Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Thailand and the fallout from mass tourism

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Nearly all countries with onshore prevailing winds and currents have a beach waste problem, Perth WA no doubt sees waste from all over the Indian ocean (except MH370), even NZ gets a small amount from Australia and other Pacific Islands. More data here https://www.theoceancleanup.com/grea...garbage-patch/
    The beaches off the west coast of Vancouver Island always has stuff floating ashore. Years ago I used to pick up the glass fishing floats that came from Japanese off shore fishermen. Then the glass floats became an "in thing" to collect and companies started producing them in various colours just for that market. I've got hundreds of photos of our west coast beaches with the commercial foam fishing floats hanging from trees along the west coast trail. Apparently it takes about 7 years for a floating item to travel across the Pacific Ocean and land on our beaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Tingtong View Post
    F@ck rope must be cheap in South East Asia to throw it away like that . I have Ropes that I use and have had for 10 + years . I look after them and keep them in the Garage in good nick . 'A Man without a Rope is like a Fish Without a Bicycle' ...Churchill .
    The rope comes from off shore commercial fishing nets that are sometimes a kilometer long. During a storm they get torn apart and are then discarded. That is what kills so many sea creatures like whales, turtles and dolphins.
    Tingtong likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน 1080's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Apparently most of them throw their waste over their shoulders and keep walking
    Weird that I've actually never seen any Thai throw any waste on the ground let alone most of them (I'm sure some do, I've just never seen it)
    Must be walking around with my eyes closed for 15 years!
    Yes I would agree with your statement, you only see what you want to see.

The operators of the tour boats are trying to make a buck while they can so they keep bringing tourists out to the Islands and in the process destroying the attraction.
    Left to their own devices and without regulation or improved infrstructure the place won't be worth visiting.

And yes I am now an expat but I am not a dickhead and I do not shit on Thais however I do observe their behaviour.
    Ian Forbes likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    The rope comes from off shore commercial fishing nets that are sometimes a kilometer long. During a storm they get torn apart and are then discarded. That is what kills so many sea creatures like whales, turtles and dolphins.
    Mainly comes from floating fish traps around sumatra. M26 is correct, the cheap polypropylene rope deteriorates very fast with prolonged exposure to sun and weather in general.

Good quality nylon rope or braided sheet line is too good for the purpose.
    Ian Forbes likes this.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    The ocean currents around Ko Lipe are amazing. They actually deposit piles of plastic and litter in the middle of the island. A mile from the beach. How do they do that?..
    1080 and Ian Forbes like this.
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post
    The ocean currents around Ko Lipe are amazing. They actually deposit piles of plastic and litter in the middle of the island. A mile from the beach. How do they do that?..
    Unless you're being facetious the answer is quite simple. Ko Lipe has moderate tidal range up to 3m/10ft, which can send floating waste back up any river with a rising tide and assistant wind direction.

Located near the northern end of the Malacca Straits Ko Lipe probably cops more pollution than Phuket as the currents are very strong between Indian Ocean and Java Sea due to tidal differential .... even more extreme around Bali.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Cadet
    Its a good thread if you want to see a truly disgusting beach Kuta beach Bali in Jan-Mar i have seen babies nappies and medical waste on Bali's premier surfing beach my little experience in Thailand Ao nang and Koh Samui at the times i was there they seemed clean.
    My personal thoughts in places like Bali is most of the rubbish gets to the ocean by the rivers the rivers in most third world countries are used as rubbish tips. Again in Thailand the touristy places I visited the rubbish collection and rubbish trucks I saw seemed to be not that much different to back home in Australia. With many public rubbish bins everywhere.
    I would be happy to pay a small tax at the airport if i knew the money would go towards cleaning things like the beaches and islands but being Asia i doubt the money would ever find its way to a rubbish collector.
    I am going to Phuket in 2 weeks time so I will check it out.
    Ian Forbes likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน 1080's Avatar
    Koh Lipe Rubbish Problem: Trash, Building Sites & Beach Fires | Pack Thailand

This artical is a couple of years old but you can get the idea of the problems tourist destinations are having to deal with. This is another example of makeing hay while the sun shines.
    Last edited by 1080; 9th June 2019 at 00:18.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1080 View Post
    Koh Lipe Rubbish Problem: Trash, Building Sites & Beach Fires | Pack Thailand

This artical is a couple of years old but you can get the idea of the problems tourist destinations are having to deal with. This is another example of makeing hay while the sun shines.
    That is very much what Koh Samet looks like
    The beaches are very nice but there are so many spots when riding around the island that are such eyesores

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Unless you're being facetious the answer is quite simple. Ko Lipe has moderate tidal range up to 3m/10ft, which can send floating waste back up any river with a rising tide and assistant wind direction.

Located near the northern end of the Malacca Straits Ko Lipe probably cops more pollution than Phuket as the currents are very strong between Indian Ocean and Java Sea due to tidal differential .... even more extreme around Bali.
    3 mtrs? I said 1 mile. It blatant litter. Growing on the side of the cross island pathway. No tide or river put it there. There is no litter management. Or maybe that is their management? Leave it in one spot. Thailand needs to up it's island litter management.
    Ian Forbes likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    3 mtrs? I said 1 mile. It blatant litter. Growing on the side of the cross island pathway. No tide or river put it there. There is no litter management. Or maybe that is their management? Leave it in one spot. Thailand needs to up it's island litter management.
    Like I said Koh Samet has those inland eyesore spots also

They do, however, have a no bag policy
    So if you go into a 7-11 they don't give you plastic bags

The problem is that it costs money to get rid of waste, and money is in short supply at the level where the average person is involved. Plastic waste is a relatively recent problem caused by the oil industry. The oil industry does not give a shit about the environment and never has. It's all about maximizing profits. 150 years ago most stuff was biodegradable, but even the ancient people had problems. They just moved to a different location until nature took care of their mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    The problem is that it costs money to get rid of waste, and money is in short supply at the level where the average person is involved. Plastic waste is a relatively recent problem caused by the oil industry. The oil industry does not give a shit about the environment and never has. It's all about maximizing profits. 150 years ago most stuff was biodegradable, but even the ancient people had problems. They just moved to a different location until nature took care of their mess.
    South Thailand need an island protection program. There probably is one that does fuck all.
    Ian Forbes likes this.

Sad video. Problem is probably happening in all the tourist hot spots around the world. Not a great sign for the future.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12