Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: "Merry Chirstmas" thoughts

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar

"Merry Chirstmas" thoughts

This should be an interesting discussion although it is probably obvious which side people will fall on:

Before we get into the "saying Merry Christmas" debate

A couple of Xmas thoughts

-People back in NYC/Boston(especially Boston) do way too much in terms of gift giving, it's absurd given the income levels. It has always been this way even when I was growing up and it's ridiculous and totally perverts the holiday, IMO
    People who don't make that much money spending in the high hundreds and some 1000's
    My 20yr old nephew was excited to tell me he bought his 22yr old brother a 250usd putter. I told him, although very nice of him, no 20yr old s/b buying his brother a 250usd gift. That 100usd is more than plenty and they should be saving the rest

-NYC is absolutely bonkers fro bars/restaurants the week before Xmas. It's impossible to get a table unless reserved well ahead

Now to the main topic
    Saying Merry Christmas vs Happy Holidays
    Now I do think places like schools have gone too PC in doing away with Merry Christmas. As I will explain below, I think both can be used, even in schools

Now to individuals saying it.
    I think it is totally blown out of proportion in people acting like we can't say Merry Christmas
    I use my judgment and say Happy Holidays when it seems to apply to a person and Merry Christmas when it seems to apply that another person
    It really isn't that hard
    I had a Muslim girl wish me Merry Christmas at the gas station yesterday.

As for why it's a subject at all
    I had this convo with my sister, who is probably one the least worldly people you'd ever meet.
    I explained that it is sort of weird saying Merry Christmas to someone who you can probably tell doesn't celebrate it.
    It would be like an Indian saying "Happy Dewali" to me

I honestly don't see the big deal. I say both and most times I say both at the same time, which I think it the best way to go

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays seems to fit pretty easy

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    I don't think I have ever actually heard someone say Happy Holidays ... must be more of an American thing
    wabbits and Quarky like this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    On a personnel level I am quite happy to use 'Compliments of the season" As an almost life long atheist, I feel that it is a bit hypocritical of me to wish people something that I don't believe in.. However i do make exceptions on occasions, if a person wishes me first and I don't know them, I will just reply in kind.

Anyway the more you look in to the whole tradition, the more of a farce it just seems to be. OK I will put my tinfoil hat on now 5555

Last edited by PeteGill; 27th December 2018 at 02:00.
    Quarky and OZZYGUY like this.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    I have friends from many different backgrounds...and I am always glad of the chance to wish them a merry xmas, happy hanaka, joyous devali, happy Hajj etc etc...it shows that you understand them at least a little and know what is going on/important in their lives..

as for merry xmas...I've had loads of Thais wishing me well this year, along with my moslem tailor, jewish and japanese neighbours plus people from all around the world...

I am not a religious person at all...but in the spirit of hope for the world can't we just get on with it..wish each other well and smile...these festivals ain't exactly doing anyone any harm

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    I don't think I have ever actually heard someone say Happy Holidays ... must be more of an American thing
    We've always said Happy Holidays along with Merry Christmas
    I used to say it to people I wouldn't see after Christmas so it covers New Years or in NYC, to my Jewish co-workers who don't celebrate Xmas

But in the last decade or so schools and workplaces have pushed the use of Happy Holidays, to be inclusive...........which really does make sense since there is a lot of diversity in both
    So the Xmas party has been called the Holiday Party for awhile now

But people have backlashed and say we aren't allowed to say Merry Christmas............which is a bit of nonsense, I don't remember one instance where I have seen anyone offended with someone saying it

This thread can only go one way... and it aint Happy... or Merry... 55

To think, Christmas trees are a relative recent invention, started in Germany not that long ago... so much for history...

I had never heard of Happy Holidays until hearing it on "Friends" I think...

As societies become more secular and religion slowly disappears... at least in developed countries in the west... I can't see how religious events like Easter and Christmas will last beyond our generation...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post

As societies become more secular and religion slowly disappears... at least in developed countries in the west... I can't see how religious events like Easter and Christmas will last beyond our generation...
    $$$$$$$$$$
    wabbits, PeteGill and Ian Forbes like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    $$$$$$$$$$
    Yeah maybe, but it can be easily replaced by something else. Wasn't that long ago Black Friday wasn't a "thing"... now it lasts weeks.. 55

This thread can only go one way... and it aint Happy... or Merry... 55

To think, Christmas trees are a relative recent invention, started in Germany not that long ago... so much for history...

I had never heard of Happy Holidays until hearing it on "Friends" I think...

I don't see Xmas ending or waning anytime in our lifetimes...........

But I think Easter is already waning

It used to be such a big holiday but people are less religious and Xmas has jumped the shark to be much more than religion

Although Easter was really cool when I was a kid and people dressed up for it

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    I spend xmas with friends in Frithco. One family is Jewish and has three boys. 12, 10 & 8yrs old. We are always taking the piss with the boys and they give it back too. And the parents are not uptight about it. The hosts, my friends from Boston, always give the boys an xmas gift. I said why are these Jews getting gifts? They killed Jesus! 5555
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

I thought the Romans killed Jesus... the Jews just grassed him up... 55
    wabbits likes this.

I thought the Romans killed Jesus... the Jews just grassed him up... 55
    It was the Jewish priests that grassed them up. Remember the Jews were mocking/spitting at Jesus while carrying his cross to Calvary?

Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post
    It was the Jewish priests that grassed them up. Remember the Jews were mocking/spitting at Jesus while carrying his cross to Calvary?
    I need a history lesson. Tell me why the Jews dobbed Jesus in? Was it because people thought he was the son of God.. and they didn't like that?

I need a history lesson. Tell me why the Jews dobbed Jesus in? Was it because people thought he was the son of God.. and they didn't like that?
    Seriously? You don't know the stories?

Seriously? You don't know the stories?
    Not really. Was taught it at school but I just glazed over... but wouldn't mind knowing a quick summary... 55

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    I prefer to use the Merry Kissmyass and buy them nothing…..555

With gifts its not the amount you spend it’s what you buy, and the thought gone into it.

The best Christmas I have had in a long time was in Cebu two years ago. The whole family spent the day cooking and we then delivered food to all the squatters in the village.

My wife’s family have been doing this for years it has become a bit of a tradition since her grandparents started it when they were alive. I had the pleasure of my daughter and son helping us prepare and deliver the food. Seeing the faces on my kids helping these people was priceless and better than any gift.

My kids couldn’t believe how some people live and how appreciative the families were to receive such a small inexpensive gift. Something my kids will never forget.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    back in the west when I was married my ex wife and I volunteered on Xmas eve and Xmas day at a local sydney soup kitchen for the homeless...those days were probably my most gratifying xmases
    wabbits likes this.

Not really. Was taught it at school but I just glazed over... but wouldn't mind knowing a quick summary... 55
    Were you raised a Protestant?

Were you raised a Protestant?
    Church of England allegedly... but I hardly saw a church or any religious books. So just picked up stuff along the way...

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    I got C of E then Baptist then Catholic well i will be buggered.5555 Well lucky not me but I don't trust those Catholics.555
    I never went to church with my Mum and Dad but was sent to Sunday school for a bit. Holidays with the Grans was just about an all day thing worst part of staying there...
    Catholic boarding school those guys really know how to indoctrinate.....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast