Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: How to deal with your kid's issues?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar

How to deal with your kid's issues?

Spent some time tonight writing a complaint about one of my daughter's teachers.
    She has been complaining about him for a long time, and the severity of what she says warrants an official complaint..

However, I have never met or spoken to this teacher, all I have to go on is my daughter's perception of things..

The teacher in question is her Philosophy teacher, who is young, atheist and very judgmental...

Calls religion "stupid", suicide "selfish"and students "failures".. At least, that's what's my daughter tells me..

He keeps coming late to classes, and writes up any student who did not wait for him and left... even when he was 20 min late...

Latest incident was when he finished teaching after half an hour and used the rest of class to promote his self-made DJ music..
    That was when my daughter left the class and he wrote her up for being absent for the whole hour...

Now I believe my daughter tells me the truth, and I did file an official complaint, demanding my daughter being exempted from his classes..

But... He's teacher, she's just a student and I am just a parent who doesn't even know this teacher..

Am I being a pushover for my daughter?
    Am I responding too soon, too fast or to the wrong person?
    How would you handle a situation like this?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    I assume you know your daughter well enough to know when she is bending the truth too much. If even a bit of what she says is true then he is way out of line. It has probably already gone on long enough.

I would make an appointment with the teacher and give him a warning... either he acts like an adult and changes his ways or you will report him to every school in the district.
    RakThai likes this.

Well anyone who calls religion stupid is already in my good books... 55

I would side with your daughter too.. though would want to hear the teacher's version also..
    Ian Forbes and RakThai like this.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Make a meeting with the teacher to discuss your daughter's poor attendance issues and see what you make of him yourself.
    If he is everything your daughter said then complain as planned.
    Not speaking to the guy gives him a dozen ways to dismiss your complaint... ...
    Ian Forbes, RakThai, obes and 1 others like this.
    Life is the unexpected ...

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Rack I would call for a meeting with the teacher and the headmaster as overseer/ mediator.

I would, before calling that meeting, talk to some of the other kids in the class, to see if their opinion is the same. Get some backup so to speak. the headmaster will likely lean towards the teacher than your daughter.

I don't doubt your daughter for a second, had 2 experiences in my own education of bad teaching. I was bared from Maths in 1st form (High school) because i wouldn't play Rugby Union for the school on weekends, the Maths teacher was the Sports Master.

2nd time was in my last year of High and an English teacher that wouldn't talk or debate, just wrote notes on the blackboard all period, every period and you had to copy, if you didn't get it written before she started wiping it off...your bad luck.

I wish you luck with it, remember you have to go carefully as acusations amied at teachers can effect their caree but on the other hand if he is a bad teacher then he shouldn't hold kids futures in his hands.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Quote Originally Posted by Minder View Post
    Make a meeting with the teacher to discuss your daughter's poor attendance issues and see what you make of him yourself.
    Wise words, but it has taken too long for me not to have an opinion, so would probably get angry when talking to the teacher..

Some complaints can be dismissed, but hard to dismiss being late or remarks about religion (he will call them jokes, but the point still stands).

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Mr. Smiley's Avatar
    Is this a university course? Don't recall ever having philosophy in high school. If she doesn't like the course or the professor just withdraw her and get your money back (unless she needs it for prerequisites can just wait until the course is offered again with a different lecturer).
    Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley View Post
    Is this a university course? Don't recall ever having philosophy in high school. If she doesn't like the course or the professor just withdraw her and get your money back (unless she needs it for prerequisites can just wait until the course is offered again with a different lecturer).
    No, Dutch school-systems work different. The word for the class is not even translatable, philosophy comes closest, but life orientation is more what it teaches: religion, cultures, social interaction, those sort of things..
    It's not optional or a course as such..

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    I would make an apointment to see the teacher and discuss it without the daughter. I wouldnt get the headmaster or any other person involved or duscuss it with any other kids. If you start talking with other people it will get back to him that you are gosiping or gathering info. Chinese wispers can cause more harm. It will have a negitive effect IMO.

Discuss it one on one with the teacher then make up your mind and if needed call a meeting with your daughter, teacher and headmaster all to gether.
    Quarky and retdent like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    I would make an apointment to see the teacher and discuss it without the daughter. I wouldnt get the headmaster or any other person involved or duscuss it with any other kids. If you start talking with other people it will get back to him that you are gosiping or gathering info. Chinese wispers can cause more harm. It will have a negitive effect IMO.

Discuss it one on one with the teacher then make up your mind and if needed call a meeting with your daughter, teacher and headmaster all to gether.
    That's very civilised OG...when does he get to mow him down with the car? 555
    Quarky, PeteGill and OZZYGUY like this.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    That would be step three 555
    wabbits likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteGill View Post
    That would be step three 555

A tiny bit of an over reaction... Even by my standards. 555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    I have learnt a thing or two since in jail.....55
    PeteGill and Nomad like this.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    Wise words followed directly by two excuses ... is it fear ? .. or laziness

You started a thread asking for advice or ideas .... you got the best advice, then shut it down ... might as well close the thread

Take a look in the the mirror Doc, and ask yourself why ? ... as in why do i not want to meet him ...

Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    Wise words, but it has taken too long for me not to have an opinion, so would probably get angry when talking to the teacher..

Some complaints can be dismissed, but hard to dismiss being late or remarks about religion (he will call them jokes, but the point still stands).
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    I have learnt a thing or two since in jail.....55
    Careful guys, he is a high school teacher .... probably carries a sidearm
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    I can picture him now. I bet he's some scrawny little cnut. Probably has a beard.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Firstly I don't believe you about getting angry ... you are as able as anyone I know to switch on "Professional mode" and prevent that from happening ... your posts demonstrate it and it would be a necessary skill in your employment ...

...and speaking of your employment stop viewing this kid as a fellow professional who should be able to maintain the same standards you do ....He is probably only a few years older than your daughter .....

OMG .. he is seeking approval from his "peers" on his real career aspiration of being a DJ .... 555

I still recommend you go and talk to him .... just go easy on him ... he is clearly little more than a kid himself ....
    retdent likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydney View Post
    Wise words followed directly by two excuses ... is it fear ? .. or laziness

You started a thread asking for advice or ideas .... you got the best advice, then shut it down ... might as well close the thread

Take a look in the the mirror Doc, and ask yourself why ? ... as in why do i not want to meet him ...
    Not fear, nor laziness... As I said in the first post, I wrote a complaint, sent it and asked for opinions afterwards.. 555

Must have questioned myself, na?

Firstly I don't believe you about getting angry ... you are as able as anyone I know to switch on "Professional mode" and prevent that from happening ... your posts demonstrate it and it would be a necessary skill in your employment ...

...and speaking of your employment stop viewing this kid as a fellow professional who should be able to maintain the same standards you do ....He is probably only a few years older than your daughter .....

OMG .. he is seeking approval from his "peers" on his real career aspiration of being a DJ .... 555

I still recommend you go and talk to him .... just go easy on him ... he is clearly little more than a kid himself ....
    It's one of those things I can get really angry about!

The way I see it, I am the parent and have all the responsibilities and powers (?) that go with that.
    School takes over some of these responsibilities and powers, I give them that authority, an issue of trust and they better not abuse that!

After hearing for months about this teacher not being able to find his classroom on time, not being able to fill a full hour, giving children punishments without cause and acting like a Phaisan on the topics he teaches.. Yeah, I sort of had enough..

But.. Is there really a "professional mode" in parenting? 555
    Minder likes this.

But.. Is there really a "professional mode" in parenting? 555
    Not in parenting. That is all an unique individual event, there are no set rules and we do the best we can. We don't get taught parenting. We make it up as best we can, as we do the journey, for better or worse.

The professional mode is in dealing with patients and acting in a somewhat detached manner. Treat him in the same way. You will probably piss him off because he would likely be expecting you to lose control. Just wear your Doctor's cap. (May be go in with your stethoscope around your neck).
    Quarky, Minder, Ian Forbes and 1 others like this.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast