Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Crazy driving in Thailand

Crazy driving in Thailand

My last trip to LOS was in January this year to visit my former TGF. I took along my youngest daughter, to meet my GF as well as sight see beautiful Thailand. This was my daughters first trip to Thailand.

Anyway, it was organised that we were to meet the EXTGF's parents for one night in Surin. Prior to this, i was working out the best ways for the three of us to travel there, where the GF said she has got it covered, and that her friend (Aek who lived in Surin) was going to drive us in his car...... BTW, Surin is about 5-6 hours drive from memory from downtown BKK.

So we leave BKK, with myself and daughter sitting in the back seat of the car. Out of the city and once we hit the open road witnessed Aek driving at dangerously high speeds, and when told to take it easy and slow down, would do so for a while and then slowly creep up to the high speeds again..... It was scary and i was left in an akward position, hearing myself ask and ask to slow down...... Not just that, in the back of my mind trying to think and stay thankful, appreciating that Aek took the time and effort to drive us. The thought of a Buffalo, car or motorcycle coming out of a side street into our path crossed my mind plenty of times.... I was sitting on the edge of my seat for most of that journey and very Nervous i was because i had my daughter sitting right beside me :-(

It didnt seem to phase the GF, looking very comfortable for the duration of the journey

Oh, not surprisingly, we got booked (for which i paid the fine) for speeding.

Anyway, on return to BKK (about 9pm), i asked Aek where he was staying in BKK, and how long it would take for him to get from our hotel room to where he was staying. To my amazement, he was not stopping in BKK, and was returning to Surin that night. Moments later, to my amazement and shock found out that he also drove from Surin the day before to collect us from BKK...... Like WTF !!!!!!!.......

He still lives today and did not run off the road and hit a tree that night returning to Surin...... He has also not become a fatality of the road (or others) to date due to his high speed driving.......

Just crazy driving this fast.....

IMG_0880.jpgIMG_0882.jpgIMG_0883.jpgIMG_0884.jpgIMG_0886.jpgIMG_0887.jpg

^ what was the 'high speed' range?
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    You think Thai drivers are crazy? Try driving in the Philippines…55

We rented a pick up and drove from Chiang mai to Phayao and return last year for a mountain bike race. My Malay buddy Nelson drove because he said our Thai buddy was a crazy driver. Don’t know how many cars her overtook but it was scary, hate too see what the Thai guy was like.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Little wonder there are 65 thousand traffic deaths each year in Thailand. The top speed of my Kawasaki 250 bike is about 120 km/hr, or 130 down hill. I have guys going past me in trucks that I know are doing 150 or more. I just chuckle because I usually catch up and pass them in the hills when they are stuck behind slow moving transport trucks.... or at the 2 km long road block check points. 555

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    I have driven to Surin many times and generally travel at 140 kph you just have to be very attentive.
    Never at night if possible or school hour start and finish.
    Generally its organised kaos though many dont look or think far enough ahead.
    Plus it feels and seems safer to be a little faster than most of the traffic I did try the 100 kph thing and that was plain scary.5555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    I don't think driving in Thailand is that crazy

I think a lot of Thai drivers are not courteous but not too dangerous

My only complaint is I think driving in Thailand is draining
    I don't think many of the drives are that scenic

I nixed a trip to Koh Chang in October simply because I didn't want to do that drive

But I will happily drive from Krabi to Phuket because it's much more pleasant
    kaptainrob likes this.

"I think a lot of Thai drivers are not courteous but not too dangerous "

Not courteous can amount to dangerous, ie: no indicating, not merging correctly and failing to give-way. However, I tend to agree otherwise, in respect of most car and truck drivers.

Like Wabbits, we usually traveled that BKK to Surin and beyond at ~120 to 130 kmph which is a comfortable speed and in keeping with most other traffic. The hill climb out of BKK onto the plateau can be extremely dangerous and I detest Thai's lack of cornering abilities. They'll brake from say, 100 to 60, to take an otherwise fast corner which would be safe at 80 - 90.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Little wonder there are 65 thousand traffic deaths each year in Thailand
    Where do you get your facts from... sheesh 55

I'd only trust myself at 160 not some half wit Thai.
    I've told more than a few when I've been in a vehicle with one.... sha sha khup!

One taking me from ST to Don Sak pier once... 140 in a torrential downpour juggling 2 phones at the same time... bored it up him and he was shrugging his shoulders like he was doing a good job.

PS; you can't drive or ride like that just anywhere..deserted highways with lots of clear road and visibility you can get away with it.
    Last edited by Moo Uaon; 28th August 2018 at 18:52.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

66 deaths per day. Or 24,000 deaths a year. If Thai's aren't dangerous drivers.. why are so many dying on the roads?
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    66 deaths per day. Or 24,000 deaths a year. If Thai's aren't dangerous drivers.. why are so many dying on the roads?
    There's a whole thread about that somewhere here.
    Bikes represent something like 85% of the 25k deaths,drunk,no helmets or proper training etc etc
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Undertaking , tailgating, talking on mobile phones , speeding ... there are a lot of Thai drivers who are complete nutters ... I have had a couple of very scary trips .... I wouldn't take a journey in any of those minivans you see bombing up the roads and I now whenever possible choose a lady driver , I find they drive slower and tend obey the basic rules ..
    Rivo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    Undertaking , tailgating, talking on mobile phones , speeding ... there are a lot of Thai drivers who are complete nutters ... I have had a couple of very scary trips .... I wouldn't take a journey in any of those minivans you see bombing up the roads and I now whenever possible choose a lady driver , I find they drive slower and tend obey the basic rules ..
    I agree, the silver minivans are suicidal ... No pax protection, LPG tanks under rear seats and drivers on yaba who think they own the road.
    wabbits likes this.
    Cheers, Rob.

I had to tell a lady driver from Mr Tum's or whatever that place everyone uses to stop with the phone
    She was yapping away on two phones the minute we got in the car

20 minutes in I told her no more, she was driving me fxuking nuts

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    I had to tell a lady driver from Mr Tum's or whatever that place everyone uses to stop with the phone
    She was yapping away on two phones the minute we got in the car

20 minutes in I told her no more, she was driving me fxuking nuts
    I stopped using them a few years ago , the driver I use has a hands free kit for the phone , if she gets complaints about any of her drivers she gives then two warnings then they are sacked , next time you visit Patts I'll give you her details ...

I stopped using them a few years ago , the driver I use has a hands free kit for the phone , if she gets complaints about any of her drivers she gives then two warnings then they are sacked , next time you visit Patts I'll give you her details ...
    Yeah we stopped using them also after too many screw-ups

We will always use Ao's car for drives from BKK now

But if not, I think I would get an Uber and then ask him if he wanted to drive me somewhere

Every car I have gotten from Uber BKK as been really nice and the drivers great

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Kids grow up riding motor scooters without a driver's license, or an insured scooter. They get no instructions on safety from parents. At some point as an adult they graduate to buying a car or truck, but drive it the same way they rode the scooter... weaving in and out of mainstream traffic, and crossing multiple lanes from either side while doing so... but at much higher speeds.

As I've said before, I hate the silver vans with a passion. I'm quite certain that "some" are good drivers and follow the laws, but a whole bunch are like Kamikaze fliers in the Second World War. On every long trip ride I've taken in Thailand (anything over 200 km) I've had silver vans coming at me in my lane while they were passing other traffic on corners. When riding in the mountains of Thailand I never travel at the speed I'm capable of. I just EXPECT someone will be coming at me in my lane. Often enough, there is.

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    I agree, the silver minivans are suicidal ... No pax protection, LPG tanks under rear seats and drivers on yaba who think they own the road.
    I have heard "Yaba" mentioned plenty of times in threads here....... What is Yaba ?

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post

PS; you can't drive or ride like that just anywhere..deserted highways with lots of clear road and visibility you can get away with it.
    Correct...... Not along a road with trees and other obstacles lining the roadside, not to mention many side streets and lanes is a recipe for disaster.

BTW, the photos in my opening post showed a speedometer showing just below 160 kms/hr..... When i took that photo, i tried to do discreetly so i wasnt seen ....... I can assure you that there was times that our speed was in excess of 160...... :-(

On that same trip to LOS, my daughter, TGF and myself went no a group day trip the the river Kwai in a minivan..... We were sitting on the bench seat (me right in the middle) right behind the driver.... On the way back, i was watching the driver via the center rear view mirror nodding off..... This was brought to my attention when i noticed the van driving all over the road.... I insisted the TGF talk to the driver to keep him awake and before long, insisted he pull up at a road side dinner where i bought him a coffee and a few Red Bulls....

There was a stage where i considered offering to drive myself 5555

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobba View Post
    I have heard "Yaba" mentioned plenty of times in threads here....... What is Yaba ?
    We had a few close calls late at night on motorbikes where young guys either alcohol or yaba become boy racers...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast