Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Question for the Sandgropers

  1. #1
    Foundation Member Platinum Condo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Age
    51
    Posts
    645

    Question for the Sandgropers

    Is it cold there yet????

    It's freezing here and I want to be prepared for my WA trip. Its 13deg outside and I have the heater pumping out 24deg Ahhhh I guess this means we've hit winter

  2. #2
    The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    54
    Posts
    10,286
    Quote Originally Posted by Condo View Post
    Is it cold there yet????

    It's freezing here and I want to be prepared for my WA trip. Its 13deg outside and I have the heater pumping out 24deg Ahhhh I guess this means we've hit winter
    Firkin about 5 degree here sitting under a arctic sleeping bag....
    I thought it never got cold in WA???55555
    .

  3. #3
    Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Perth , Australia
    Age
    59
    Posts
    3,515
    I'm wearing jeans and a shirt with long sleeves tonight as I type this - for the first time this year it is too chilly for a t-shirt and shorts as evening wear - so it is getting colder.
    We put the doona back onto the bed last week.
    No heating on in the house at night yet and still had the air con on in the car today .....
    Put the blower heater on for 30 seconds when I got out of the shower two nights ago - it took about an hour for the smell of burnt lint to clear.....
    So yes, the WA winter has begun....
    Enjoy
    Life is the unexpected ...

  4. #4
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    4,407
    Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    Firkin about 5 degree here sitting under a arctic sleeping bag....
    I thought it never got cold in WA???55555
    Are you on the road already??

  5. #5
    The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    54
    Posts
    10,286
    Quote Originally Posted by PatongBeachBoy View Post
    Are you on the road already??
    No mate in our lounge in Maryborough. Joy is asleep next to me under our sleeping bag....Wearing socks german style...i never wear socks in house..ferkin cold.
    .

  6. #6
    Foundation Member Platinum Condo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Age
    51
    Posts
    645
    Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    No mate in our lounge in Maryborough. Joy is asleep next to me under our sleeping bag....Wearing socks german style...i never wear socks in house..ferkin cold.
    Asleep already???? No TV in Maryborough

  7. #7
    The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    54
    Posts
    10,286
    Quote Originally Posted by Condo View Post
    Asleep already???? No TV in Maryborough
    Red wine got her.5555555
    .

  8. #8
    Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    7,167
    Woke up this morning to the thermometer reading 9 degress ..inside the house !! my house i left behind for the ex and kids had a awesome slow cumbust fireplace which i miss dearly...my rented house has R/C but i hate the dry air it pumps out so in the past i realy used it...this may change this year...55555

    Had to buy JK some uggs the other day and thermals too.. sihte never realised how expensive uggs were!!....got a really good thermal top for her from a Katmandu shop here in Hornsby at 50% discount.... $ 120.00 normally down to $ 60.00...yes $120.00 just for a top....its made from Merino wool....size 12 years girls..55555 she hasn't taken it off since...

    While this has helped her alot she stills asking "" ohh why so cold...when winter finish ? "'' ummm sorry my love winter not start just yet.....ohhh this is not looking good and i always knew this would be the hardest thing for her living here....luckly so far the only hard thing.
    Last edited by Sydney; 12th May 2011 at 22:02.
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

  9. #9
    Foundation Member Uber Star quiksilva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Perth - Australia
    Posts
    1,484
    Fuck is it summer yet?
    This cold business is ****ting me already! Getting out of bed in the morning is taking some effort.

  10. #10
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    4,407
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydney View Post
    Had to buy JK some uggs the other day and thermals too.. sihte never realised how expensive uggs were!!....got a really good thermal top for her from a Katmandu shop here in Hornsby at 50% discount.... $ 120.00 normally down to $ 60.00...yes $120.00 just for a top....its made from Merino wool....size 12 years girls..55555 she hasn't taken it off since...
    I always thought that their thermals were made out of recycled coke bottles.... they used it as their marketing gimmick!

  11. #11
    Foundation Member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Gazmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia, Australia
    Posts
    2,060
    Took Tane home to Phuket on sunday ... the heat was a slap in the face after the last week ! She went from saying now now now to lon lon lon mak mak ! lmao
    But i got off the plane this morning to a brisk 13C and pulled my jacket out straight away .

  12. #12
    Uber Star Foundation member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน vanguy77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    2,617
    I'm Canadian, so I'm sitting here chuckling that all you Australian types are moaning about 5 degrees!! 555 I used to live in Dawson Creek in northern BC ... got to -35 celcius regularly during the winter months. One morning at around 7am I put on my parka, went out to my car, unplugged the block heater (yes we have those to keep the engine warm), started the car, and tried to back out of my driveway. Car wouldn't move. I gave it a bit more gas, but it wouldn't budge. Hmmm ... went to the outdoor thermometer I had on my back porch and checked the temperature. Minus 51 degrees celcius. So cold that the nylon material material on my parka made a cracking noise when I squeezed it. The hairs in your nose freeze when you breath. Tiny frost crystals hang in the air like a mist.

    Lived in DC for 5 years, and it truly was just too brutally cold for our blood, so eventually we just had to move back down to the Coast. Vancouver is much milder, but its May here ... should be well into Spring ... and it got down to 4 celcius last night.

  13. #13
    The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    54
    Posts
    10,286
    How do Canadians EVER get a TG to stay there????
    .

  14. #14
    Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Perth , Australia
    Age
    59
    Posts
    3,515
    Quote Originally Posted by vanguy77 View Post
    I'm Canadian, so I'm sitting here chuckling that all you Australian types are moaning about 5 degrees!! 555 I used to live in Dawson Creek in northern BC ... got to -35 celcius regularly during the winter months. One morning at around 7am I put on my parka, went out to my car, unplugged the block heater (yes we have those to keep the engine warm), started the car, and tried to back out of my driveway. Car wouldn't move. I gave it a bit more gas, but it wouldn't budge. Hmmm ... went to the outdoor thermometer I had on my back porch and checked the temperature. Minus 51 degrees celcius. So cold that the nylon material material on my parka made a cracking noise when I squeezed it. The hairs in your nose freeze when you breath. Tiny frost crystals hang in the air like a mist.

    Lived in DC for 5 years, and it truly was just too brutally cold for our blood, so eventually we just had to move back down to the Coast. Vancouver is much milder, but its May here ... should be well into Spring ... and it got down to 4 celcius last night.
    Part time job in College was at a back-packers, over 30 years ago, still remember almost every word from four Canadians as we shared a coffee and I listened to their horror stories of cold weather back home.

    Car batteries that fell apart because the fluid inside had frozen and shatterd the casing, radiators that freeze whilst you are driving and black ice build ups at STOP signs as apparently you have not truly met God till you slide - at a 90 degree angle - thru the truck traffic on the Interstate.

    Your car would not move because it was frozen to the ground, yes?
    Life is the unexpected ...

  15. #15
    Uber Star Foundation member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน vanguy77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    2,617
    Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    How do Canadians EVER get a TG to stay there????
    That is a mystery, wabs. I am sure Thai girls live in other parts of Canada, but Vancouver actually has pretty mild weather compared to the rest of the country. It dosn't have the extremes you find further east. Those Thai girls I have met since returning from my trip in November, mostly working at Thai restaurants, have all said it is because life is much easier in Canada. Labour laws, paid holidays, 5 day work week, overtime for anything over 7.5 hours, etc. They all say they miss the weather from back home, but seem to like it here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Minder View Post
    Part time job in College was at a back-packers, over 30 years ago, still remember almost every word from four Canadians as we shared a coffee and I listened to their horror stories of cold weather back home.

    Car batteries that fell apart because the fluid inside had frozen and shatterd the casing, radiators that freeze whilst you are driving and black ice build ups at STOP signs as apparently you have not truly met God till you slide - at a 90 degree angle - thru the truck traffic on the Interstate.

    Your car would not move because it was frozen to the ground, yes?
    Nope, it would not move because the bearings were frozen solid. No real answer to that either, other then waiting until the day warms up a few degrees and they unfreeze a little bit. Very strange things between to happen when you get past minus 50. The best solution, and the one I didn't do the night before because I was too cold and too lazy to open the garage door and clean out some mess, is to park the car inside an enclosed garage. A lot of times those real cold snaps come with no warning. You can have a relatively nice day the day before ... say only minus 20c ... (you'll see teens walking around in t-shirts in minus 20! 555) ... then you wake up to -50c. You always plug your block heater in at night ... engine blocks have been known to crack because of the extreme cold.

    When you finally do get the car moving, its crazy because the tires are frozen, and it feels like you are driving on square wheels for a bit, as the flat spot where the car was sitting takes a while to thaw out.

    Fuel line antifreeze ... very handy to use. My wife and I were driving to an neighbouring town one night. It was about -35 but with a strong wind blowing. Heading down the highway in the extreme cold, our car just suddenly coughed to a stop. This is serious stuff, as people have died in winter when their cars have run out of gas, or the engine has failed. You get very cold very fast. My gas tank was full, so I did not know what the problem was. To my relief I was able to get the car started, and I let it run for a couple of minutes and the engine began to run smoother again. Started driving, and not 10 minutes down the road the engine started sputtering again and eventually died. Again I was able to get it started .... my wife was getting really scared by this time wondering if we were going to survive to the next town. There was noone else on the road that we had seen. I found that if I kept the car at a lower speed, that the wind chill was less, and the car would keep running, so in this way I managed to struggle in town.

    When we got there I went to the first gas station I could see and told the mechanic there what was happening. He said no problem, and came out with a small bottle of fuel line antifreeze, which he then poured into my fuel tank. He said the problem was that the wind chill was literally freezing the fuel line, and the gas wasn't getting through to the engine. When I stopped, the line would warm up enough for me to start the car, and by going slow, I was lessening the wind chill factor enough for the car to keep running.

    From then on I always used fuel line antifreeze because I considered it a life saver.

  16. #16
    Uber Star Foundation member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน vanguy77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    2,617
    This is actually taken in Seattle, which is about 3 hours drive south of Vancouver, so its supposed to be warmer. But its the classic "car sliding' video ....



  17. #17
    The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    54
    Posts
    10,286
    ^Never even knew there was such a thing as fuel line anti freeze....Hard to comprehend even when we are feeling cold.
    Well global warming is a good thing for you guys.5555555
    .

  18. #18
    Foundation Member Platinum Annie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    630
    Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    ^Never even knew there was such a thing as fuel line anti freeze....Hard to comprehend even when we are feeling cold.
    Well global warming is a good thing for you guys.5555555
    Global warming... don't believe in it myself. We live in the south west (UK) by the coast and this winter was our coldest I have ever known. It was awful. Hubby likened it to Poland. Anyway it's lovely outside ATM 7am. But I have to go off too work, oh well flights to pay for I suppose.

  19. #19
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    4,407
    When I lived at Mt Hotham I was cooking in a local restaurant and wouldn't finish until after 11pm.... I would go out to the carpark and my lock would be frozen solid.... Best solution was to pull out the 'Old Fella' and piss on the lock, worked a treat!! (A Canadian taught me that trick 555)
    wabbits likes this.

  20. #20
    The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    54
    Posts
    10,286
    ^I tried telling the police officer who pulled me up once........
    .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •