Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Thailand and the fallout from mass tourism

Platinum

Thailand and the fallout from mass tourism

This video popped up in my Youtube stream yesterday, I don't think it is approved by TAT....

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน 1080's Avatar
    Have been to Phuket maybe a dozen times from 2008 but never to the Islands, Have no intention going there now. The islands that is.

Most of the Thai coastline is jammed with plastic waste from what I have seen. A damb shame.

Just do your own little bit each day and hope your fellow man does the same.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1080 View Post
    Have been to Phuket maybe a dozen times from 2008 but never to the Islands, Have no intention going there now. The islands that is.

Most of the Thai coastline is jammed with plastic waste from what I have seen. A damb shame.

Just do your own little bit each day and hope your fellow man does the same.
    The thing is, and I am not singling you out 1080 or Ammeno
    We bitch and moan about places being too touristy but there are so many places we can go in Thailand that aren't but don't have all the amenities or like-minded crowds

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน 1080's Avatar
    Like I said, most of the Thai coastline is jammed with plastic waste. I have been here on and off long enough to know what I am talking about and I have not allways spent my time in the Touristy places.

Most Thais, that I have witnessed just throw their waste over their shoulder and keep walking. My little neck of the woods is geting cleaner all the time mainly because they can get money for recycling. and I pay the kids a few baht for collecting chip and lolly wrappers.

Most of the crap is washed up from all over the Addaman area and also the Gulf in general, I do not blame the tourists for this dillema but the general Thai perseption that it is not their problem, someone else will pick up after them, childlike mentality but that is how they seem to wired.

I am just as happy to sleep under the stars as stay in a resort so don't go down that line matey, this thread is all about the destruction of the natural enviornment.

Quite honestly, I believe the Thais will end up fucking this country through abbsolute greed, bless their little brown hides.
    kaptainrob and Ian Forbes like this.

Platinum
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    The thing is, and I am not singling you out 1080 or Ammeno
    We bitch and moan about places being too touristy but there are so many places we can go in Thailand that aren't but don't have all the amenities or like-minded crowds
    Did you see the video?

Quote Originally Posted by 1080 View Post
    Like I said, most of the Thai coastline is jammed with plastic waste. I have been here on and off long enough to know what I am talking about and I have not allways spent my time in the Touristy places.

Most Thais, that I have witnessed just throw their waste over their shoulder and keep walking. My little neck of the woods is geting cleaner all the time mainly because they can get money for recycling. and I pay the kids a few baht for collecting chip and lolly wrappers.

Most of the crap is washed up from all over the Addaman area and also the Gulf in general, I do not blame the tourists for this dillema but the general Thai perseption that it is not their problem, someone else will pick up after them, childlike mentality but that is how they seem to wired.

I am just as happy to sleep under the stars as stay in a resort so don't go down that line matey, this thread is all about the destruction of the natural enviornment.

Quite honestly, I believe the Thais will end up fucking this country through abbsolute greed, bless their little brown hides.
    I wasn't going down any line, mate...........

I guess I shouldn't have bothered pointing out that I wasn't singling you or anyone else out

Just another dickhead expat that wants to live in Thailand and shit on the Thais.............jeez that's novel, dime a fcuking dozen
    PeteGill likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by anmeno View Post
    Did you see the video?
    I don't comment on anything I don't watch

The title was Mass Tourism and it's effects
    I was just commenting that there was an aspect and a discussion to be had that there is other places that don't have Mass Toursim
    A lot of the video was talking about the overcrowded tourist sites

I wasn't refuting that there is a downside and damage to it all

And by the way, you do realize I said "we", including myself in my commentary
    Last edited by MarcTwoSix; 8th June 2019 at 00:40.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    I don't comment on anything I don't watch

The title was Mass Tourism and it's effects
    I was just commenting that there was an aspect and a discussion to be had that there is other places that don't have Mass Toursim
    A lot of the video was talking about the overcrowded tourist sites

I wasn't refuting that there is a downside and damage to it all

And by the way, you do realize I said "we", including myself in my commentary
    I have seen thousands of biased reports on just about everything. The media (or a single person) starts out with an agenda and then searches for anything that backs up their point of view. And, while doing so, they also ignore anything that does NOT back up their personal agenda. Global warming, global climate change, vegan eating, save the whales, save the fish, religious choices, pesticides, plastic garbage, political points of view, electric cars, solar panels, hydro power, wind power, nuclear power, or just about anything you can name can cause a major discussion about the pros and cons.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    I have seen thousands of biased reports on just about everything. The media (or a single person) starts out with an agenda and then searches for anything that backs up their point of view. And, while doing so, they also ignore anything that does NOT back up their personal agenda. Global warming, global climate change, vegan eating, save the whales, save the fish, religious choices, pesticides, plastic garbage, political points of view, electric cars, solar panels, hydro power, wind power, nuclear power, or just about anything you can name can cause a major discussion about the pros and cons.
    I take issue with global climate change.. scientists don't just Google their research... 55

If you can find evidence of sea levels dropping and Antarctica expanding rather than shrinking... do share....
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

The year 2000 movie, The Beach, starring Leonardo DiCaprio, is a good example of what can happen when an area becomes too popular.

Who wouldn't want to visit a spectacularly beautiful spot like this?

Unfortunately, once tourists start arriving in huge numbers the small area can't handle it. You can't blame the tourists, or even the many vendors who want to service them. The responsibility rests totally on the shoulders of the local politicians to regulate it. I highly doubt that the tourists are responsible for all the garbage left behind.

The Philippines had to take drastic steps and close down Boracay Island until some of the mess there was cleaned up and regulated.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarky View Post
    I take issue with global climate change.. scientists don't just Google their research... 55

If you can find evidence of sea levels dropping and Antarctica expanding rather than shrinking... do share....
    Nobody is saying that climate change does not exist; but what is causing it is an entirely different issue. And, there are many who want to want financial gain to market their agenda. There are lots of pseudo-scientists who have made a lot of money on marketing their agenda. Former Vice President Al Gore and David Suzuki are just two who have made a lot of money without actually doing anything positive.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar
    I've been doing some research on El Nido this week and would be surprised if that isn't temporarily shut down as well.

Quote Originally Posted by supersub View Post
    I've been doing some research on El Nido this week and would be surprised if that isn't temporarily shut down as well.
    Good for them if they can sort out the problems BEFORE it gets too bad. Trying to fix things afterwards is far more difficult. The sewer outflow from large hotels in the Phuket area is a good example.

Quote Originally Posted by supersub View Post
    What countries do you think or have been to, do the best to protect the environment??

For me it is Costa Rica
    I can't recall ever seeing any trash on the beach or the waters

And I know they can be pretty strict with how much building they allow

What countries do you think or have been to, do the best to protect the environment??

For me it is Costa Rica
    I can't recall ever seeing any trash on the beach or the waters

And I know they can be pretty strict with how much building they allow
    Iceland apparently. Costa Rica 3rd

https://www.conserve-energy-future.c...ries-earth.php
    Last edited by Quarky; 8th June 2019 at 09:20.
    Ian Forbes likes this.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

The majority of waste that washes up around Phuket is delivered by ocean currents and wind. Ask Chob, we've both seen the rope, fish floats, light bulbs, even lifejackets washed up after a storm. The fishing boats in the Andaman and Bay of Bengal number in the 1000's and come from many countries.

Other waste from India, Bangladesh, Myanmar and Indonesia is also washed up on the western coastline of Thailand and southern Myanmar, carried by currents which although changing seasonally, are aided by predominant south easterly winds for much of the year.

As IF notes, media are highly selective in portraying their bias in a story and whilst Thai's have poor regard for the environment it would be wrong to blame ALL the waste on them.

1080 is correct in that recycling encourages ppl to NOT discard plastics and glass by the roadside or in creeks but the number of plastic food bags and wrappers is a problem.

Kamala Beach after storm ~ 2011

Last edited by kaptainrob; 8th June 2019 at 10:04.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Nearly all countries with onshore prevailing winds and currents have a beach waste problem, Perth WA no doubt sees waste from all over the Indian ocean (except MH370), even NZ gets a small amount from Australia and other Pacific Islands. More data here https://www.theoceancleanup.com/grea...garbage-patch/
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    The majority of waste that washes up around Phuket is delivered by ocean currents and wind. Ask Chob, we've both seen the rope, fish floats, light bulbs, even lifejackets washed up after a storm. The fishing boats in the Andaman and Bay of Bengal number in the 1000's and come from many countries.

Other waste from India, Bangladesh, Myanmar and Indonesia is also washed up on the western coastline of Thailand and southern Myanmar, carried by currents which although changing seasonally, are aided by predominant south easterly winds for much of the year.

As IF notes, media are highly selective in portraying their bias in a story and whilst Thai's have poor regard for the environment it would be wrong to blame ALL the waste on them.

1080 is correct in that recycling encourages ppl to NOT discard plastics and glass by the roadside or in creeks but the number of plastic food bags and wrappers is a problem.

Kamala Beach after storm ~ 2011

Apparently most of them throw their waste over their shoulders and keep walking
    Weird that I've actually never seen any Thai throw any waste on the ground let alone most of them (I'm sure some do, I've just never seen it)
    Must be walking around with my eyes closed for 15 years!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    F@ck rope must be cheap in South East Asia to throw it away like that . I have Ropes that I use and have had for 10 + years . I look after them and keep them in the Garage in good nick . 'A Man without a Rope is like a Fish Without a Bicycle' ...Churchill .

Quote Originally Posted by Tingtong View Post
    F@ck rope must be cheap in South East Asia to throw it away like that . I have Ropes that I use and have had for 10 + years . I look after them and keep them in the Garage in good nick . 'A Man without a Rope is like a Fish Without a Bicycle' ...Churchill .
    I think they get weathered by the water??

KR would know that for sure if I just made that up or not 5555
    Tingtong likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast