Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Samui in July - Picking a Hotel in Lamai

Samui in July - Picking a Hotel in Lamai

Hey everyone,

I am coming to Samui in July for about five days along with my wife. We were looking at Lamai Wanta resort - has anyone stayed there? I can get a good rate through Agoda for about 1700 baht, including breakfast for both of us. It seems quite central and has everything we're looking for (except ocean view, which I don't know if we'll find in our budget).

We were hoping for something beachfront, in a good location near restaurants, massage, etc. and around 2000 baht or less.

As I know many of you know Samui well I thought I'd throw it out there to see you have any feedback on this property (or other similar ones) before we book it.

Any thoughts are appreciated - cheers!

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Wanta is a good choice Khun Van...nice enough rooms, right on a good part of the beach, large pool area and a 2 minute walk to the restaurants/bars/nightlife.....1700 for 2 with breakfast is a very good price for them...there are also plenty of restaurants along the beach there right by The Wanta...TBH it would be hard to find a better location in Lamai...though Lamai is pretty small and most of the hotels are within easy walk to all of the above...

Let me know if you want me to offer up alternatives...though that is a very good deal for that time of the year imo..or if you need me to call into the hotel for you for any reason...I am up in that area most days...
    justcruzing1 and VanD like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Honestly, as Nels said
    Lamai Wanta really fits what you said you wanted

The pool is excellent right on the beach basically
    VanD likes this.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    We stayed in Chaweng but next time it will be Lamai. It has/had a much more local and Thai feel to it than Chaweng did.

My biggest gripe about Samui was that it has contracted the Phuket Taxi disease and transport was mostly a rip-off.

The body-surfing was fun.

Samui 2016.jpg
    Tingtong and VanD like this.
    Life is the unexpected ...

yeah taxis are expensive here...but not that crazily so if you barter with them...me and SE took one just recently from Lamai to Chaweng Noi for a day out at The Beach Club...I got him for 300 baht for a 25 minute trip...which to me is OK...a shared baht bus would have been 100 each...so 200 and it was fkn hot

Most of us who live here have our own private drivers we use rather tha taxis if going to/from the airport...I pay 500 to my gal where a taxi would normally ask 800 baht

If I was having a family holiday here I would hire a car for the whole time...there is a lot more to the island (especially inland) than most people explore
    Minder and VanD like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar
    @Nelson - Just out of interest what's the route of the bhat buses?

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by supersub View Post
    Just out of interest what's the route of the bhat buses?

From my experience there is no set route, they will take you anywhere, just confirm the price before you climb in the back, and be prepared for others to join you along the way, thats how they make there money 555.
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Quote Originally Posted by Rivo View Post
    From my experience there is no set route, they will take you anywhere, just confirm the price before you climb in the back, and be prepared for others to join you along the way, thats how they make there money 555.
    Ok I see thanks. Sounds fair enough.

They do have a regular route between Bophut and Chaweng + another between Lamai and Chaweng...but as Rivo says they will divert a little (for a little more) if that suits them..there are some that just go around the ring road too, that deviate via the town centre roads to pick up/drop off

Just flag one down and ask how much to wherever you want to go..it's best to be standing on a road that they would normally be headed along to your destination though (like for Lamai be on Chaweng Beach Rd heading South or if you want to go to Bophut go up to where the one way system starts at the top, then stand a little north of that as they turn to head up to Chaweng Nth/Choeng Mon/Bophut)...also make sure you let them know you only want a shared baht bus and not a taxi as they offer both services..and make sure you get the price you want...as I said most ask for 100 baht for Chaweng/Lamai or Bophut/Chaweng etc....
    VanD likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    Wanta is a good choice Khun Van...nice enough rooms, right on a good part of the beach, large pool area and a 2 minute walk to the restaurants/bars/nightlife.....1700 for 2 with breakfast is a very good price for them...there are also plenty of restaurants along the beach there right by The Wanta...TBH it would be hard to find a better location in Lamai...though Lamai is pretty small and most of the hotels are within easy walk to all of the above...

Let me know if you want me to offer up alternatives...though that is a very good deal for that time of the year imo..or if you need me to call into the hotel for you for any reason...I am up in that area most days...
    Thanks very much, Bacwaan. I appreciate it. I thought it looked like a great option, but there's no substitute for experience or local knowledge, so I feel good about booking it now. Sometimes you can go blind looking through all the properties on Agoda, Trip Advisor, etc. 555

Really looking forward to exploring Samui. I've been to LoS many times but haven't had the opportunity to check out Samui yet, and it's Angela's first time in Asia, so this will be a good time. We like to explore more than just the beaches, and I'm obsessed with photography, so we'll definitely be into covering a lot of ground on the island. Can't wait!

Thanks again for the info.
    bacwaan likes this.

They do have a regular route between Bophut and Chaweng + another between Lamai and Chaweng...but as Rivo says they will divert a little (for a little more) if that suits them..there are some that just go around the ring road too, that deviate via the town centre roads to pick up/drop off

Just flag one down and ask how much to wherever you want to go..it's best to be standing on a road that they would normally be headed along to your destination though (like for Lamai be on Chaweng Beach Rd heading South or if you want to go to Bophut go up to where the one way system starts at the top, then stand a little north of that as they turn to head up to Chaweng Nth/Choeng Mon/Bophut)...also make sure you let them know you only want a shared baht bus and not a taxi as they offer both services..and make sure you get the price you want...as I said most ask for 100 baht for Chaweng/Lamai or Bophut/Chaweng etc....
    Thanks. Good to know what you usually pay as well so I know if I'm being ripped off.

Quote Originally Posted by VanD View Post
    Thanks very much, Bacwaan. I appreciate it. I thought it looked like a great option, but there's no substitute for experience or local knowledge, so I feel good about booking it now. Sometimes you can go blind looking through all the properties on Agoda, Trip Advisor, etc. 555

Really looking forward to exploring Samui. I've been to LoS many times but haven't had the opportunity to check out Samui yet, and it's Angela's first time in Asia, so this will be a good time. We like to explore more than just the beaches, and I'm obsessed with photography, so we'll definitely be into covering a lot of ground on the island. Can't wait!

Thanks again for the info.
    feel free to drop me a line just before you get here or when you arrive...be happy to catch up and share a bit of local knowledge if you like ...
    VanD likes this.

feel free to drop me a line just before you get here or when you arrive...be happy to catch up and share a bit of local knowledge if you like ...
    Thanks for the offer - will do! We're just firming up dates now - coming down from Chiang Mai sometime around July 15th or 16th.
    bacwaan likes this.

I've stayed at Lamai Wanta Van D.. very comfortable beds! And nice small pool on the beach... hard to go wrong there.... though something a little clinical about the place... lack of cockroaches might be it... 55. Though Bungalows at Lamai Inn 99 were good right on the beach as well. And the Weekender often has good deals.

Depends what you like. Do you want to wake up and be able to see the sea? As most rooms at Lamai Wanta are set back a little...
    VanD likes this.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    I've stayed at Lamai Wanta Van D.. very comfortable beds! And nice small pool on the beach... hard to go wrong there.... though something a little clinical about the place... lack of cockroaches might be it... 55. Though Bungalows at Lamai Inn 99 were good right on the beach as well. And the Weekender often has good deals.

Depends what you like. Do you want to wake up and be able to see the sea? As most rooms at Lamai Wanta are set back a little...
    Thanks very much, DP. Great feedback, and I can deal with clinical if it means no cockroaches. 55

Everything looks good and the price is right, so I'll book it this afternoon. Cheers -

Quote Originally Posted by VanD View Post
    Thanks very much, DP. Great feedback, and I can deal with clinical if it means no cockroaches. 55

Everything looks good and the price is right, so I'll book it this afternoon. Cheers -
    I always prefer to be a bit away from the action
    But my wife likes to be able to walk to things...........so she is always pushing to be in the center
    VanD likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post

Lamai Inn 99 , I found the rooms very dated and moved as soon as I could
    Weekender , wasn't that impressed with the cheaper rooms , the showers were in the bath and a bit of a climb into , slippery and dangerous , especially at stupid o'clock ...

Think I may try the Wanta next trip
    VanD likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    Lamai Inn 99 , I found the rooms very dated and moved as soon as I could
    Weekender , wasn't that impressed with the cheaper rooms , the showers were in the bath and a bit of a climb into , slippery and dangerous , especially at stupid o'clock ...

Think I may try the Wanta next trip
    I was in Dupree's room at Weekender
    I found them very dark and a bit musty smelling
    VanD likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    I always prefer to be a bit away from the action
    But my wife likes to be able to walk to things...........so she is always pushing to be in the center
    I can relate - my wife is the same. She would much prefer to be within reasonable walking distance of everything, so this place fits the bill nicely for us - seems like a good mix of beachfront and easy access to Lamai centre.

I stayed at Lamai Wanta a few years ago and the rooms were fine. Didn't have any complaints overall. Rooms were within walking distance to the action but set back far enough to get a good nights sleep. Close to the beach.
    VanD likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast