daughter is in they still haven’t decided if she will go to year 6 or 7 next year. They have done some bench mark exams but mixed results between topics.

The class have been learning Japanese since the begining of the year before she arrived. She topped the class in Japanese’s and got a certificate. She had already done Japanese back home so gave her a head start.

Its got me stuffed why schools teach Japanese’s surly Chinese would be a better choice.

Last edited by OZZYGUY; 28th October 2018 at 10:28.

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    ^ No photo Ozzy, if you are posting from google images it must be from an album, not from storage
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Quote Originally Posted by Rivo View Post
    ^ No photo Ozzy, if you are posting from google images it must be from an album, not from storage
    Hows that?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Well.i can see it now but not before..i'd be sacking Google images 55
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Quote Originally Posted by Rivo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    Well.i can see it now but not before..i'd be sacking Google images 55

I’m always having issues with images, not sure if it’s my computer or me.

I’m pretty sure it’s just me........55

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    I’m always having issues with images, not sure if it’s my computer or me.

I’m pretty sure it’s just me........55
    Imgur works good for me...never had the issues that you guys have with Google Images.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    Imgur works good for me...never had the issues that you guys have with Google Images.
    I've pretty much given up on anything but IMGUR. At least I know they will be seen. It's only a pain because I have to load them onto IMGUR first if I have a photo that will describe what I want. I many situations I like Facebook where I can just post something from my store of pictures.

Kids are settling in school well and making new friends. The year 5/6 class the daughter is in they still haven’t decided if she will go to year 6 or 7 next year. They have done some bench mark exams but mixed results between topics.

The class have been learning Japanese since the begining of the year before she arrived. She topped the class in Japanese’s and got a certificate. She had already done Japanese back home so gave her a head start.

Its got me stuffed why schools teach Japanese’s surly Chinese would be a better choice.

Maybe they know something... Pokemon comes back and takes over the world from China...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar

If her intelligence is average or above, then I wouldn't worry about the academic tests as she has 6 years to catch up, and there are cost effective ways of supporting her (e.g. Filipino teachers via Skype). I would be more concerned whether she is socially ready.
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    If her intelligence is average or above, then I wouldn't worry about the academic tests as she has 6 years to catch up, and there are cost effective ways of supporting her (e.g. Filipino teachers via Skype). I would be more concerned whether she is socially ready.

Thats what the teacher is saying, and we agree now.

After many years watching my own kids and my grand kids in school, I can hazard a guess that most children can learn more than they do IF THEY ARE MOTIVATED. It is the parents and the teacher's job to motivate them. That does not always happen.
    Quarky and OZZYGUY like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast