Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By david j crow
  • 1 Post By kaptainrob

Thread: Best Times of The Year To Visit Isaan

david j crow

Best Times of The Year To Visit Isaan

Ive often been asked if visiting Isaan during the rainy season is worthwhile. Well the short answer is yes. From end May on until mid October the rainy season is on in a regular way. That means that most days to varying degrees we get rain. Normally the mornings are hot and a bit steamy then later afternoon down it comes. Having said that, it can also rain all day or not at all. So its hard to quantify how much rain we get. I know that towards the end of the rainy season Ive had enough. Clothes are damp, furniture get a layer of mold and the weeds grow like crazy. The upside is the beauty of the rice fields, forests, and country side, so wonderful to see. Of course its warm so no cold wet days just warm wet days. Then an amazing change happens, one morning you wake up to a blue sky, and out comes the sun. This is late October and its cooling down. The dry season is really the right time to visit, from Mid to late october through to mid end May is just glorious. I remember my first year, I started living here in the Month of october and thought, wow, this is amazing, cool mornings dry blue skies and an abundant supply of water from the full dams.

So although its fine to come visit Isaan in the rainy season, the best time is the winter dry months. The temperature in our village which is surrounded by forests can get as low as 18 degrees but warms up to around 28 to 34 degrees mid morning. Paradise I can tell you. If you are thinking of coming to Isaan drop me a line and Ill give you an update. If not visiting still drop me a line 5555.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Sounds like a great variety, I have been to Los mostly in the rainy season, and as you say, can suddenly bucket down or be clear sky.

I live in tropical north QLD Aust. In the summer it gets hot and humid, like LOS, then come 1/4 to 3pm it buckets down, just as the mothers are trying to pick up the school kids, never fails 5555555.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Ive visited both Udon and Korat in Feb- March and the weather was excellent with nice cool early morning weather - well cool compared to Phuket...no rain either.

November is the best month with green-gold fields of rice crop. Weather is good thru to March but gets dry and hot after.

Last edited by kaptainrob; 14th August 2012 at 09:52. Reason: Photo added
    david j crow likes this.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

david j crow
    Beautiful picture, just sums it up.

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    It is amazing the difference in the season...Dry the dust is everywhere and covers the tree's then the rain comes and the green stands out a very big contrast.

Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    It is amazing the difference in the season...Dry the dust is everywhere and covers the tree's then the rain comes and the green stands out a very big contrast.
    Very little fon tok this season yet, rice crop may be adversely affected ... next month will be critical for many Isaan farmers. Dams are running dry as the water table drops so even those with irrigation systems are in trouble and many (rice) seed stocks have failed.

Here in CM we've had some rain at last and rice has been planted out behind the house ...

Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    ^^Great pic KR a view that would be nice to wake up to.

Mother nature never gives us an even spread...To much or too little...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    November is the best month with green-gold fields of rice crop. Weather is good thru to March but gets dry and hot after.

Gr8 pic, I visited Isaan in November last year, gr8 weather.

DSCF0449.jpg

Ahh! So that's what this looks like when the rains come! I've only been twice and never seen a drop of rain.

Quote Originally Posted by StupScott View Post
    DSCF0449.jpg

Ahh! So that's what this looks like when the rains come! I've only been twice and never seen a drop of rain.
    It's a total transformation, from barren brown to lush green and gold. You've got a pleasant surprise in store when you next visit after rainy season, ~ Nov/Dec is awesome, especially before the rice harvest is fully under way.
    Cheers, Rob.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    DSCF0449.jpg

Bloody hell ...it looks like outback Australia!
    Where IS that?

Here down South , the villiage looks pretty much like this all year round.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It's nice and green in Isaan now.

IMG_0815.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    Bloody hell ...it looks like outback Australia!
    Where IS that?
    It's Nakhon Phanom in February, same same when I returned in April but I've been hearing the rain's been almost daily since Songkran so I'm sure it's staring to brighten up now.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    It's Nakhon Phanom in February, same same when I returned in April but I've been hearing the rain's been almost daily since Songkran so I'm sure it's staring to brighten up now.
    Rice land where you stay in Nakhon Phanom, Scott?
    No rubber trees?

Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    Rice land where you stay in Nakhon Phanom, Scott?
    No rubber trees?
    We've seen a couple of plots growing rubber trees but still 99% rice I'd say.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Not too far from there it`s mainly rubber trees.

Nov-Dec is the best time in Isaan.

FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS