Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Return ticket to Australia question

Return ticket to Australia question

Travelling out of Australia on a one way ticket.
    I have booked ticket out of Thailand onto USA and then onto Cancun. So the airline can not deny me departure due to no ongoing travel bookings.

However I have a mate at the airport right now. We had this discussion 2 days ago where I stated it is the country that you are landing in enforces this rule, not the Australian government on departure.
    He just called me to say that the airline counter specifically asked him for a “return ticket to Australia” and not whether he had a departure ticket out of Thai.
    He assures me I will 100% have issues if I do not have a return ticket to Australia.

I did a google search, there a lot of info on non-aussie residents entering Aus. But not much info on Aussies compelled to have a return ticket by law.
    The only reasoning I MUST have a return ticket that comes to mind is that should I be rejected at my landing destinations boarder, the airline may be forced to return me to my departure destination at their cost.

Does anyone have experience with this or solid proof of the law please?
    Last edited by dlew; 9th June 2019 at 10:30.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Sounds like rubbish to me , no way can they force an Aussie National to have a return ticket when leaving his own country, its only the countries you visit that may require an onward ticket

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    So your mate is saying you can't fly out of Aus on a one way ? .... Gotta be kidding, people fly one way all the time, have being for ever, my son is about to do it ... One way to Athens.

If you couldn't fly out on a one way, why would they sell One Way tickets ..?

Hopefully i got what you are asking correct ... Leaving Aus is the issue your mate is talking about ?
    Last edited by Sydney; 9th June 2019 at 11:46.
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

Foundation Member Uber Star quiksilva's Avatar
    At the gate in Australia they will often ask to see your return or next destination ticket to ensure you are moving on before your visa ends....
    I know people have used a site that generates a cheap onward ticket that you can 'loan' to get out/in the country

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Doesn't sound right to me either. Give DFAT a quick call, they'll clear it up for you. I'd talk to the airline as well. I'd very much doubt you'd have issues. Hopefully not anyway, and M26 and Dupes should be able to tell you if Mexico has this policy. That's the only place it can happen, and if they choose to have the airline enforce it on the US side as opposed to when you land then that's fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by quiksilva View Post
    At the gate in Australia they will often ask to see your return or next destination ticket to ensure you are moving on before your visa ends....
    I know people have used a site that generates a cheap onward ticket that you can 'loan' to get out/in the country
    Has this happened to you recently? I've never been questioned, even before the machines came along.
    dlew likes this.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

This issue has been raised with me twice of late.
    My travel buddy on this upcoming Central America adventure said to me whilst we were planning our ticket purchasing “How will we get away with not having a return ticket to Aus?” I was like it doesn’t come into it, as long as we have a ticket out of Thai and US we are fine. Mexico is ok with us leaving overland into Belize. He said “last time I went to the Phils the checkin wanted to see my return ticket to Aus” I assured him it was only because the Phils has the same policy as Thai and US and we will be right. We just say we are travelling for 2 years.

Then 2 days ago a different mate called me seeing where my Central America trip was at, had I booked, etc. He then says ”How you going to get around not having a return to Aus?” Again I explain I don’t need one, it’s a Thai US, Phils entry rule, nothing to do with exiting Aus. He says I don’t think so, may be a new rule but I’ve been asked for a return last few trips to Thai, Phils, ect, he makes a few flights a year. Chob is meeting him in BKK any day I believe.
    Anyway today after going through checkin and customs he calls me. He listened very closely to the wording so as to be sure. Checkin clearly asked him to produce a return ticket to Aus, not a departure ticket from Thailand, he had typed up a fake one to produce which he is forwarding me.

He seems 100% convinced I need a return ticket.

Was throwing this on here one as information and 2 to see if anyone worked in the industry and could clarify.

DFAT is probably the go.
    Last edited by dlew; 9th June 2019 at 14:36.

Quote Originally Posted by quiksilva View Post

Yes this happened to me and my mate, we were asked to prove we had a ticket out of the Phils to an onward destination last year. It happens to Easyrider (from Phu Info) who lives in Phils. Every time he comes home for Christmas and returns a week later he buys the cheapest throw away ticket out of Phils and stays.
    Last edited by dlew; 9th June 2019 at 14:42.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Wow that seems crazy

Also, you are travelling for 2 years??
    That's unreal

Make sure you hit the cenotes in Mexico
    They are amazing!!

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Wow that seems crazy

Also, you are travelling for 2 years??
    That's unreal

Make sure you hit the cenotes in Mexico
    They are amazing!!
    Yeah I did 2 weeks along that coast, Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Cozumel and Tulum a couple of years ago when I went to Cuba. Will definitely do a few cenotes as it’s my travel buddies first visit to the region and he’s a gun 40 meter freediver.

Not sure on the length of my trip, but Ive quit my job.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    His sitiuation sounds different to yours but, as you do have a ticket out of Thai ... So that should cover that... Other legit reasons ... Will be travelling OS for 2 years, you can't buy return tickets that far advanced can you ? .... What about if you are moving overseas to live ? .... Or you have a OS contract job for two years ?

But for your sitiuation travelling OS for the next two years would be enough of a reason, not sure how you can cover that with paperwork but, job resgination ? .... If they are asking at customs generally you would think it's just a question to test out your repky, put you on the spot type of thing, but not something they are actually going to stop you boarding for ... Spot checks i would say... Besides we still have boarding passes don't we, or have they now canned those ... Your reason for travel is stated on there
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

Quote Originally Posted by dlew View Post
    Yeah I did 2 weeks along that coast, Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Cozumel and Tulum a couple of years ago when I went to Cuba. Will definitely do a few cenotes as it’s my travel buddies first visit to the region and he’s a gun 40 meter freediver.

It's like that travel bug at 19-20yrs old
    You had that amazing daughter and watched her grow up
    And back to your travels!!

That's amazing Drew.
    Stoked for you!

Foundation Member Uber Star quiksilva's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    Doesn't sound right to me either. Give DFAT a quick call, they'll clear it up for you. I'd talk to the airline as well. I'd very much doubt you'd have issues. Hopefully not anyway, and M26 and Dupes should be able to tell you if Mexico has this policy. That's the only place it can happen, and if they choose to have the airline enforce it on the US side as opposed to when you land then that's fair enough.

Has this happened to you recently? I've never been questioned, even before the machines came along.
    Yeah most trips if i split airlines.

Drew, the following is my take on the question, not gospel but I think you'll find its close to the money.

I have NEVER been asked about a return ticket when flying out of Aus or NZ. Mind you, I have kiwi passport. Apart from a few, very few, occasions I always have a return booking [sometimes with a different airline], though Immigration can see the details incl booking date and price paid, on their screen.

If you are asked at Check-In, it's simply because the airline doesn't want the repatriation cost if you are refused entry at your destination due to visa restrictions. That is a very real problem for airlines and they incur fines on top the repatriation cost.

You should not be asked at Immigration upon departure UNLESS carrying an Aus passport AND ...
    a./ a youngish person and with doubtful/or no visible means to support holiday/pay for repatriation in case of visa refusal and/or health/accident etc. It is not mandatory to have a return ticket upon departure if you already qualify for a tourist (or other) visa at your destination.
    b./ when traveling to countries involved with drug production and transportation you may appear suspicious especially if the one-way ticket was purchased inside of 14 days or so. Once again, a return is not mandatory.
    c./ your passport has validity well beyond 6 months ... 18 months + should be ok.
    Last edited by kaptainrob; 9th June 2019 at 20:44.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar

Drew. If you're expecting nice beaches in Mexico. Be aware of the Sargassum problem on the Playa del Carmen and Tulum coast. It sucks!

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/mas...ssum-arriving/
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post
    Drew. If you're expecting nice beaches in Mexico. Be aware of the Sargassum problem on the Playa del Carmen and Tulum coast. It sucks!

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/mas...ssum-arriving/
    Thanks and that was an interesting read.
    We’ll head straight to Tulum and pretty much do some cenotes, have a few tequila’s and head into Belize. Hopefully the blue hole and reef won’t be too effected. Diving mostly anyway so it won’t worry us.
    Beach time will be left for El Salvador and Nica.

BTW your sargassem has always sucked....
    Last edited by dlew; 10th June 2019 at 00:41.

Posted twice.
    Last edited by dlew; 10th June 2019 at 00:37.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    It's like that travel bug at 19-20yrs old
    You had that amazing daughter and watched her grow up
    And back to your travels!!

That's amazing Drew.
    Stoked for you!
    The travel bug has never really left me, I just suppress it mate lol
    I did 21 months straight travelling when I was 22 to 23, did about 25 counties. I’m unsure if I’m still chasing the dream.... Time back on the road will tell. I did 12 weeks last (Aus) winter in SEA and at times I was lonely and a bit over it. I ain’t in my 20’s anymore.... But I have had this particular journey overland from Cancun to Columbia on my list for years. And I thought if I don’t nail it now I’m probably never going to. So I made the decision, pulled the pin at work and hit the road in 5 weeks. Frantically learning Spanish, have the main house on the rental market and the second one I finished last year getting ready to Airbnb and here goes.....
    That amazing daughter you mentioned, thanks heaps for that BTW, is now a real estate agent. She moved out with the bf a few months back, not too proud to say I shed a tear, I’m very proud of who she’s become and I’m glad I left my life in Thailand to be part of making her the woman she has now become. Plus she is renting my house (via her agency at zero commish) and managing my Airbnb so I plussed out 5555

Thanks for the positive words.
    Not sure how long I’ll be gone. A few numbers need to be sorted to see where I am at yet, I may come back to do a few months work whilst my name is still worth something in the industry, still too young, and not financially well off enough, to retire yet.
    Quarky, justcruzing1 and bacwaan like this.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    good onya Drew...we discussed some of these plans at this time last year in The PI if you remember...so glad to see things have all fallen into place for you and are now coming into fruition...

don't think I can make it up to BKK to catch up mate as I am headed back to AUS/NZ for a month or so late July...but I will be in HKT from 27th-31st July before I go as I fly outta there...so if you can make it down there it would be great to see you..

Good luck on the travels Bud...

My take on the return ticket saga....you only need to show you have a ticket out of Thailand...after that it is none of the AUS Carrier's business..you have fulfilled Thai requirements...it's ridiculous that Qantas or any other airline should be able to make you return to AUS..even the bloody Govt doesn't have that power...(well...unless you are a wanted criminal)..555
    dlew likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Drew, the following is my take on the question, not gospel but I think you'll find its close to the money.

I have NEVER been asked about a return ticket when flying out of Aus or NZ. Mind you, I have kiwi passport. Apart from a few, very few, occasions I always have a return booking [sometimes with a different airline], though Immigration can see the details incl booking date and price paid, on their screen.

If you are asked at Check-In, it's simply because the airline doesn't want the repatriation cost if you are refused entry at your destination due to visa restrictions. That is a very real problem for airlines and they incur fines on top the repatriation cost.

You should not be asked at Immigration upon departure UNLESS carrying an Aus passport AND ...
    a./ a youngish person and with doubtful/or no visible means to support holiday/pay for repatriation in case of visa refusal and/or health/accident etc. It is not mandatory to have a return ticket upon departure if you already qualify for a tourist (or other) visa at your destination.
    b./ when traveling to countries involved with drug production and transportation you may appear suspicious especially if the one-way ticket was purchased inside of 14 days or so. Once again, a return is not mandatory.
    c./ your passport has validity well beyond 6 months ... 18 months + should be ok.

Totally agree, it’s simply an airline protocol. Basically some guy lands in Thailand and is travel banned, who pays.
    It has absolutely nothing to do with immigration, jeez they don’t even speak to you unless they want a bomb scan. Push your passport into a machine and away you go these days.
    I have one of 3 options as I see it.
    Call the checkin counter persons bluff and say no, I have a ticket out of Thai to US, I did this when I knew I was right on a one year visa to Thai and they claimed I needed a return ticket. Escalated it to the supervisor who said I was right and on I went. Not sure what the airlines write in their fine print though and I may loose this one on a technicality but doubt it.
    Make a fake return ticket with an alternate airline, did this for the Phils flying Cebu pac last year as was unsure on my departure date, nor destination, my mate made a fake AIrAsia return to Aus ticket and it passed.
    Last option is I found a website that will book a ticket on your behalf and then cancel it, getting a refund, costs about $20. Need to look into reviews on this option.
    Bit more research. Either way I’ll get around it.
    Last edited by dlew; 10th June 2019 at 01:18.

The travel bug has never really left me, I just suppress it mate lol
    I did 21 months straight travelling when I was 22 to 23, did about 25 counties. I’m unsure if I’m still chasing the dream.... Time back on the road will tell. I did 12 weeks last (Aus) winter in SEA and at times I was lonely and a bit over it. I ain’t in my 20’s anymore.... But I have had this particular journey overland from Cancun to Columbia on my list for years. And I thought if I don’t nail it now I’m probably never going to. So I made the decision, pulled the pin at work and hit the road in 5 weeks. Frantically learning Spanish, have the main house on the rental market and the second one I finished last year getting ready to Airbnb and here goes.....
    That amazing daughter you mentioned, thanks heaps for that BTW, is now a real estate agent. She moved out with the bf a few months back, not too proud to say I shed a tear, I’m very proud of who she’s become and I’m glad I left my life in Thailand to be part of making her the woman she has now become. Plus she is renting my house (via her agency at zero commish) and managing my Airbnb so I plussed out 5555

Thanks for the positive words.
    Not sure how long I’ll be gone. A few numbers need to be sorted to see where I am at yet, I may come back to do a few months work whilst my name is still worth something in the industry, still too young, and not financially well off enough, to retire yet.
    That is pretty great that you seem to take long periods of time off of work but still work when you want

I love my job, I'm extremely lucky.
    But if I could take extended time like that, I'd be in heaven

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast