Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NamTanMot

Thread: Hua Hin Explorer tour (cycling)

Hua Hin Explorer tour (cycling)

I've booked the Hua Hin explorer tour with Spiceroads.

Here is the short description, and a link to the detail for anyone interested. I will post some photos and information following the tour.

A couple of hours south of Bangkok lies a fertile lowland with a network of canals, orchards and a huge forest reserve a tranquil land and lifestyle that is an important facet of Thailand that most visitors never see.

We start by visiting the Damnoen Saduak floating market, a canal packed with small boats selling just about everything before taking a long tail boat ride through the network of canals. We begin our bike ride, along country roads, cycling through orchards and temples, finishing at a canalside hotel.

Day two takes in traffic-free roads and trails with beautiful scenery, entering Kaeng Krachan national park, cycling over a large dam and alongside a crstyline lake, stopping at a secluded hotel in the hills.

On day three we cycle through fishing villages with schools and temples, and along the coast for excellent views of the sea

Floating Market to Hua Hin bicycle adventure
    wabbits likes this.
    I won the sperm-egg lottery. Invest wisely, spend carefully and give generously.

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Sounds good would love to do it.
    Mrs W is going to ride the 1/2 day jungle ride BKK a start!
    Will have to build her up to 3 day....

Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    Sounds good would love to do it.
    Mrs W is going to ride the 1/2 day jungle ride BKK a start!
    Will have to build her up to 3 day....
    I am sure Joy would be fine Wabbits. Its 2 to 3 hours in the saddle each day, but plenty of breaks and lots to see along the way. The mini-van drives behind you, so Joy can hit the "sag wagon" if needed.
    I won the sperm-egg lottery. Invest wisely, spend carefully and give generously.

Being lazy...this is there description of the first day...
    "We start by visiting the Damnoen Saduak floating market, a canal packed with small boats selling just about everything before taking a long tail boat ride through the network of canals. We begin our bike ride, along country roads, cycling through orchards and temples, finishing at a canalside hotel. "

Some pictures of the floating market...spend about 45 minutes here just looking around, shopping & eating.

After the market, head off for a long tail boat ride through the canals. Saw a massive snake crossing the river in front of us, but too slow with the camera.

Seeing this house, this is the first time that I have heard TG talk about ghosts.

One of the temples visited

An artist with a good sense of humour...have a close look at what the turtle is having for lunch.

Another temple...Temples are so much more interesting in Thailand. In China, they all look the same.

They obviously have a Fitness First in this town...

The view from where we had lunch...

Hotel rooms on the canal...it was great to stay at these small out of the way places. Very comfortable and a far better experience.

Last edited by NamTanMot; 8th June 2012 at 17:23.

Great pics can you post some cycling ones??

Day 2

Day two takes in traffic-free roads and trails with beautiful scenery, entering Kaeng Krachan national park, cycling over a large dam and alongside a crstyline lake, stopping at a secluded hotel in the hills.

Day 2 starts at the Maeklong Railway station

The market stalls occupy the train line

A couple of minutes before the train comes, the stalls are quickly packed up so that the train can come into the station.

Seems like more of a stunt to get the tourists in, but an interesting ritual to experience.

Some market produce...

Some of the crops passed while riding...

The harvester looks like something out of a carnival...

Heavy traffic on the ride..

Another house out of a James Bond movie, with a massive satellite dish...

Entrance to the national park that we rode around...

A stop along the way to see the locals cleaning their catch from the lake...

Some hills in the distance...

The road into the resort where we stayed overnight...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    NTM,
    Love the photo's, what an experience!!!
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Inspires me to do a over nighter or more on the cycles, it will happen as Joy has taken to cycling like a duck to water we pick up her new bike at the end of feb she cant wait already picked out her nicks and riding shirt.5555555

Inspires me to do a over nighter or more on the cycles, it will happen as Joy has taken to cycling like a duck to water we pick up her new bike at the end of feb she cant wait already picked out her nicks and riding shirt.5555555
    Tried to buy cycling clothes in Bangkok and would have cost more than in Oz. Around 3000 baht from memory for short pants, so gave that a miss.

Hit the jackpot in Chiang Rai...tops and pants were less than 500 baht each.

Quote Originally Posted by NamTanMot View Post
    Tried to buy cycling clothes in Bangkok and would have cost more than in Oz. Around 3000 baht from memory for short pants, so gave that a miss.

Hit the jackpot in Chiang Rai...tops and pants were less than 500 baht each.
    Everything clothing and parts for cycling we get from the UK www.chainreactioncycles.com is very good.
    Have looked in BKK but never really seen much...Maybe with the rise in cycling technical gear might be more popular...

Everything clothing and parts for cycling we get from the UK www.chainreactioncycles.com is very good.
    Have looked in BKK but never really seen much...Maybe with the rise in cycling technical gear might be more popular...
    It was very hard to find in BKK and a very small selection. I was expecting good value, ala running gear which is less than half the price in Oz, but no such luck, until Chiang Rai.

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    Love your pics Nam, its great getting out of the big towns to see rural Thailand.

Whats this ? ................

A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivo View Post
    Love your pics Nam, its great getting out of the big towns to see rural Thailand.

Whats this ? ................

Correct me if I am wrong ppl but in Thai I believe it is takuat. Which is used for a few different big lizzards.

Same same Monitor / Goanna "Genus Varanus" but this one likes the water usually only land....... Floods Nam????

You can see the evaluation to Crocodilian

Wonderful pics and a journey of great adventure although at a slow pace. This bike riding thing my be something I need to look at.

Just as a side note on the james bond house and the fitness.

House on the left is what they had before falang. FIL Thong still fit looking for 68 yo and smokes like a chimney and the mandatory Sato for breakfast the other great use for sticky rice and mould.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

Day 3

On day three we cycle through fishing villages with schools and temples, and along the coast for excellent views of the sea.

One of a number of small fishing villages

A fisherman catching tiny shrimp (my description) with two poles and a net in between.

The catch...

Another fishing village...

Typical scenery from the ride on Day 3...

Squid drying in the sun...

Our lunch stop...

The Cycling Central Thailand ride (see Kanchanaburi photos + floating market in this thread) is a better overall experience, much more Thai culture and Australian historically significant aspects. Hua Hin was also a great ride, and one that an inexperienced cyclist (e.g. TG) may be able to tackle.

Quote Originally Posted by NamTanMot View Post
    The Cycling Central Thailand ride (see Kanchanaburi photos + floating market in this thread) is a better overall experience, much more Thai culture and Australian historically significant aspects. Hua Hin was also a great ride, and one that an inexperienced cyclist (e.g. TG) may be able to tackle.
    Will be building her up as sundays will become a regular thing for us will try not to go to hard early as the goal will be to go on a ride like this.
    Absolutely love the pics for me it my type of holiday.