• 3 Post By kaptainrob
  • 2 Post By kaptainrob
  • 2 Post By Bacon
  • 2 Post By bacwaan
  • 1 Post By Nomad

Thread: What to do in Samui when you're old

Cadet Gold

What to do in Samui when you're old

In a couple of weeks I am off to Koh Samui with some family. My 79 year old mom is going with us, and I have no clue what to do with her 55. I'll be out drinking most nights obviously and will probably meet up with my mom around noon for some sightseeing. Besides being old she is in good health, although I am not sure how far she (or I for that matter 555) can walk in the heat. What can you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeDK View Post
    In a couple of weeks I am off to Koh Samui with some family. My 79 year old mom is going with us, and I have no clue what to do with her 55. I'll be out drinking most nights obviously and will probably meet up with my mom around noon for some sightseeing. Besides being old she is in good health, although I am not sure how far she (or I for that matter 555) can walk in the heat. What can you recommend?
    Arrange to meet her in the Irish Bar at midnight. She'll be the one with half a dozen men hanging off her every word...
    Ian Forbes likes this.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Ladyboy show , think they are in Chaweng , start quite early I think , good wholesome family fun

Thought the title was a reference to Baccy ... lol. But he's not THAT old, yet.
    Quarky, Ian Forbes and OZZYGUY like this.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Thought the title was a reference to Baccy ... lol. But he's not THAT old, yet.
    I think you are older yeah?....55

Ian may be better to comment on this thread...

Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    I think you are older yeah?....55

Ian may be better to comment on this thread...
    Yeah, I'm exactly that ... 55

If Ian were on KS he could hook up with Mrs YDK.
    Ian Forbes and OZZYGUY like this.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Don't always have to be doing stuff. Grab a bungalow right on the beach where she can spend the day relaxing in the sun. Food, drink and massage will never be far away. In between that you can organise a couple of activities here and there.

Day out on a boat maybe? Find something with a cover, not sure. And there's this place up in the hills that we rode past one day and Nells pointed out that it's a popular spa place. Maybe book her a full day thing there.
    YankeeDK and OZZYGUY like this.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    As Bacon says..make sure she has easy access to a beach so she can wander down there in the morninngs and have breakfast/walk/swim whilst you are sleeping off your hangover....

There is a great day tour on a boat out to the Ang Thong National Park...hundreds of islands just off Samui..and another one to Koh Phanghan/Koh Tao

a half day trip out to Koh Tan/Koh Madsum on a longtail with snorkeling on a reef

plenty of day tours around the islands she can join if she is OK to go on a baht bus truck tour which goes up and over the mountains both coming and going

Take her up to The Jungle Club for sundowners..nice view out over Chaweng from up there...

Coral Cove, Siver Beach and Chaweng Noi are all great beaches to spend the day on..

But most of all...relax
    Ian Forbes and YankeeDK like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by YankeeDK View Post
    Mum travels with us sometimes and similar age. Enjoys just being with us mainly, get's a kick out of seeing young kids having fun (e.g. at the pool), strolling around the markets (Bhoput?), fish spa, massage and pedicures, temple at Bhoput also, watching Australian Football (or American for you) at a sports bar, etc.
    YankeeDK likes this.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

Cadet Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    As Bacon says..make sure she has easy access to a beach so she can wander down there in the morninngs and have breakfast/walk/swim whilst you are sleeping off your hangover....

There is a great day tour on a boat out to the Ang Thong National Park...hundreds of islands just off Samui..and another one to Koh Phanghan/Koh Tao

a half day trip out to Koh Tan/Koh Madsum on a longtail with snorkeling on a reef

plenty of day tours around the islands she can join if she is OK to go on a baht bus truck tour which goes up and over the mountains both coming and going

Take her up to The Jungle Club for sundowners..nice view out over Chaweng from up there...

Coral Cove, Siver Beach and Chaweng Noi are all great beaches to spend the day on..

But most of all...relax
    Great ideas from the last half of the thread

Yes i am going to stay in a cheap hotel because that's what I am, but I booked my mom into a beach front hotel, and she loves reading, so I don't worry, that she will enjoy her time, while I sleep. Half day tours are a good idea, and the Jungle Club looks awesome.

One more thing. She loves jazz. I don't suppose you know of any jazz clubs in Samui? Or if not, then in Bangkok. We have 1 day there on arrival before we go to Samui.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Yeah, I'm exactly that ... 55

If Ian were on KS he could hook up with Mrs YDK.
    That is true. I'm sure she would be fun to be with. Baccy gave lots of great suggestions.