• 1 Post By billpay
  • 1 Post By Moo Uaon
  • 1 Post By Bawdy
  • 1 Post By krukke
  • 1 Post By Moo Uaon

Thread: Udon

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar

Udon

I have a good mate who is heading up to Udon to meet up with a wee lassie he has met online

He would like some recommendations on where to stay, what to do, bars, restaurants...ya know the drill

I haven't been there for about 8-9 years so I am not going to be much help...lat time I was in town for a wedding and was picked up each morning and dropped off each night after midnight mao... I do remember a large clocktower/roundabout? ....a small bunch of bars with what looked like BF'able women in them...and a couple of those large dance hall styled places

I have been told the Paradise Hotel in the centre of town is a decent place...anyone know it?...does it charge a joiner etc?..ideally he would like a swimming pool and a reasonable sized modern room...iirc Paradise rooms are about 1300 baht

so any good info for us in here would be much appreciated....I may just go along for the adventure...as I said..it's been a while

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Judging by the website the place looks good. If I go back or should I say that when I go back. I would probably stay at either @ Home Udon or The Irish Clock.. No pool unfortunately, but right in the middle of everything.. Close to Day, Night and not too far from Nutty Park., the two small bar area's that I visited. There are other bars scattered around as well.
    I liked Udon, as cheap as chips and there are some stunning girls there.. I stayed close to the uni and the eye candy was just out of this world.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน briofoz's Avatar
    I was in Udon not too long ago, great spot to explore. I just used Guesthouses, but mate stayed in Paradise. Its OK, but nothing much around it, about a 10min walk to the Bar Area. Not sure on Joiner, he was with his wife.

A good bar to start the day/night is Aussie Burger Bar. Its in the L shaped lane right at the end. Mein Host, Rob, is a friendly Aussie who will steer you right.

Did a few short road trips...one to Nong Khai, which is an interesting place on the Mekong and a border town with Laos.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by briofoz View Post
    I was in Udon not too long ago, great spot to explore. I just used Guesthouses, but mate stayed in Paradise. Its OK, but nothing much around it, about a 10min walk to the Bar Area. Not sure on Joiner, he was with his wife.

A good bar to start the day/night is Aussie Burger Bar. Its in the L shaped lane right at the end. Mein Host, Rob, is a friendly Aussie who will steer you right.

Did a few short road trips...one to Nong Khai, which is an interesting place on the Mekong and a border town with Laos.
    Agreed on Rob at Aussie Burger Bar. He is a great guy and his place is well worth a visit if only to look at all of his sporting memrabilia... Good place to watch rugby too.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    For an upscale hotel in the middle of it all, you may want to check The Pannarai Hotel. I never stayed there, but Cippy did..

It's just a few doors from @home in which I have stayed several times, which is low budget..
    Has a pool, looks very stylish, and is next doors to the main bar area (night and day?)

As said, two streets of nightlife, but a few nice disco's / nightclubs as well..
    Lots to see and do around Udon, Nong Khai (Brother egg I call it, but sure I miss some tone somewhere..55), but there is the Naga temple in Bandoeng (about 50 k), and in the wet season brilliant views in the rice paddy's everywhere around Udon..
    A bit further is the best temple for me in Thailand, Wat Phu Tok (day trip to go)..

Agree Rak, that would be a good spot...easy short walk to Central, Night Market, Bars, and the shopping areas around the Railway station. Its a buzz of activity around all that area.
    bacwaan likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteGill View Post
    Judging by the website the place looks good. If I go back or should I say that when I go back. I would probably stay at either @ Home Udon or The Irish Clock.. No pool unfortunately, but right in the middle of everything.. Close to Day, Night and not too far from Nutty Park., the two small bar area's that I visited. There are other bars scattered around as well.
    I liked Udon, as cheap as chips and there are some stunning girls there.. I stayed close to the uni and the eye candy was just out of this world.
    Can't beat @Home and the Irish Clock for position,bars straight across the road and to the left and right of it,Central Plaza Mall right next door but no pool.
    I've always stayed at the irish Clock,nice big,modern rooms with not a lot of natural light but around 900 baht/night.

Massage place just near the Mall has some nice older obliging girls.

Udon is a bit of an eat and drink place as there's very little to do and see close to town....i'll be there later this arvo

The Pannarai Hotel Udonthani is in similar part of town but no idea about JF's,maybe PM Cippy?

Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    A bit further is the best temple for me in Thailand, Wat Phu Tok (day trip to go)..
    Yep and a feed on Bueng Khong Long on the way back....2 1/2- 3 hours from UT.
    Last edited by Moo Uaon; 25th June 2014 at 15:25.
    bacwaan likes this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Stayed at @Home Udon with my wife last month. A great hotel for the money, 600 baht. However, no pool, which is no problem for me. Very close to everything, as far as I could tell, and very clean.
    Highly recommend for short stay. Too bad there is no restaurant either.
    bacwaan likes this.
    I hate being bipolar. It's awesome!

^ Irish Clock next door has great food.
    bacwaan likes this.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    hey thanks for all the great responses guys....some really good suggestions in here....

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    I was there last week for 30 min! 555 Was struck by how much greenery was in the town, thought Khon Kaen would be similar, but quite different.
    bacwaan likes this.

I stay in Pannarai Hotel sep. 2012 Nice hotel with pool, did'nt see any one use it.
    Good location we used to go to UD town in the evning i like it. I was there for
    two days, daytime we go look the park with the little see.

There is a nice blog "Beyond the mango juice" who write about UT and nearby places.

I like UT bether then KK.
    bacwaan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    Decided to take the young bloke for a ride up to Wat Phu Tok after the rain stopped,and as thought the abundance of fish and elephant statues kept him amused..

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Moo Uaon; 26th June 2014 at 19:43.
    Quarky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    ^ Irish Clock next door has great food.
    Magnificent breakfast. Doesn't open until 10am though ( I think)