• 4 Post By sidvicious
  • 7 Post By Minder
  • 1 Post By MarcTwoSix
  • 1 Post By Ian Forbes
  • 1 Post By Nechtan

Thread: Beg-Packing

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar

Beg-Packing

This has been going on for a while now, but it's the first time I've heard people giving it a name. It refers to the practice of shameless backpackers begging for money to fund their trip. Apparently it's becoming more and more common and not going down too well with the Thais 55.

I personally don't think it's much of a problem, although it's embarrassing. Just when you think the farang image couldn't get any worse. But hey, if you wanna lower yourself to that level go for it, and if fools want to part with their money, let them. How lazy can you be though? At least try and do something to earn it. Anything! Hit two spoons together and sing out of tune with a sign that says will stop singing for travel money. Still better than sitting on your ass like a bum.

https://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...a5377c208d3dc2
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    ^^^ On Stickboy they are a little more savage and call the Twatpackers 555

BTW The young lady who got bottled the other day. Seems like she is no angel herself as she skipped the country with out paying her medical bill.

https://www.stickboybkk.com/news/tha...guese-tourist/

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    The lowest form of back packing stupid gits.
    I am surprised they are just not locked up but then again maybe the police think no chance of a quick buck.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน briofoz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteGill View Post
    ^^^ On Stickboy they are a little more savage and call the Twatpackers 555

BTW The young lady who got bottled the other day. Seems like she is no angel herself as she skipped the country with out paying her medical bill.

https://www.stickboybkk.com/news/tha...guese-tourist/
    The bottler should pay.
    bacwaan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by briofoz View Post
    The bottler should pay.
    Thai Bev, Singa??? 55.
    PeteGill likes this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star
    I ran out of funds in Holland years ago. Those days(before internet), you would just rock up and get a seat allocated or go on standby.
    I forgot it was school holidays and made sure my money lasted till my last day. Got to the Schipol and was told no seats available for a week! I basically lived on Schipol airport for a week living on airline vouchers. They got me on a flight via Lilongwe(Malawi) and then Johannesburg before i got back to Cape town.
    I had a job so wouldn't have been able to get visas to show I had funds and a job! Those were the good old days of backpacking(90's). Every backpacker was respectful and never asked for money.
    Now a days these kids from 1st world countries should be made to apply for visas and write a test to show they are suitable to travel and behave.
    Quarky, PeteGill, bacwaan and 1 others like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    I'm glad the days are over when the assholes used to sit by the exit and before for the 500baht exit fee

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    This has been going on for a while now, but it's the first time I've heard people giving it a name. It refers to the practice of shameless backpackers begging for money to fund their trip. Apparently it's becoming more and more common and not going down too well with the Thais 55.

I personally don't think it's much of a problem, although it's embarrassing. Just when you think the farang image couldn't get any worse. But hey, if you wanna lower yourself to that level go for it, and if fools want to part with their money, let them. How lazy can you be though? At least try and do something to earn it. Anything! Hit two spoons together and sing out of tune with a sign that says will stop singing for travel money. Still better than sitting on your ass like a bum.

https://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...a5377c208d3dc2
    Thought it had a name already.. Patreon.com..?? 555

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    A farang with a hard-luck story was almost a standard accompaniment to your second or third beer at some of the bars along Sukhumvit a decade or so ago - their stories might vary but they would invariably claim to be a fellow Countryman, out of short of cash and needing help to pay their overstay fine or pay for accommodation for a couple of days till their flight etc -

Their situation was never their fault and always something like ripped off by a friend or money stolen from hotel room etc - no stories of guns or masked robbers that would make Police involvement mandatory.

The standard reply advised by Stickman at the time was to offer help in a way that was sure to be declined - an offer I had great pleasure in being able to make use of once - along the lines of "OMG. That's terrible. My friend works for our Embassy - I can take you there now."
    Life is the unexpected ...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Minder View Post
    A farang with a hard-luck story was almost a standard accompaniment to your second or third beer at some of the bars along Sukhumvit a decade or so ago - their stories might vary but they would invariably claim to be a fellow Countryman, out of short of cash and needing help to pay their overstay fine or pay for accommodation for a couple of days till their flight etc -

Their situation was never their fault and always something like ripped off by a friend or money stolen from hotel room etc - no stories of guns or masked robbers that would make Police involvement mandatory.

The standard reply advised by Stickman at the time was to offer help in a way that was sure to be declined - an offer I had great pleasure in being able to make use of once - along the lines of "OMG. That's terrible. My friend works for our Embassy - I can take you there now."
    Imagine if one of them called your bluff and said yes.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Minder View Post

I don't get that far
    I grab my beer and move to the other side of the bar

It's actually uncanny how easy it is to spot a bullshitter in Thailand within the 1st few sentences
    Hell you can usually tell as they are sitting down by you
    Ian Forbes likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    Imagine if one of them called your bluff and said yes.
    Then you just go along for the ride and see what transpires. It's sometimes fun to take those sort of "adventures" when you've got nothing better to do.

But, like M26 says, an old hand coming to Thailand can spot those people from a mile away.
    Minder likes this.

Nechtan
    Hasn’t go fund me taken over from this? Hahaha

I am normally more direct with them, tell them fuck off and bother someone else.
    Minder likes this.