• 6 Post By Minder
  • 1 Post By crispy
  • 1 Post By retdent
  • 1 Post By retdent
  • 3 Post By bacwaan

Thread: Working on your own home

Cadet Gold

Working on your own home

Hi all not much happening here so i thought i would throw this question up as i have heard different variations of what is what . What i am asking is if you are living in thailand and you and your significant other buy a property house condo farm ect what are the laws on doing maintenance work or upgrades to say bathrooms kitchens ,painting ect general homeowner stuff .
    One person told me that it is a big no no as anything can be construed as working and you will have a thai dob you in and immigration police must attend ,another said that as long as you are not in a big city you should be ok . This most probably will best answered by those who are living there and have their own property . Being a tradie to get anyone to do things i can do myself is a bit of a slap in the face , i watched a video by a guy i follow in the north and he went to this massive candy (hardware) store and i could spend a few hours in there easily .
    So that is my question hopefully i can get a few answers cheers

Working around your own property is not a problem. I have supervised construction, concreted, painted, tiled, landscaped and maintained gardens all in plain sight. Immigration regularly visit our mooban to check for illegal workers, especially with over 70 new homes under construction, and only Tai-yai's are checked for permits. After all, they are being employed, or paid, whilst we farang land owners are essentially providing that employment.
    crispy likes this.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    A valid enough question but it would look like a Thai Dreaming BM reunion at the airport if they started throwing us all out for doing work around the (wife's) house ....

??????? - ??????? ????? ??? ?????? ????? ????????? ?? ????? ????? ????????? ???????? ???? ??????????

Thaiwatsadu is probably the candy store you are talking about .. and yeah, if they served beer that would keep most of my day-time activities covered ....
    OzzyDamo and crispy like this.
    Life is the unexpected ...

Cadet Gold
    Hi minder the store was global or something along those lines but yep my kinda place .
    Minder likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Cannot help but in PI if its a issue you just give someone some money.....isnt Thailand still like that?

Platinum
    Quote Originally Posted by crispy View Post
    Hi minder the store was global or something along those lines but yep my kinda place .
    Global House

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    Minder and crispy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Minder View Post
    A valid enough question but it would look like a Thai Dreaming BM reunion at the airport if they started throwing us all out for doing work around the (wife's) house ....

??????? - ??????? ????? ??? ?????? ????? ????????? ?? ????? ????? ????????? ???????? ???? ??????????

Thaiwatsadu is probably the candy store you are talking about .. and yeah, if they served beer that would keep most of my day-time activities covered ....
    as long as it's not the wife throwing you out for not doing any work! :P
    you could say "she made me do it!" they would feel sorry for you.
    Minder, kaptainrob and crispy like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน 1080's Avatar
    I am currently having a carport and man shed constructed and by gbus the crew would welcome a visit by the IP. I try to not say or intefere to much but fcuk, as soon as you let your guard down the buggers are at it again.
    It's your project fella, Global have heaps of stuff to help however, you often do need to talk to more than one person to get what you need at times.
    I am out in the sticks and no problems as yet.

Ordered five cube of concrete the other day for a slab and the whole lot of em wanted me to help, sorry no work permit!!!

Just do what the locals are happy with and keep the locals happy.
    crispy likes this.

Cadet Gold
    Hi 1080 im just looking at small jobs around the house things like concrete would be a contractor same as wiring things up plumbing isnt to bad unless its a severe leak just needed to try to set the record straight ya get so many different stories ,i know a fella in the north who is a builder and he pays his inlaws to do the work .

Cadet Bronze
    some years ago there was an expat
    arrested for mowing his lawn

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oldfella View Post
    some years ago there was an expat
    arrested for mowing his lawn
    His own lawn? I was always told getting caught mowing someone else's grass would get you in trouble. 555
    Life is the unexpected ...

Cadet Gold
    Thats a bit rough mowing your own bloody lawn rekon their are better things to be done ,i bet the person who dobbed him in has a relative who will cut his lawn with a pair of scissors on an hourly rate .
    Tingtong likes this.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Thing is..in this joint they will get you if they want to...you can get away with it for many years..then cross someone who is connected..or just get plain unlucky..and you can be busted for stuff everyone else is doing...

my best advice is keep your head down..be polite..and never boss a Thai bloke about

Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    Thing is..in this joint they will get you if they want to...you can get away with it for many years..then cross someone who is connected..or just get plain unlucky..and you can be busted for stuff everyone else is doing...

my best advice is keep your head down..be polite..and never boss a Thai bloke about
    Even keeping your head down is considered work in some places...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

I have had no problems doing stuff around the home in Lamphun, big fences may help and I am also a bit of a lazy cnut. Never had a problem doing things around the mother in law's house either (and a policeman lives next door and another one with pips only a few more doors down. Good advise about one's behaviour and how you interact with Thais.

Du Home is another of the Bunnings type of hardware shops around. Can sure spend loads of time there; its a pity that they are not attached to the same malls that the ladies like to hang around.
    crispy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by retdent View Post
    Du Home is another of the Bunnings type of hardware shops around. Can sure spend loads of time there; its a pity that they are not attached to the same malls that the ladies like to hang around.
    DoHome started out as UbonWatsadu and is perhaps better known in Isaan as it's origin was Ubon Ratchathani. They've overtaken ThaiWadsadu [Central Group/Baan&Beyond] and caused a revamp of Global House (also founded in Isaan).

Agree with Retdent, eye candy at Baan&Beyond or HomePro beats the pants off DoHome/Global. 55
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Minder View Post

That's one meeting I wouldn't be attending

Allowed or not, I wouldn't be working around the house 5555

Cadet Gold
    Well thanks for the info when i am there in oct i might just ask my brother and sister in law to see what they can find out both being police officers ,it would be sad if i have to employ someone whos standards may be lower than i would expect for a job to be done .

I built about 2 years ago and the painters were the worst of the rabble. I had a stand off at one stage and kicked them off the block, only to be sucked in to let them resume. after the first coat inside I placed another 2 myself. The outside needs repainting now, I am sure that only a primer and first coat was placed. I ended up with 2/3 of the outside paint left but not much of the inside one. Do yourself a favour, have the relies afford you protection and do it yourself, and, (going on my partners painting ability) don't give your wife a brush unless you are happy for splatter to be everywhere.
    crispy likes this.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    ^ and make sure you only use top quality paint...like British Paints etc etc...you will pay more for it but it will end up saving you a lot as it lasts more than twice as long as the poorer quality ones...
    crispy, OZZYGUY and retdent like this.