Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By justcruzing1
  • 3 Post By jontymate
  • 1 Post By jontymate
  • 1 Post By G4orce

Thread: Up Country Punt - The Rice Farm

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar

Up Country Punt - The Rice Farm

Was talking with TG the other day and her dreams 555, about growing rice near her village, she has spoken to her Sister In law who do the following scenario, which i found not something that would happen here.

So interested to know what others are aware of especially Expats like Kaptain Rob who are in the area, and can see things first hand.

" SIL and hubby, TG says rent land, 15 acres @ 80,000b for 4 years, now here is the quirk I do not understand, she says not rent because if after 4 years they want to stop they get the 80,000b back. I have asked her to explain this numerous times as cannot think this is right, she has gone and talked to her Mum and SIL again and say yes is right. Me a skeptic just don't think an owner of land is not going to take a cent for someone to use his land. Does anyone know if this is the norm or what ?

So TG says then the land is used to harvest rice, expenditure is for fertilizer, etc ,ploughing, getting the machine in for harvesting and I would imagine a few other things.

So the end game she tells me when I say how do you make money from it, she says x amount of bags, if good quality rice, sell some, keep some for family, pay workers with some, give some to land owner, etc etc.

So in all I listen try to understand but to many things seem to not add up (not unusual in LOS though 555).

Does anyone know if this is a common type thing or can throw a bit of light on to what happens in these situations.
    Last edited by Arliss Michaels; 7th January 2012 at 11:21.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Spot's Avatar
    Had a similar conversation? with S, I am still trying to figure out if we have bought the house yet so sorry mate but am keen to hear the outcome. Tried Andrew Hicks
    arhicks56@hotmail.com or his blog posted in the Reccomended thread? Chok Dee AM
    Ohhhh, Pigsy! You call yourself a demon? จูบก้นของฉัน Everything I post here is IMHO and IME... I am no expert....

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arliss Michaels View Post
    Was talking with TG the other day and her dreams 555, about growing rice near her village, she has spoken to her Sister In law who do the following scenario, which i found not something that would happen here.

So interested to know what others are aware of especially Expats like Kaptain Rob who are in the area, and can see things first hand.

" SIL and hubby, TG says rent land, 15 acres @ 80,000b for 4 years, now here is the quirk I do not understand, she says not rent because if after 4 years they want to stop they get the 80,000b back. I have asked her to explain this numerous times as cannot think this is right, she has gone and talked to her Mum and SIL again and say yes is right. Me a skeptic just don't think an owner of land is not going to take a cent for someone to use his land. Does anyone know if this is the norm or what ?

So TG says then the land is used to harvest rice, expenditure is for fertilizer, etc ,ploughing, getting the machine in for harvesting and I would imagine a few other things.

So the end game she tells me when I say how do you make money from it, she says x amount of bags, if good quality rice, sell some, keep some for family, pay workers with some, give some to land owner, etc etc.

So in all I listen try to understand but to many things seem to not add up (not unusual in LOS though 555).

Does anyone know if this is a common type thing or can throw a bit of light on to what happens in these situations.
    Ok, I'm no expert or experienced at this but my guess is the 80k is like a bond, as she says, in the bold above "Give some to Land owner"

So a land is loaned/leased for production, and a rent/fee is a proportion of the harvest. If after 4 yrs, they want to stop, and have produced each year, then the 80k bond is returned.

Just my read of it.
    G4orce likes this.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    I agree with JC on this.... the land owner would be payed in rice as he has a chance to make more money off the price of rice going up than a fixed price of the land.
    Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    You have to weigh up the costs of planting producing and harvesting, cleaning bagging transporting and selling the rice plus how much of the work you will do yourself. The risk is then all yours, "rent" can be paid out of the rice you harvest. The land itself remains with the owner. Why not buy a few rai then please yourself if you work it or someone else pays you.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    Further to C1, often will have a land owners who will take half of the harvest as rent. All the work and costs is covered by the lessee.
    A lot of family's that do not have their own land do it this way. During a good year they make enough after costs, to feed a family of 6 for 2 years(rice only part) and often the rice is stored as money in the bank for when they need or think it is a good price

3 Rai Planted by my family this year.
    Tractor time to prepare land 2600 Baht but have own so 300 Baht fuel.
    Seed 800 Baht
    Fertilizer 1000 baht Guess
    Insecticide 1000 Baht Guess includes fuels for buying travel etc
    People for planting 4 family free + 5 people at 300 baht a pp/day x 2 days plus food and grog for them all.
    Take care whilst growing just family with all the frogs and snails that have just been sprayed with insecticide you can eat. It washes off.

Harvest this year 10 % of what was planted because of the rain and floods so done by hand by family. Have a tractor to do but lose quality and quantity by machine.
    So this year they have done their money big time.

The easiest way to break out of poverty for a rice farming family is to own land and work it. Not drink and gamble and run up debt on new cars because a rice farmer never gets enough return unless he has a sh1t load of land and other people like your SIL doing the work.
    Changone, Spot and singhma like this.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

Quote Originally Posted by jontymate View Post
    Further to C1, often will have a land owners who will take half of the harvest as rent. All the work and costs is covered by the lessee.
    A lot of family's that do not have their own land do it this way. During a good year they make enough after costs, to feed a family of 6 for 2 years(rice only part) and often the rice is stored as money in the bank for when they need or think it is a good price

3 Rai Planted by my family this year.
    Tractor time to prepare land 2600 Baht but have own so 300 Baht fuel.
    Seed 800 Baht
    Fertilizer 1000 baht Guess
    Insecticide 1000 Baht Guess includes fuels for buying travel etc
    People for planting 4 family free + 5 people at 300 baht a pp/day x 2 days plus food and grog for them all.
    Take care whilst growing just family with all the frogs and snails that have just been sprayed with insecticide you can eat. It washes off.

Harvest this year 10 % of what was planted because of the rain and floods so done by hand by family. Have a tractor to do but lose quality and quantity by machine.
    So this year they have done their money big time.

The easiest way to break out of poverty for a rice farming family is to own land and work it. Not drink and gamble and run up debt on new cars because a rice farmer never gets enough return unless he has a sh1t load of land and other people like your SIL doing the work.
    So sorry JTM I lose track of what i say to who on the various threads here. Sorry for any egg sucking lessons, i have to try and remeber who is who and where they are.
    Ohhhh, Pigsy! You call yourself a demon? จูบก้นของฉัน Everything I post here is IMHO and IME... I am no expert....

Off Topic but JTM and AM do you know how much for one of these, i want to bring it home with me, forget the Harley for my mid life crisis I love these things.

singhma
    Hello to all..Mrs S has been wanting to put some rice in on the farm.for our own use and the families..
    Now I have to find out as much as can about rice farming..Mrs S wants to put about 4 rai in..Jasmine rice or as she says the one with the good smell..
    The family know a lot about rice ..its just me wanting to learn..
    Anybody grown rice in Thai yet?
    We now have many more fruit trees and a few more varieties of bananas..
    So I will have to put the proposed Bike purchase on hold and buy a Kuboto tractor..
    Thanks for any replies about rice farming.
    Cheers
    Singhma

Quote Originally Posted by Spot View Post
    Off Topic but JTM and AM do you know how much for one of these, i want to bring it home with me, forget the Harley for my mid life crisis I love these things.

Excess luggage would be the killer
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

Quote Originally Posted by singhma View Post
    Hello to all..Mrs S has been wanting to put some rice in on the farm.for our own use and the families..
    Now I have to find out as much as can about rice farming..Mrs S wants to put about 4 rai in..Jasmine rice or as she says the one with the good smell..
    The family know a lot about rice ..its just me wanting to learn..
    Anybody grown rice in Thai yet?
    We now have many more fruit trees and a few more varieties of bananas..
    So I will have to put the proposed Bike purchase on hold and buy a Kuboto tractor..
    Thanks for any replies about rice farming.
    Cheers
    Singhma
    I have watched tried for an hour to plant and was shown up by ladies in their 80's. I have been through the rice growing cycle but am no expert.
    I am however a professional at bogging the tractor. There is an art in driving in the mud. Bring back the buffalo.
    Trust me the tractor gets sick just as much as the buffalo.5555555
    singhma likes this.

singhma
    Hello to all..Mrs S said we not need to buy tractor...which is good ..less mechanical problems the better..as for planting the rice..the family will take care of it..
    Bogged tractors..no fun..
    One more week to go and I will be in back in Thailand..
    I have a big list of jobs to do and hopefully the rice will be put in without my help..To tall to bend over in the mud all day..

Cheers
    Singhma

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar
    I have already been told i will have to help out at some stage with the rice. My back is already feeling it just thinking about it all 555
    singhma likes this.

singhma
    Hi all..the same here ..just thinking about it..Thai people are amazing workers..not fast, but steady all do..regardless of the heat..
    When we go and cut bamboo..usually 5or 6 metre lengths 5 or 6 inch round..very heavy..I have the job of using the bushmans saw.only because I use all of the blade and cut it quicker..usually 5 ton or so a trip..Its a all day job..When we get there ..its 30 minutes form home..everybody including wife sits down for breakfast..
    I first thought..why when they just had it..That is the only break they will have until all bamboo cut and loaded.
    Watching Thai women plant rice..they are champions in their own right..
    Have you ever seen anyone dig up the potato..not like ours..the men use a 2 metre pole and lever them out of the dirt..very hard..the women cut and clean.then the men load up the Tuk Tuk truck..
    Farm life is very hard work in the country..
    Cheers
    Singhma

singhma
    Hey Spot ..they still make them new..all around the place..usually use a Kuboto engine..around 31000 baht for the new engine..They are slow but very tough.Mrs S says they are for local use only..ie sugar , potato, paper tree etc.
    Local meaning not driving all around Thailand on all roads..motorways..Mrs S says they have 4 gears..we joke sometimes as one going a bit faster than another..Oh it must be in second gear..or down hill..
    Cheers
    Singhma