Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: How much do you spend on holiday?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar

How much do you spend on holiday?

I asked SE about budgeting for his holidays
    Then Rockitt remarked that spending on girls and booze is the real cost

And he is definitely right
    When I was on the hunt I'd easily spend 8k/nt usually more

Even after I stopped mongering I was still spending a lot

Now for a 10 day holiday I have it down to about 3500-4kcad

I usually can use points to stay in a 5 star hotel for 3 days in BKK
    Then when I head to the beach I like to spend about 100cad/nt but will spend 150-200cad/nt if I really like a place

My spending money varies from 4k-6k/day
    But my 1st few days in BKK at the 5 star hotel I can spend 8-10k because we usually have Nut and some of the younger kids at the pool and go to nice dinners

Planning a 9 day trip to Mexico with my wife and that will be around 4500cad including a rental car

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    my only problem is if I go on a two week or a two month holiday , the daily average is very similar.... agree with Rockitt the majority of the cost is on entertainment ,if I didn't drink I would save a fortune

Edit ....not sure the last part is true , I would probably spend it elsewhere
    Last edited by Stillearly; 9th April 2019 at 05:46.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    I reckon if you are mongering it could double or treble the cost. If GFE then everything is x 2 I.e. meals, trips, nights out. Thailand is not cheap but a great time. Was in London for a weekend a while ago and my god it’s expensive but best place for a weekend break.

I reckon in Hkt I could spend 250 euro a day. In Samui it was less but not by much. If you take a girl then there are the fixed costs of bar fine and what you give her. Was chatting to people who were boasting they did Thailand on 10 euro a day. I was thinking internally that I could go to ethiopia, eat plumpynut and stay in a shanty town for 10 euro a day but wouldn’t be a holiday.

When I lived in Colombia it was quite cheap. And by far my favourite ever place to live.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar
    A night out on Bangla would set me back at least 10k and on some nights 12-15k. Even taking out say 2k for me and say 3k for BF and the girl, the majority of the money would go on drinks for other girls.

I spent a bit less in Bangkok. Lady drinks are not as bad there. When I'm meeting up with tinder dates the costs come right down as we are going to normal bars/places to eat ect.
    Stillearly likes this.

I find I spend a lot less when holidaying on my own and only drinking maybe once or twice the whole holiday... if I travel with mates... it's drinking every night... which last time nearly killed me....

Also when alone I eat a lot less. But I do have more massages when on my own... 55
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    I just KNEW I was a cheap Charlie. 5555

This topic reminds me of when I was married to my first wife and she tried to compare the length of our holidays rather than the cost. If I took a one month fishing holiday the cost of gas for the trip was about $500. I ate and slept in my camper, so the living cost was nothing more than at home. A one month holiday to Australia for her was close to $10,000. All the same-same to her perspective. Just because the 10 grand she spent came out of MY pocket didn't seem to register with her. 555

It is hard to call my 4 to 5 month trips to Thailand a "holiday". It is more like a life style where I basically live for free. I don't have to pay to heat my home when I'm gone, I don't have pay for vehicle insurance when I'm away, and I turn off my cable TV, internet, telephone while I'm away.... which is the same as I pay for my hotel room each month in Chiang Mai. Food is pretty much a saw off because I seldom go out for a meal in Canada, but I do so regularly in Thailand. And, even then it is fairly inexpensive... under 200 baht.

In Thailand I spend about 2000 baht a week on ladies and that is pretty much it. It used to be double or triple that, but I'm slowing down in my old age. It's only if I have friends visit me in Chiang Mai that I go out to bars. Most of the time I find it too noisy in bars for my deaf ears, and I seldom drink more than one Chang beer.

Quote Originally Posted by supersub View Post
    A night out on Bangla would set me back at least 10k and on some nights 12-15k. Even taking out say 2k for me and say 3k for BF and the girl, the majority of the money would go on drinks for other girls.

I spent a bit less in Bangkok. Lady drinks are not as bad there. When I'm meeting up with tinder dates the costs come right down as we are going to normal bars/places to eat ect.
    See when I was mongering I never chinced on LD's
    I wasn't stupid and could pretty much always feel when it was right to let loose on the LD's
    But if I am hanging out with a girl at the bar I am going to buy her and some friends LD's....
    I didn't allow myself to be taken advantage of but I was very liberal

Nothing worse for the vibe when you see a guy hanging with a BG all night and see him being really stingy with the LD's
    Or when the guy acts as if he is bestowing a dowry on the girl by buying her a couple LD's

I often see guys who go nuts at the girls because they feel that because they brought them to posh restaurants spending a fortune on dinner and bought them an expensive outfit that they don't have to give them the cash. Or who spend ages negotiating fees in the bar and get pi55ed off over 500 baht when they blew thousands on drinks.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post

Nothing worse for the vibe when you see a guy hanging with a BG all night and see him being really stingy with the LD's
    Or when the guy acts as if he is bestowing a dowry on the girl by buying her a couple LD's

The 1st few years I struggled to say no. In fact 1 night at High Roller I must have bought all the girls in the bar a tequila. Now I'll only buy a drink for the girl if I plan to take her or want to chat to her. In Bangkok I'll also sometimes buy a drink for the cashier or mamasan. It just depends on the night and if I'm having a good time.

The funniest is where a girl comes up to you, smiles and then literally right away asks for a drink. Or she brings over a friend who does the exact same thing. "She my friend..". Ooh why didn't you say so. As if that's gonna magically make me change my mind lol I do get a kick out of the ones who hardly try.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    When I go to Chiang mai for mountain biking I spend around 2500tb per day, thats meals, hotel, riding and a few beers.

When I was single it was at least double maybe 4x that. Girls suck you dry
    Rockitt likes this.

Trips are expensive in LOS. Day trips can be close to 70 euro in high season but are good fun.

Going to Amsterdam on 31st of May for 4 days with a mate. Flight and hotel is 400 euro and probably have 1k spending money. Going to a techno festival for 1 day and then doing a few galleries and museums. Looking forward to it. Barcelona for a stag in August.

Hope to go to Los soon though. Way to long since I have been.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    I used to have regular 10-12k nights as well, but that hasn't happened for a long time. Money-wise I might have the one big night now, maybe two. And like SS said, it usually goes to LDs. A combination of having become wiser and not being that fussed with mongering anymore has probably taken my average down to about 5k a night, not including hotel.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

I think if you a solo traveler then it's difficult to keep the costs down. I have found if there is a group of guys then the big bills from lds aren't as frequent. Also buying a bottle at a bar is definitely very cost effective.

But if you are by yourself then there is an opportunity cost of having to make your own fun. As long as I don't feel being ripped I don't mind. But people trying to give me a massage to get a drink annoys me as I have a strange phobia of being touched by strangers. Guys who give out about how much they spend on lds is bizarre as a no is all that's needed.

One thing that amuses me is guys buying champagne at bars for over 150 euro. Biggest waste of money ever.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Notorius View Post
    I think if you a solo traveler then it's difficult to keep the costs down. I have found if there is a group of guys then the big bills from lds aren't as frequent. Also buying a bottle at a bar is definitely very cost effective.

But if you are by yourself then there is an opportunity cost of having to make your own fun. As long as I don't feel being ripped I don't mind. But people trying to give me a massage to get a drink annoys me as I have a strange phobia of being touched by strangers. Guys who give out about how much they spend on lds is bizarre as a no is all that's needed.

One thing that amuses me is guys buying champagne at bars for over 150 euro. Biggest waste of money ever.
    The toilet guys are the worse.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    The toilet guys are the worse.
    In new tiger they would actually make constant remarks when people wouldn't tip. Last time I was there they were nowhere to be seen which was good. However I used to short circuit it as I knew the main guy in there. I used to go straight up to him give him 100 baht and say I don't want any massages or paper towels. Never was bothered for the rest of the night.

There was a great Snapchat of these guys in Dublin on a night out. They befriended the Nigerian toilet attendant in the club and invited him back to there's for a house party. They forgot about him until one of the guys asked where he was. They found him upstairs in the toilet with all his paraphernalia set out. Cracked me up.

Quote Originally Posted by supersub View Post
    The 1st few years I struggled to say no. In fact 1 night at High Roller I must have bought all the girls in the bar a tequila. Now I'll only buy a drink for the girl if I plan to take her or want to chat to her. In Bangkok I'll also sometimes buy a drink for the cashier or mamasan. It just depends on the night and if I'm having a good time.

The funniest is where a girl comes up to you, smiles and then literally right away asks for a drink. Or she brings over a friend who does the exact same thing. "She my friend..". Ooh why didn't you say so. As if that's gonna magically make me change my mind lol I do get a kick out of the ones who hardly try.
    Remember I was mongering in a slightly different era
    Girls asked you for LD but then you had to shoo them away because they'd stay by you all night from on LD

I almost never walked up to a bar and bought girls drinks
    I liked to sit down and feel the vibe out and see how the girls were acting
    Then I'd buy a drink and if I felt like she might be someone I take for the night and her friends seemed cool I'd buy them drinks
    I always thought it's a hard and somewhat scary job for them so if I wanted to take a girl let her have fun and become comfortable

Oh and LD were much cheaper too so that helps

Quote Originally Posted by Notorius View Post

But being married and then having kids around can add up quick also!
    Especially if you stay at a nice hotel that isn't cheap at the pool
    There is no way I am limiting what the kids want at the pool so let order whatever they want
    But at places like Hilton it can still add up in Thailand

Oh and my wife literally orders the most expensive drink on the menu EVERY TIME
    She doesn't even do it on purpose but every time!

There is no way I am limiting what the kids want at the pool so let order whatever they want

Completely get you. I spent 2 weeks with a gf who flew from Perth and we had a normal holiday. Flights to Laos, Chiang Mai etc all added up. 5 star hotels while majorly discounted with agoda still added up. Also couples massages, nights out, trips etc made the holiday (while not quite as expensive as a mongering one) certainly wasn't cheap. If you add kids in the mix then yes.

One funny thing happened at the pool of a 5 star resort. I ordered a cocktail and it came out with huge fanfare and on the tray had a small kettle which had dry ice smoke coming out of the spout. Nobody gave instructions and I thought that there was more of the alcohol in the kettle. I reposted and was just about to take a gulp when I saw three pool boys running at me screaming. Apparently no extra drink in the kettle and they said 'you drink you die'. Why the fcuk they didn't say at the beginning but this is Thailand. 555

My mate is just back from Cancun. 10 days in a resort all inclusive including flight was 1500. Spent another 1k. But I thought it was an amazing deal. He was there for spring break and he said was the most hedonistic amazing holiday of his life.

Good few of my friends are going to Cancun. They are not put off by recent murders of tourists caught up in gang crossfire but it is on my list befrore it turns into acupolco.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน slampay's Avatar

Tell me about it....I could spend 15k-20k US dollars for a week with the 3 boys, my ex and some nephews, my mom and mother in law.
    But now the boys are men its something we talk about and remember as good times, I think it also gave them some perspective on what's doable in life if you put your mind to it.

My middle son who is 25 and killing it in his career is putting together a cruise for about 9-10 of us later this summer...he's pumped to be able to host us. Kinda cool.

**ps. He knows I don't like cruises! 555
    Last edited by slampay; 9th April 2019 at 11:10.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast