Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Buriram

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Driving into the "Big smoke" today through lots of small villages and couldn't help noticing that each one had a painted pedestrian crossing in it.
    Mind you, the average speed of the traffic there would have been 120-130Kph. It seemed to me at best a bit of a waste of paint and at worst a recipe for disaster.
    As we went through one (I'm a passenger) there was this old lady with a stick and i wondered how many times she'd spun the wheel (of death) to get to the other side.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    Driving into the "Big smoke" today through lots of small villages and couldn't help noticing that each one had a painted pedestrian crossing in it.
    Mind you, the average speed of the traffic there would have been 120-130Kph. It seemed to me at best a bit of a waste of paint and at worst a recipe for disaster.
    As we went through one (I'm a passenger) there was this old lady with a stick and i wondered how many times she'd spun the wheel (of death) to get to the other side.
    Driving through Costa Rica and numerous small villages, they all have speed bumps down the roads
    I think that would be a real pain in the ass living in a village with speed bumps every 50 yards/metres

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    I think that would be a real pain in the ass living in a village with speed bumps every 50 yards/metres

Welcome to Australia 555..........I still laugh at the first time Paer came to Australia.......why falang make good road no good...ting tong
    Quarky likes this.
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    five and a half inc stops last time had a good run traffic heavy at times but flowing only really thinning once we were at the turn off to Nakon Ratchacima but depends what time you move past that heavy Saraburi traffic.
    There are a couple of non freeway roads that run north from Swampy and rejoin the mainroad a little south of Saraburi that work quite well but speed will be closer to 100kph than the usual 130 on the freeway....Less heavy braking.55555
    There is an other option from Swampie.. Drive the 7 towards Chonburi, and, eh.. Somewhere before Chonburi turn off and find the 304 through the mountain range...
    I had a guide, but your navigation will do the same when close to Chonburi..

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    I've only driven once to Surin from Bangkok. Around 8 hours there and 12 hours back over new year period. We even delayed the return trip by a day to avoid traffic! Since then, we fly to Buriram and get a car from there.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    There is an other option from Swampie.. Drive the 7 towards Chonburi, and, eh.. Somewhere before Chonburi turn off and find the 304 through the mountain range...
    I had a guide, but your navigation will do the same when close to Chonburi..
    Quite truck heavy but a nice route. Not quicker though.

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    I've only driven once to Surin from Bangkok. Around 8 hours there and 12 hours back over new year period. We even delayed the return trip by a day to avoid traffic! Since then, we fly to Buriram and get a car from there.
    Thought about doing same but and you may well clarify this. Is it quicker once you take in transfer time and then getting hire car orged?

Airport pickup would be no problem for me, we are about 55k from Buriram city. Just need to know about regular connections from Swampy or Don Mueang to Buriram airport.

Not forgetting mrs 100kg of luggage...555
    Gazmac likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    I got the bus from Surin to Pattaya once, a whopping 11 hours, and we actually bypassed BKK, imagine it would have been worse if we went thu it, tho' it was interesting to catch 'The Bargirl Express'! 555 To get there I flew to Ubon though as I wanted to see some of the ruins in the area.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bawdy View Post
    I got the bus from Surin to Pattaya once, a whopping 11 hours, and we actually bypassed BKK, imagine it would have been worse if we went thu it, tho' it was interesting to catch 'The Bargirl Express'! 555 To get there I flew to Ubon though as I wanted to see some of the ruins in the area.
    Man, I must have taken the bus between Boston/NYC over 100 times.
    Only 4:30hrs though, not 11

And no Bar Girl Express but man there were a lot of characters and nutjobs on the bus back then!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    What's the cost? Could be a recipe for disasters.55555
    Think it's around 12k baht for the day.

TD GP?

The MTB go kart GPs use to be a hoot
    wabbits likes this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    Air Asia flies daily and Nok twice a day from DMK. Door to door is 5 to 6 hours to Kap Choeng. Found a small car hire company that brings the car to the airport, so bags and away in around 15 minutes. The majors (e.g. SixT) drive you to pick up the car nearby.
    Changone likes this.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Driving through Costa Rica and numerous small villages, they all have speed bumps down the roads
    Think I should clarify the "Small villages" bit. Yes they are, but the road going through the middle of them is a 4 lane highway only one step short of a full on Motorway.
    If they put speed bumps in they'd have to be prepared to clear up the wreckage after all the pickups hit them at 130+
    It just seems ludicrous blazing along at that speed and seeing a crossing painted across the 4 lanes with a bit of turf in the centre. No warning signs of any kind.
    The only sign I saw was a small advisory one on the outskirts of each town which said "City limit" "Slow down" but nobody does.
    At least today I saw a footbridge leading to and from a school.

Another thing which makes me wonder is at night, so many cars are now running along with bright flashing red and blue lights going.
    Not the pissweak small ones, big extra bright ones on the roof.
    Makes you wonder what the cops have to do to get noticed, maybe a shot across your bow.....?

Hwy 22 Udon-sakhon now has many signs with a speed limit of 50 in some villages and a camera depicted on them. Certainly slowed the traffic down. Where i use to do 100 might be closer to 70 now. Other traffic similar.
    Changone likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    Hwy 22 Udon-sakhon now has many signs with a speed limit of 50 in some villages and a camera depicted on them. Certainly slowed the traffic down. Where i use to do 100 might be closer to 70 now. Other traffic similar.
    You cannot call that road a highway!
    It's connecting villages all the way, and every time they improved or widened that road it attracted more people living alongside it...

Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    You cannot call that road a highway!
    It's connecting villages all the way, and every time they improved or widened that road it attracted more people living alongside it...
    Its now been duplicated and 4 lane divided between Udon and sawan daen din. Flows a bit better now.

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    Its now been duplicated and 4 lane divided between Udon and sawan daen din. Flows a bit better now.
    But still so many villages are both north and south of that road..
    IMO it's stupidity to promote connecting roads to highways, because in essence, they are not...
    Quarky likes this.

Got Prince "Purple Rain" cranked this morning, seems appropriate here in the rainy season, streaming UK night-time 80's flashback Heart radio Somerset UK I love technology...555

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12