Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Khao Lak

  1. #1
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    21,337

    Khao Lak

    Has anyone been to Khao Lak?

    If so, how do you like it? Is there a good center or village with bars/restaurants?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    18,346
    I was there again about 2 months back - in late November. This time on the very north end.
    The actual "Khao Lak" beach is BEFORE the National Park , but its the bit After the NP ( and north of it ) that is mostly visited.

    KL , AFTER the National Park , is a long strip of really one beach with little points and new names.
    A 4 lane road runs about a half to one kilometre behind the beach(es) and that road has a lot of restaurants , guesthouses and little ( non-lady ) style bars on it.
    There are also clusters of bar/music venues on or near the beach hotels , but its all very low key.
    Im sure its busy now , but many of the places close for 8 months of the year - that sort of resort place.

    We were there ( for one night ) because we went to meet close friends from home and have a feast on the beach .
    The busiest part is just after where the coast rd winds thru a lovely national park and you come down the road called 'Phet Kasem' ( which is nowadays like a very short freeway) to behind Nang Thong Beach. This part has the most concentrated area of shops and restaurants and maybe a disco or two ( but Ive never seen one !)
    I'd hesitate to call it a 'centre' as its a strip ( and a bit ) on either side of a big road.

    Heres an artistic sort of map of the whole KL area

    https://www.google.co.th/search?q=Pi...jVSOKz2fV2M%3A

    The rds going down to the beaches have hotels and g/hses and a dusting of restaurants and shops and the occassional bar on them.
    Pretty quiet but.

    https://www.google.co.th/search?q=Pi...Wi1zka8xadM%3A

    Above is the map of main area ( Nang Thong ) - I stayed at Green Beach on the beach with Laos Lady twice many years back .... She saw 'pee lawk' everytime we went walking there BTW...

    Bloody hell - just came across a Tsunami pic of 'Green Beach' and 'Gerd and Noi' guesthouse next door !

    Pacific Tsunami Museum | Survivor Narratives: 2004 | Consider a T-shirt...



    Worth a nite I guess - or 2 at most . You could spend both on the beach and have a walk around the villiages and in the National Park and to the waterfall.
    Also see the big navy boat washed 3kms in by the Tsunami there a bit further up ( 3km ?) at Bang Niang...

    https://www.google.co.th/search?q=Kh...iIogUgoZzLM%3A
    Last edited by Chob; 5th February 2016 at 03:26.
    Quarky likes this.

  3. #3
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    21,337
    Thanks Dean
    What about Koh Phangna?

    Anyone familiar with that?

    Ao really wants to go Samui and I love Lamai but it adds close to 1kcad on with flights for just 3 days

  4. #4
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    18,346
    Koh Phangnan is a big island off Samui.

    Phang Nga is a small town north of Phuket on the way to Khao Lak. It would be quieter than KL by a long way.

    The good thing about KL is that its only an hour and a half max drive from Patong !
    You wouldnt be bored if you stayed 2 days and nights.... I know you love nice hotels and it has plenty!

    Ao Nang in Krabi is 2 and a half hours max due east.
    Its fairly lively.

  5. #5
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    21,337
    Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    Koh Phangnan is a big island off Samui.

    Phang Nga is a small town north of Phuket on the way to Khao Lak. It would be quieter than KL by a long way.

    The good thing about KL is that its only an hour and a half max drive from Patong !
    You wouldnt be bored if you stayed 2 days and nights.... I know you love nice hotels and it has plenty!

    Ao Nang in Krabi is 2 and a half hours max due east.
    Its fairly lively.
    Thanks bud
    We've been to Krabi..........looking for somewhere we never been
    And driveable north of Phuket because we driving HH to Phuket

    I wish Samui wasn't so expensive to fly to but I guess that is half the reason I like it so much

  6. #6
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    18,346
    Reportedly one of the most scenic drives in Thailand is from Ranong through to Surat Thani ( or Chumphon )

    https://www.google.co.th/webhp?sourc...to+Surat+Thani

    Google some reports , its supposed to be very nice touring
    Zablive and Soupdragon like this.

  7. #7
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    wollongong
    Posts
    3,304
    Mark I can highly recommend this Resort "Nang Thong Bay Resort" Its right on the Beach Near where Chob mentioned as being the popular part of Khao Lak.
    Its a very nice Resort with a choice of different style rooms, starting at Motel style rooms at the back to Very Nice Bungalows on the beach front.
    I stayed there in the Low Season a few years back and would stay there again If I was traveling with GF or Wife....Im going back to Khao Lak this april but staying on the Eastern side of the Highway where its much cheaper 55555 (budget is tight)
    Khao lak is a pretty cruisy place and as Chob said, good for 2 to 3 days.

  8. #8
    Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Samui
    Posts
    9,076
    pretty good lowdown from Deano on Khao Lak...it has plenty of luxury hotels at good prices outside of peak season, a nice beach and some lovely beaches nearby, the park is also nearby and it has a decent infrastructure of restaurants and activities in the town...its a family joint and one which has always been popular with scuba divers (that's how I came to know it) as it is the take-off point for the Similan Islands (a great day trip by speedboat if you are up for that)....so don't be expecting too much of a bar/party scene..but it is there if you look hard

    Koh Phangan is where the Full Moon Parties are held...its nice outside of the FM party times but geographically very similar to here...you can get there by boat from Samui in about 40 mins if you wanna head over...even take a day trip..there is also a nice day trip sailing on a junk around the whole island with stops from snorkeling etc if that appeals

  9. #9
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    21,337
    Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    pretty good lowdown from Deano on Khao Lak...it has plenty of luxury hotels at good prices outside of peak season, a nice beach and some lovely beaches nearby, the park is also nearby and it has a decent infrastructure of restaurants and activities in the town...its a family joint and one which has always been popular with scuba divers (that's how I came to know it) as it is the take-off point for the Similan Islands (a great day trip by speedboat if you are up for that)....so don't be expecting too much of a bar/party scene..but it is there if you look hard

    Koh Phangan is where the Full Moon Parties are held...its nice outside of the FM party times but geographically very similar to here...you can get there by boat from Samui in about 40 mins if you wanna head over...even take a day trip..there is also a nice day trip sailing on a junk around the whole island with stops from snorkeling etc if that appeals
    I'm more than likely heading to Lamai
    Just that work is so slow..........so trying to keep expenses down

    But should be ok

  10. #10
    Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Samui
    Posts
    9,076
    Its a $100 to fly from HKT to SMU...things aren't that bad are they?....555

  11. #11
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    21,337
    Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    Its a $100 to fly from HKT to SMU...things aren't that bad are they?....555
    Haha.......no
    The last 2-3 years I have tried to keep my holidays down to 8kcad or so and it is creeping up there

    Plus it costs me close to 1kcad for the dog hotel so things definitely add up

    and the flights are close to 700cad for the 2 of us

  12. #12
    Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Samui
    Posts
    9,076
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    and the flights are close to 700cad for the 2 of us
    do you mean all internal flights including SMU-SUV...or just from HKT-SMU....if its just to SMU that price is crazy

  13. #13
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    21,337
    Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    do you mean all internal flights including SMU-SUV...or just from HKT-SMU....if its just to SMU that price is crazy
    HKT-SMU-BKK for 2
    about 160cad each way
    bacwaan likes this.

  14. #14
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    เชียงใหม่
    Posts
    18,941
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Haha.......no

    Plus it costs me close to 1kcad for the dog hotel so things definitely add up
    Gees. ..I bet the dog let's out a cheer when you pi55 off 55
    Last edited by Moo Uaon; 9th February 2016 at 18:42.
    kaptainrob likes this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

  15. #15
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    21,337
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    Gees. ..I bet the dog let's out a cheer when you pi55 off 55
    Ha-ha
    He certainly does.
    For these long trips I try to get one of Ao's friends to stay at out house and watch him.....I pay them 25/day
    Cuts the bill in half.
    But the 2 people I use both have full time jobs now.

    When I go away for 3-4 days.....I don't mind using the dog hotel and it is a real treat for him

  16. #16
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    4,830
    Koh Phangan is great. Been there once before in 2012 and going back again in April for a week. Nice beaches and not busy compared to elsewhere.

  17. #17
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star KRIS-ONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,057
    Is it not packed with the great unwashed?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. #18
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    18,346
    Not packed at all outside of full moon when I went.

  19. #19
    Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Samui
    Posts
    9,076
    Quote Originally Posted by supersub View Post
    Koh Phangan is great. Been there once before in 2012 and going back again in April for a week. Nice beaches and not busy compared to elsewhere.
    will be interested to hear whether you are still saying this after your songkran visit....555

    Of course you can find some nice quiet beaches if you get away from Haad Rin where the FMPs are and head up to the northwest and north coast...but SS is going at the busiest time of the year for his trip in April this year...loads of Thais (along with the usual falangs) flood the island for Songkran. The FMP and the week either side of it..it is their NY and holidays after all

  20. #20
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    18,346
    Yes , the trouble is that Songkran is the last of the holiday season , and its gonna be busy everywhere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •