Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MarcTwoSix

Thread: Car Ferry to Samui

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar

Car Ferry to Samui

So it is kind of weird..........it is cheaper for me to rent a car in BKK and drop it off in Samui than dropping it off in Surat Thani Aiirport and taking the bus to the ferry pier.

Plus I have a tempermental TG with me 555

I know Chob said he had issues with taking a car over on the ferry

Seatran has a membership card that allows you to reserve a ferry time with the car

Has anyone used this membership/reservation and is it worth driving the car over and dropping it off in Samui?

Thanks

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    absolutely no issues taking a car over....it costs about 600 baht from memory....there are 2 ferry services almost side by side at Don Sak....Seatrans and Raja and daftly they both leave on the hour...Rajah is less used so I'd try that one first

From my knowledge the membership card is for frequent users..commercial travelers and island residents etc...

your trip will be not too long after songkran and traffic will still be reasonably busy...so my advice is to try to prebook via your hire car company..if you can't do that get to the wharf by early afternon if possible so can get on
    Last edited by bacwaan; 25th February 2016 at 01:00.

Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    absolutely no issues taking a car over....it costs about 600 baht from memory....there are 2 ferry services almost side by side at Don Sak....Seatrans and Raja and daftly they both leave on the hour...Rajah is less used so I'd try that one first

From my knowledge the membership card is for frequent users..commercial travelers and island residents etc...

your trip will be not too long after songkran and traffic will still be reasonably busy...so my advice is to try to prebook via your hire car company..if you can't do that get to the wharf by early afternon if possible so can get on
    The membership card is 1000k so I'd be overpaying by 300-400baht only using it once but I think with time saved, plus appeasing my tempermental wife is worth it

I believe you can pre-book with seatran if you have the card.......I will look into Rajah

Looks like you can pre-book Rajah but I will have Ao call tonight and see

So weird that it is cheaper to drop it off at a later time in Samui than at Surat Thani

Platinum
    Have you checked if they can pick up the car at the ferry pir, it can be very difficult to get the car on the ferry.

Quote Originally Posted by anmeno View Post
    Have you checked if they can pick up the car at the ferry pir, it can be very difficult to get the car on the ferry.
    there seems to be no drop off............I didn't ask them about picking it up
    maybe I should..........that would be ideal

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Did you do any more investigation?....leaving the car via pick-up/drop off should be possible at Don Sak...but there vmay be a slight premium...if you have trouble booking the ferry and still want to bring the car I have a travel agent friend here who has offered to do the booking for you using her password but I will need to know car model/rego etc if we go down that route

Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    Did you do any more investigation?....leaving the car via pick-up/drop off should be possible at Don Sak...but there vmay be a slight premium...if you have trouble booking the ferry and still want to bring the car I have a travel agent friend here who has offered to do the booking for you using her password but I will need to know car model/rego etc if we go down that route
    Thanks man
    Yes I did...........I haven't heard back from rental companies about dropping off at Don Sak........I am going to have Ao call them direct next week

But I did hear back from Raja and you can book and reserve a car booking online to guarantee the time.........the only thing is you need to be there 1 hour before whereas when I took the bus from ST airport they have it timed up where you only wait 10mins or so before ferry leaves

If I can drop off at DonSak I'd pay the premium for sure

Platinum
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Thanks man
    Yes I did...........I haven't heard back from rental companies about dropping off at Don Sak........I am going to have Ao call them direct next week

But I did hear back from Raja and you can book and reserve a car booking online to guarantee the time.........the only thing is you need to be there 1 hour before whereas when I took the bus from ST airport they have it timed up where you only wait 10mins or so before ferry leaves

If I can drop off at DonSak I'd pay the premium for sure
    Which company do you rent the car from?

Quote Originally Posted by anmeno View Post
    Which company do you rent the car from?
    Hertz or Avis

Just a follow up

Ao called Hertz and they will pick up the car at Don Sak but it is 1600baht
    I don't think you save that much time for 1600 instead of dropping off at airport and taking the shuttle

I don't know if I got lucky last time but it was really quick

Also, we decided to stay 1 night in Khao Sok so can get a relatively early ferry to Samui so have time to drop off at airport
    bacwaan likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    My only problem with the ferry is the possible wait times.
    As you know Ive driven it in my pick-up many times , and the go has always been to hit one of the 'entry boxes' and ask what ferry I will get on to , then whip around and check out the other ones wait times.
    I usually have to wait for the ferry after next , so 1 hour plus 10 to 40 minutes but thats always getting to the terminal before 1pm - but I once waited 3 hours because of Bernies slowness , arriving there at 2pm...

Then this year i heard off various Kamala friends about extended wait times .
    I always hire a scoot at lamai , so really dont need a car once on Samui , so last time i went with Anmeno , I left my truck at his place about 40kms from Don Sak , and we put our scoots into his BILs pickup and got dropped off at Don Sak.
    This proved ideal ...we literally rode straight on to the ferry. ( Theres always room to squeeze another scoot onto a Thai ferry ! 555 )

Its only negligable but I also saved 2 x 500 baht for the car , and 200 a day on renting a scoot as well...
    If it were me , I would avoid taking the car on the ferry pretty much always.
    Its different when Ive got the tg and grand daughter , then we take the ute with a scoot in the tray , but if Im going singley , which I may well do in a few weeks , then I will probably just park the car at the terminal for 100 a day and scoot or walk on.

When are you going there Paulie?
    Maybe Anmeno and i will meet up with you and baccy again this year for a few good dinners...

Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    My only problem with the ferry is the possible wait times.
    As you know Ive driven it in my pick-up many times , and the go has always been to hit one of the 'entry boxes' and ask what ferry I will get on to , then whip around and check out the other ones wait times.
    I usually have to wait for the ferry after next , so 1 hour plus 10 to 40 minutes but thats always getting to the terminal before 1pm - but I once waited 3 hours because of Bernies slowness , arriving there at 2pm...

Then this year i heard off various Kamala friends about extended wait times .
    I always hire a scoot at lamai , so really dont need a car once on Samui , so last time i went with Anmeno , I left my truck at his place about 40kms from Don Sak , and we put our scoots into his BILs pickup and got dropped off at Don Sak.
    This proved ideal ...we literally rode straight on to the ferry. ( Theres always room to squeeze another scoot onto a Thai ferry ! 555 )

Its only negligable but I also saved 2 x 500 baht for the car , and 200 a day on renting a scoot as well...
    If it were me , I would avoid taking the car on the ferry pretty much always.
    Its different when Ive got the tg and grand daughter , then we take the ute with a scoot in the tray , but if Im going singley , which I may well do in a few weeks , then I will probably just park the car at the terminal for 100 a day and scoot or walk on.

When are you going there Paulie?
    Maybe Anmeno and i will meet up with you and baccy again this year for a few good dinners...
    I've asked Raja ferry and you can reserve a time but you still need to be there and hour before it leaves
    The way the bus is situated from ST airport it seems it gets there right when ferry is taking off so decided just to do what I did last time
    Drop the car off at ST airport and hop on the bus to ferry

Ao and I are there Apr20-23 and the one thing I'm looking forward to is dinners on the beach every night
    It would be great again to have you guys around

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Hmm ... Andy leaves on 18th .
    I think I read that somewhere on TD before.
    Anyway , will see what happens.

Did you get a phone number for Rachas Booking Office or reservations number?

Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    Hmm ... Andy leaves on 18th .
    I think I read that somewhere on TD before.
    Anyway , will see what happens.

Did you get a phone number for Rachas Booking Office or reservations number?
    I emailed them and Ao called to confirm tahtbee could reserve a booking time for the car and they said yes both times.

Seatran is a bit more difficult
    You can reserve times but have to have a member card

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Then you gotta be there on time. Waiting is the way to go if in a car.

On foot or MB is a breeze. First on first off on the first ferry for the bikes
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS