Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Drivers Licence in Udon Thani

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar

Drivers Licence in Udon Thani

When Noy goes back home I wanted to pay for her to get her drivers licences. I would not really know where to start. PPB mentioned that you can get driver training and licence all in one. No one in the family has a vehicle so she is unable to get practice in a car. So if she could get a few (preferably more then a few) hours in a car to learn then get her licence at the one place around Udon Thani that would be great and easy. Anyone know of anthing like this? I am just thinking of the future and would make it much easy if she was to go for an Australian Drivers licence. Noy seems to believe there are 2 types of licences, one for just driving in Thailand and one that will allow you to transfer your licence to another countrys licence (maybe she meant so you can drive internationally).

Any help in the way of a drivers licence would be great.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    G4 not sure you have sourced this link, but may be whwt you are looking for http://www.udonmap.com/en/udonthani-...ng-school.html
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

Read my recent report in KRKK thread.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Read my recent report in KRKK thread.
    Thanks Rob, that is handy but Noy will be in Udon Thani which would make the commute to Phang Nga a little difficult (not to mention long and expensive) 555. AM that site will be very handy. I will have to give them a call to find out more info.

The procedure is identical throughout Thailand. Doesn't matter if Phang Nga or Nong Khai.... 4k school does tuition thru to licence at the local LTO.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Ah ok I see, thanks for that, So correct me if I am wrong 4000B will pay for learning to drive as well as getting her Drivers licence?

Rob another question, was there a writen test involved? Noy cannot read or write so this could prove difficult.....

The fee is mandated @ 4k although it can vary a little depending on group/individual classes, auto/manual vehicle. Jo's fee was 4,500 to learn in an auto and included up to 20hrs.

Yes, a 'written' test is done on PC's ... approx 40 multiple-choice questions and ~90% are re parking or signs. For persons unable to read, they have a 'tester' who will do it all orally with flip cards or a book.

The driving testing is free. The licence fee 105 baht + another 100 for photo id card = 205 baht. 1st licence is for 12 months and then 5 years upon renewal.
    Cheers, Rob.

Thanks heaps for that info Rob. I like what you are saying and will pass it on to her, I guess a lot of the people in the country cannot read so it is good that they have that option available to them. Very cheap for the whole thing as well. I think Noy will be a bit more confident now with the whole Idea of getting her licence

Well a couple days before Noy went home we called Smart Drive and booked Noy is for Driving School and her licence test. The cost was 3800 Baht for a 5 day driving School. It is in good distance for Noy to get to by Bus from her house and only 25 mins away. She is very excited to get a licence after I explained to her what it was like for me to get my licence...

We were also told that in one years time she can go back and do another test to get a licence where she is able to drive Internationally..

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Will be doing the same with Joy when we are back in Feb just need to find a school in Surin while we are there.

Noy will today do her 5th day of driving school and then back on the 25th to sit the test for her licence. She is very excited and having a great time. She opted to learn to drive a Manual car, which I think is great. She is pretty confident with herself now and even reached speeds of 100km/h yesterday.

She did say in her eyes it was not worth 3800B but to me I thought it was a great price. Now will just have to wait a year until she can drive in Australia...

Quote Originally Posted by G4orce View Post
    Noy will today do her 5th day of driving school and then back on the 25th to sit the test for her licence. She is very excited and having a great time. She opted to learn to drive a Manual car, which I think is great. She is pretty confident with herself now and even reached speeds of 100km/h yesterday.

She did say in her eyes it was not worth 3800B but to me I thought it was a great price. Now will just have to wait a year until she can drive in Australia...
    In a straight line? Problem Jo found was they teach just enough to get the student thru the exam. When we insisted she go back, the tutor took her from Kathu to Rawai via Patong!
    Cheers, Rob.

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    In a straight line? Problem Jo found was they teach just enough to get the student thru the exam. When we insisted she go back, the tutor took her from Kathu to Rawai via Patong!
    I have been teaching Joy ...Which in the beginning was hard on sooooo many levels but now is not bad.
    I am now no longer scared at all.....If anything tooo cautous.
    I am hoping we can do it local to her village and will arrange ahead of time.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    I have taught my 1st wife, many of my friends girlfriends, and some of my girlfriends children.

It sure can add the grey to your hair 5555.

I think the thing is, to be able to put them in a location that is not at risk, new estate, carpark etc, till they get a feel for the car and how to react.

Isn't it great that modern cars have central handbreaks !! remember the old cars, the handbreak was down where the bonet release is, you could never reach it.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

I understand this course is just the very basics to learning to drive, but there is still plenty of time to teach her more. She is very proactive when I am driving and asks a lot of questions about what i am doing. Nothing is going to be better then getting her to sit behind to wheel and actually coach her through the whole thing. My mum taught me and has taught many others to drive, She has already said to me she would like to give Noy a few lessons through new and empty estates until she an legally drive here.

I understand she that after this she will not magically be able to drive after getting her licence but this is the start of the process.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    G4orce,
    In all your posts, I read that your mother is a very special person, and she is very happy to give, both to you and Noy.

It seems like your mother may be a better teacher for Noy. Just my 2 cents worth.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post
    G4orce,
    In all your posts, I read that your mother is a very special person, and she is very happy to give, both to you and Noy.

It seems like your mother may be a better teacher for Noy. Just my 2 cents worth.
    My family background is Maltese and my whole life we have been very family orientated. My mum has played a very big part in my life and has helped me through many good and bad times. I am very thankful that she has offered so much to myself and Noy and has been great with the whole thing. I would honestly prefer for her to Teach Noy as she has a lot more experience but when Noy is in the car with me I will show her a few things also.

Just on side note my mum was given the nickname "Bev Brock" in our old street due to her driving 5555

Today Noy sat her test to get her licence and was successful. She told me she scored 28 out of 30 and is very happy with herself, Now she just has to go back in tomorrow to have a card made up
    PatongBeachBoy likes this.

Has she done the practical? New rules brought in a month back splits 'written' test and 'practical' into 2 days. The licence card takes about 5 mins once all else is done.

Well done Noy.
    Cheers, Rob.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast