Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 56
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Transition to a western schooling system

  1. #1
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth, Cebu, CNX
    Posts
    6,550

    Transition to a western schooling system

    What did you do.?

    Wife’s kids hopefully should arrive in the coming months and I’m a bit stuck on schooling.

    There school year just finished, but ours doesn’t to the end of the year. We are considering home schooling until they leave for Australia and again when they arrive to the end of the year. They currently have a tutor, so we could get the tutor to do it and maybe try get a copy of the Aust school curriculum.



    Any thought? How did you go about it?
    Last edited by OZZYGUY; 8th May 2018 at 13:25.

  2. #2
    เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Perth/Chiang Rai
    Posts
    7,003
    Have you approached the school you want them to attend ?........I would think they should start school here ASAP......even midyear and the school can work out how there grades compare to what is expected at their age.
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

  3. #3
    Cadet silver
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    166
    My case is probably different to yours as I live in Thailand permanently. Our two boys went to an International school in Chiangmai for their Primary School years and then went to boarding school for secondary education in Australia. At boarding school they learnt how to drink and play Rugby and possibly not much else. One of the most noticeable things was how their accents changed from American to pure Ocker over the school years - I guess peer pressure from fellow students?

    I thought that was the best opportunity I could give them to choose any culture they wanted to live in as adults.
    retdent likes this.

  4. #4
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth, Cebu, CNX
    Posts
    6,550
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivo View Post
    Have you approached the school you want them to attend ?........I would think they should start school here ASAP......even midyear and the school can work out how there grades compare to what is expected at their age.
    I emailed the school this morning and we have a meeting with them Friday.

    Was hoping too see how others delt with it and how it worked out.

    My son goes to the same school so Im sure the school will say to start mid year so they can get the fees.....55

  5. #5
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    19,051
    In Vancouver they have a department that handles all that type of transition

    I am sure your school system might also

  6. #6
    The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    53
    Posts
    10,228
    Ours did a year intensive English at one of the dedicated schools we have here (Beaconsfield) been in general population since.
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    .

  7. #7
    เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Perth/Chiang Rai
    Posts
    7,003
    Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    Ours did a year intensive English.

    I would imagine the Filipino kids would have perfect English Language ?
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

  8. #8
    The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    53
    Posts
    10,228
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivo View Post
    I would imagine the Filipino kids would have perfect English Language ?
    would have to be farrrrr better than absolutely none!
    True though they could go directly to general population though in saying that there were a few Philo kids with our one at that time.
    .

  9. #9
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    lOZt
    Posts
    2,613
    PJ went to English language school for a few months, and then into the mainstream (last year of primary) at the start of the new school year. Whilst she had English tutoring in Thailand for a couple of years, her English was still at a very rudimentary level when coming to Oz. With the benefit of hindsight, it would have been better for her to start in year 5 (1 year behind her age classification) giving her two years in primary before secondary, however she is doing great in high school. She has had tutoring after school for the past 18 months of around 6 to 8 hours a week to build her English skills...her commitment is so impressive.

    A couple of (uninformed) thoughts:
    - keep them in the PI school system from a social and broader development perspective
    - supplement their PI schooling with Australian curriculum (either on top off or in place of some PI schooling)
    - get them into the mainstream Australian system as soon as you/they can

    Re supplementing, for less than A$10 an hour you can get a good tutor in PI.

    Re schools, try to get a school with a large number of students where English is not their first language, and where they have support programs.
    Quarky and OZZYGUY like this.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

  10. #10
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth, Cebu, CNX
    Posts
    6,550
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivo View Post
    I would imagine the Filipino kids would have perfect English Language ?
    They mostly speak English at home plus all the schooling from pre-primary on is in English.

    My wife actually failed Tagalog at school....55
    Last edited by OZZYGUY; 8th May 2018 at 22:45.
    justcruzing1 likes this.

  11. #11
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth, Cebu, CNX
    Posts
    6,550
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    A couple of (uninformed) thoughts:
    - keep them in the PI school system from a social and broader development perspective
    - supplement their PI schooling with Australian curriculum (either on top off or in place of some PI schooling)
    - get them into the mainstream Australian system as soon as you/they can

    Re supplementing, for less than A$10 an hour you can get a good tutor in PI.

    Re schools, try to get a school with a large number of students where English is not their first language, and where they have support programs.
    All good points thanks.

    I will try get the Australian curriculum and get it to the tutors, we currently have two tutors that come for a hour each day and 3 hours on Saturday. It cost $42 AUD per month each.

  12. #12
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth, Cebu, CNX
    Posts
    6,550
    Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    Ours did a year intensive English at one of the dedicated schools we have here (Beaconsfield) been in general population since.
    How is she going in the school. Remember when I met her she was very shy and English was limited.

  13. #13
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    19,051
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    PJ went to English language school for a few months, and then into the mainstream (last year of primary) at the start of the new school year. Whilst she had English tutoring in Thailand for a couple of years, her English was still at a very rudimentary level when coming to Oz. With the benefit of hindsight, it would have been better for her to start in year 5 (1 year behind her age classification) giving her two years in primary before secondary, however she is doing great in high school. She has had tutoring after school for the past 18 months of around 6 to 8 hours a week to build her English skills...her commitment is so impressive.

    A couple of (uninformed) thoughts:
    - keep them in the PI school system from a social and broader development perspective
    - supplement their PI schooling with Australian curriculum (either on top off or in place of some PI schooling)
    - get them into the mainstream Australian system as soon as you/they can

    Re supplementing, for less than A$10 an hour you can get a good tutor in PI.

    Re schools, try to get a school with a large number of students where English is not their first language, and where they have support programs.
    High school?
    Holy hell, it seemed she was a lot younger when bring her over

  14. #14
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth, Cebu, CNX
    Posts
    6,550
    Got the kids booked in to school for September pending young fallas visa.

    I was able to get them into the same school my son goes too. This school has a waiting list a few years long, but they just opened a new primary walking distance from our house. I didn’t even know it was there....55. The branch my son goes too is 15 min drive away (pre primary to high school) and we got them in because siblings have priority. My son has been there since pre primary. it’s an awesome school, not to religious and very academic.

    I have sent the school the kids school reports today and the school will assess what they are up to. They have suggested the kids don’t go back to school back home while waiting to come to Aust and the new school is going to set them some work for the tutors to do with them. This will bring them up to the Aust curriculum if needed.

    All in all I think its a good outcome.

  15. #15
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    19,766
    One thing I learned a long time ago is schooling seems to move along at the slowest common denominator. Students willing to learn can catch up quickly. My two kids went to Australia for 5 months and missed a whole bunch of school. But, when they got back they were both caught up in a matter of weeks.
    OZZYGUY likes this.

  16. #16
    Cadet Gold retdent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    444
    Aussie, you are totally offcourse with this schooling thing. Do you want them to be Aussies or not? Get Foxtel at home and educate them in AFL, can just about have school 7 days a week (for half the year at least). Oh, one other thing, for character development make sure they go for an eastern team, though the Eagles are doing well (may well be top in a few hours time). It doesn't matter that you have no interest in AFL, it is all the education an Aussie kid needs. 55.
    OZZYGUY and Hatari like this.

  17. #17
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth, Cebu, CNX
    Posts
    6,550
    Quote Originally Posted by retdent View Post
    Aussie, you are totally offcourse with this schooling thing. Do you want them to be Aussies or not? Get Foxtel at home and educate them in AFL, can just about have school 7 days a week (for half the year at least). Oh, one other thing, for character development make sure they go for an eastern team, though the Eagles are doing well (may well be top in a few hours time). It doesn't matter that you have no interest in AFL, it is all the education an Aussie kid needs. 55.
    haha, we dont even have Foxtel.......we are a Redbull TV family..

  18. #18
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    19,051
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    Got the kids booked in to school for September pending young fallas visa.

    I was able to get them into the same school my son goes too. This school has a waiting list a few years long, but they just opened a new primary walking distance from our house. I didnít even know it was there....55. The branch my son goes too is 15 min drive away (pre primary to high school) and we got them in because siblings have priority. My son has been there since pre primary. itís an awesome school, not to religious and very academic.

    I have sent the school the kids school reports today and the school will assess what they are up to. They have suggested the kids donít go back to school back home while waiting to come to Aust and the new school is going to set them some work for the tutors to do with them. This will bring them up to the Aust curriculum if needed.

    All in all I think its a good outcome.
    Reminds when we were deciding what to do about school for my stepson in Vancouver before my wife's medical complicated things

    My old boss who brought me to Canada was an amazing guy but was insanely rich
    Grew up in a 35k sq ft house
    200ft yachts

    He said he could get Nut into West Point Grey
    One of the most prestigious schools in Canada

    I kept saying thanks but no
    Finally I had to tell him I don't went my kid hanging around a bunch of rich douches like him 5555
    Ian Forbes likes this.

  19. #19
    Cadet Gold retdent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    444
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    haha, we dont even have Foxtel.......we are a Redbull TV family..
    Yeah, more with your sport liking. I showed Noi the air racing in Cannes, she did not even know that planes race. The Aussie did OK that day.

  20. #20
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth, Cebu, CNX
    Posts
    6,550
    Last week we had an interview at the school. I was able to get them into the school my son goes too and they start tomorrow.

    The school is unsure what year to put the young girl in. Back home she finished year 6 in April but because of her age, in Australia they want to put her in year 5. That means next year she will redo year 6 again.

    If she goes in year 5 it may be too easy for her and she will get board and frustrated. However, if they put her in year 6 for this term next year she will be with year 7 kids and the girls are much more mature.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •