Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: Malaria in Isaan?

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar

Malaria in Isaan?

I just went to my doctors today to see if I needed any more shots before the next holiday and he tells me to get some Malaria Tablets for the Udon Thani part of the trip.. I thought it was only an issue if up north towards the border and if not staying in a hotel/guest-house etc. I brought then just in case but thought I would ask the question. Should I take the tablets just in case or not bother? The only thing I am worried about is that they can make your skin react to the sun more then normal...

Uber Star Foundation member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน vanguy77's Avatar
    I was wondering the same thing G4orce, and came across this bulletin on this site ... MD Travel Health - Thailand - vaccinations, malaria, safety, and other medical advice Info as follows:

Malaria in Thailand: prophylaxis is recommended for rural areas bordering Cambodia, Laos, and Myanmar, including Mae Hong Son. Rare local cases have been reported from Phang Nga and Phuket; malaria pills are not recommended for these two areas. There is no malaria risk in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Pattaya, Ko Samui, and Ko Phangan.

There was a map I looked at on another sight that had Udon Thani in the area affected.

I'm likely ok only going to Phitsanulok province, but might be a good idea for you. Hope that helps.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vanguy77 View Post
    I was wondering the same thing G4orce, and came across this bulletin on this site ... MD Travel Health - Thailand - vaccinations, malaria, safety, and other medical advice Info as follows:

Malaria in Thailand: prophylaxis is recommended for rural areas bordering Cambodia, Laos, and Myanmar, including Mae Hong Son. Rare local cases have been reported from Phang Nga and Phuket; malaria pills are not recommended for these two areas. There is no malaria risk in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Pattaya, Ko Samui, and Ko Phangan.

There was a map I looked at on another sight that had Udon Thani in the area affected.

I'm likely ok only going to Phitsanulok province, but might be a good idea for you. Hope that helps.
    I did see this site and thats what also got me thinking as I will be going to Nong Han, which is retentively close to the Laos border. I did not take malaria tablets for my trip to CM and have never actually taken them in the past.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    I have heard that it's more around Chang Mai and the Mayanmar border and parts of Laos and Cambodia... Malaria Tablets are a funny thing, sometimes making you just as sick as having malaria itself... It might be best to check what times of year that they are in plague proportion (mozzies) and take an educated punt on whether or not you are in high risk... Most villages in LOS have their own mozzie eradication program going on which is good piece of mind... If you choose not to take medication be aware of the symptoms and act fast on any signs...
    Personally I wouldn't bother with them, Thip knows of no one in her village (Nong Khai) that has contracted malaria... maybe ask Noy if she knows anyone

[SIZE="3"]Thailand Malaria Map - Fit For Travel[/SIZE]

Speak to Noy, but I suspect you will be OK. And you are near enough to Udon Thani for hospital treatment if you get any symptoms...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

david j crow
    Im pretty sure its not an issue In Udon,Im living near Mukdahan and Havent heard of any outbreak in Udon or in fact anywhere in Isaan of recent. The village I live in does however maintain an eradication program and they have had that in place for at least the twelve years Ive been here. Im sure most villages have the same program. My wife, as a child contracted Malaria so back then it was an issue, as was Dengi. But now Im sure its all good stuff, no probs. My advice to my son when he visited was that the cure was worse than the bite. Ive heard that after effects of the medicine can be numerous. A good insect repellant is worthwhile as the rainy season can bring out the Mozzies.

Agree with djc, use repellent but keep the tablets with you in case of need ... not so effective after, but better than nothing.

I took tabs to PNG when I sailed up there a few years ago and never used them. Reading up about mosquito-borne diseases, of which Japanese encephalitis is the WORST, one finds that outbreaks are usually localised due to mosquito short life-span and non-migratory habit.

So, if you hear of a malaria case whilst travelling, start popping the pills. I saw one demented PNG islander on his deathbed, beyond saving, but we gave the villagers a large supply of tablets from our stocks.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!