Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: To buy or not to buy a big bike.

Tez

To buy or not to buy a big bike.

I am looking into buying a new bike. No more than 650cc.
    I dont yet have a thai licence but will be soon I hope. I was talking with a couple of friends about the process and licencing etc but am still unclear how to start . It wont be financed and probably kept in and around Udon thani. Can you guys list the steps in order that I need to take. Suggestions on insurance would be helpful to.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tez View Post
    I am looking into buying a new bike. No more than 650cc.
    I dont yet have a thai licence but will be soon I hope. I was talking with a couple of friends about the process and licencing etc but am still unclear how to start . It wont be financed and probably kept in and around Udon thani. Can you guys list the steps in order that I need to take. Suggestions on insurance would be helpful to.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

You dont need to have a Thai Drivers Lic to buy a bike, you will need a Thai Address to register into your name, not hard to do.....................you will need a letter of residency from immigration to have your address for the lic registration.................unless you want to put the ownership in to a TG name and address, even easier...............lots of 2nd hand bikes on bahtsold etc

If you want a Thai Drivers Lic I suggest you go to your local transport office with an International Drivers Lic and they will tell you the steps involved, alot easier that starting from scratch IMO

Lots of insurance companies about, I have minimal experience with too many companies but they see good, they dont seem to have a no claim bonus as back in Australia ?
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    I think I will have to have a big bike in LOS does anyone know the cost of either MT07 or 9?

what you thinking Tez?

Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    I think I will have to have a big bike in LOS does anyone know the cost of either MT07 or 9?

New or 2nd hand ?..................one of my riding mates has a new MT07.......................another has a 2nd hand MT09, he bought it from Bangkok with very low kms..................fast bike...............ive been on a few rides with him

My mates got a 07 with an akro pipe sounds good goes well deacon it would be a good balance in Los a 09 might be a trap at times things happen quick.
    i think I would buy new knowing how excellent many there are at maintenance.555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Getting a license is fairly simple, but it takes about a week with a bunch of silly procedures to go through. I have to renew mine this year. I have to do it every two years.

You will need a bunch of passport type pictures, a PEN, a few copies (dozen?) of your place of residence. They make you sit through an hour long movie showing you all the things you are "supposed" to do, but the Thais seldom do. The final test is to see if you know the difference between red, green and amber. There is lots of sitting and waiting in various lineups and will take several hours.

I think thaivisa has a list of all the requirements.

If you have an International Drivers Permit I don't think that you have to watch any videos, at least I haven't in Chiang Rai.............once you've got a letter of Residency and a basic Medical Certificate from a Thai doctor it took me about an hour to do the paperwork, colour eye test and reaction test.

Forgot to mention that if you go with an IDP you will need a motorbike lic endorsed on the permit, if you want a car drivers lic you will need a duplicate of all the required paperwork as they issue a separate lic for a car, yes you end up with 2 x plastic licenses, issued after you pass the requirements.

Here you go Wabbits...........................

Looks like the MT07 is 299 000 baht rideaway..........................the MT09 is 399 000 baht rideaway.......................................... and a huge jump for the MT10 @ 629 000 baht, meaning you could nearly buy a 07 & 09 for the price of the MT10

https://www.yamaha-motor.co.th/bigbike/mt-07/overview

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    The Yamaha MT 07 has all the zip you ever need on any highway. It will double the highest legal speed. It has a LOT more zip than my 2010 Suzuki 650 V-Strom. You might want to put an after market windscreen on it for longer rides.
    OzzyDamo likes this.

what you thinking Tez?
    I don't know how the road are where you abode- but I would look at the enduro P to D type bike like the KTM or the honda ol mate bought(rivo?) better riding position and better on shit/dirt roads. http://https://www.ktm.com/en/travel/690-enduro-r/

Or a cruiser/bober ride- https://www.yamaha-motor.co.th/bigbike/bolt-r/overview

pity yamaha doesn't make a bike in between these two bikes(cruiser/scrabbler) in a v-twin like 750/650cc water cooled

https://www.yamaha-motor.co.th/bigbike/bolt-r/overview
    https://www.yamaha-motor.co.th/commu...-2019/overview

I would probably buy one of these in your shoes- https://www.thaisuzuki.co.th/en/bikes/v-strom-650-abs/
    Emulators/ heavier springs and a rated ohlin for the rear of course.
    Last edited by OzzyDamo; 15th November 2019 at 11:38.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivo View Post
    Here you go Wabbits...........................

Looks like the MT07 is 299 000 baht rideaway..........................the MT09 is 399 000 baht rideaway.......................................... and a huge jump for the MT10 @ 629 000 baht, meaning you could nearly buy a 07 & 09 for the price of the MT10

https://www.yamaha-motor.co.th/bigbike/mt-07/overview
    With the crap exchange rate whey are cheaper here 07 I think.
    thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by OzzyDamo View Post
    I don't know how the road are where you abode- but I would look at the enduro P to D type bike like the KTM or the honda ol mate bought(rivo?) better riding position and better on shit/dirt roads. http://https://www.ktm.com/en/travel/690-enduro-r/

Or a cruiser/bober ride- https://www.yamaha-motor.co.th/bigbike/bolt-r/overview
    On good sealed roads for 99% of the time but I am hearing you.
    I have never been a big fan of cross over type bikes they don’t tend to do well on either surface.
    I would prob buy a bigger displacement enduro style bike if loads of dirt or bad surface roads were to be traveled.

With the crap exchange rate whey are cheaper here 07 I think.
    thanks for the info.

My Honda is cheaper to buy in Australia, like you say the exchange rate causes this, for some reason Honda don't offer the NC750X with DCT, manual gearbox only.

You can rent the MT07 overhear to see if it is what you want

I would rather the 09 but the 07 would be sweet and still well quick enough.
    the 09 has much nicer forks and better styling though that is only in the eye of the beholder.

for Los I will rent if I need we have a couple of small bike in village.

I would rather the 09 but the 07 would be sweet and still well quick enough.
    the 09 has much nicer forks and better styling though that is only in the eye of the beholder.

for Los I will rent if I need we have a couple of small bike in village.
    The SV650N has more neddys then the 07 yam'- V-twin has better sound, with an after market pipe they give good warning to by standers.

If the road are what you say, I would buy this bike and mod the suspension/pipe. I have seen 180mm rear wheels fit to these as well. The sound of the V-twin with louder pipe changing gears at 11,000rpm is awesome. I miss mine now....
    Last edited by OzzyDamo; 16th November 2019 at 10:48.
    wabbits likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OzzyDamo View Post

If the road are what you say,

35k kms and never missed a beat on this all round the north and only had to turn back once coz of a rough unsealed road that it didn't handle well.
    110hp,800cc,FI V4 that pulled like a train from idle all the way up to redline.
    Good value for an oldie @ 160k baht.

Roads are ever improving/being sealed around the north since then.

Last edited by Moo Uaon; 16th November 2019 at 15:00.
    PeteGill and OzzyDamo like this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    35k kms and never missed a beat on this all round the north and only had to turn back once coz of a rough unsealed road that it didn't handle well.
    110hp,800cc,FI V4 that pulled like a train from idle all the way up to redline.
    Good value for an oldie @ 160k baht.

Roads are ever improving/being sealed around the north since then.

I do like the the vfr800

the major service at 24,000 is the only bummer $650 here.

Love all the V's except harleys. Like the look of this if it ever turns to fruit https://www.motorcycle.com/mini-features/honda-developing-supercharged-v-twin-with-direct-injection.html

Love riding behind a guy that has just swapped from inline to v-twin to watch their gear changes 55555555555555

The VTR and the TLR are great looking bikes with mountains of torque thru the whole rev range.

Use to ride in a group call fool injected, we had one guy with the VTR1000R REPSOL FIREBLADE- sounded crackers' 5808519_450_450_80448_0_fit_0_bfcddfda2a27c359e3b54aecf823bfa7.jpg

https://santa.smugmug.com/photos/354368209_hsKug-L.jpg
    Last edited by OzzyDamo; 16th November 2019 at 15:38.
    wabbits likes this.

or this-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast