Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Hi !

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar

Hi !

Hello all , I have had a good look at this Forum now , and am just writing to say that I like what I see, and first plan is to start doing some of the exercises on the Language section.
    Ive lived in LOS a while now , but still learning nearly everyday .
    If I can be of any help , I'll try as well.
    I have some anecdotes and conversations from my time here that I will later post and may raise a smile.
    Keep up the good work with the Forum guys.
    Chob.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar
    Thank Chobby and Welcome to This Board. I cant wait for you input. I know you have started to post already but I am catchin up still from my holiday. Things are busy back home so finding it hard to get time online.

Will be good to see the Language section grow. I am trying my hardest to learnt the language so that i can communicate with the Inlaws and when myself and Noy eventually have children we would liek them to speak Tahi and English.

WTTB Chob...looking forward to hearing more from someone on the ground. Where abouts in LOS are you, if you don't mind me asking?
    I won the sperm-egg lottery. Invest wisely, spend carefully and give generously.

Welcome Mr Chob. What does Chob mean in Thai? Is it something like "Like"?
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Cadet silver
    Welcome Chob from another "newbie"

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    Welcome Mr Chob. What does Chob mean in Thai? Is it something like "Like"?
    I believe it is "To Finish" but was not to sure.. "like" is more like Chorp

Quote Originally Posted by G4orce View Post
    I believe it is "To Finish" but was not to sure.. "like" is more like Chorp
    Shouldn't we change the "like" button to "Chorp" then....
    Minder likes this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    WTTB Chob.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Cheers!
    Im based in Phuket and have been in and around Patong for a few years.

Chob, chop , chawp , chorp .... the Thai word for 'like' is what I mean. The problems of transliteration ( converting a language with one set of symbols to another with a different set of symbols ) is immense , and it doesnt really matter how we spell a Thai word as long as the sound is conveyed as closely as possible.

Here is a useful tool I always use.....

thai-language.com - Dictionary ( just punch in the English word in the box top left) Try "like" but only worry about the first few options...

'To finish ' is a very difficult thing to learn in Thai , as they use different words for different 'finishes' , coupled with the word 'laeow'.
    Thus to finish something like say , surfing or strumming a guitar is 'len laeow' ( play already) .
    Other human activities are often 'set laeow' ( inactive already).
    To be full and stop eating is 'Im laeow'' ( belly full already).
    If somethings run out , they say 'mot laeow' ( depleted already ) , you finish your drink and its 'duem laeow' ( drink already) .... Not Easy .
    We just say 'finish' !!!
    justcruzing1 and Spot like this.

I like Chob...

So Thai's are almost American... I finish already... 555

Uber Star Foundation member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน vanguy77's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post

'To finish ' is a very difficult thing to learn in Thai , as they use different words for different 'finishes' , coupled with the word 'laeow'.
    Thus to finish something like say , surfing or strumming a guitar is 'len laeow' ( play already) .
    Other human activities are often 'set laeow' ( inactive already).
    To be full and stop eating is 'Im laeow'' ( belly full already).
    If somethings run out , they say 'mot laeow' ( depleted already ) , you finish your drink and its 'duem laeow' ( drink already) .... Not Easy .
    We just say 'finish' !!!
    Hi Chob and a very bit welcome to TD!

I found the above very interesting. This would seem to explain the Thai girl's overuse of the world "already" which they like to tack on to everything ... "I eat already" ... "I go already" ... "I read already" etc etc etc. I always wondered why that was.

There is another similar explanation I think for their use of the phrase "same same" isn't there? In Thai, for double emphasis, they often just repeat the word ... like "mak" "mak mak" "mak mak mak" etc ...

I will definitely be watching your posts for additional insights such as these into the life and language of Thai girls and their wonderful idiosyncrisies!!
    [SIZE="3"]"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."
    Mark Twain
    [/SIZE]

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Spot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    I like Chob...

So Thai's are almost American... I finish already... 555
    They only land their planes momentarily............?
    Ohhhh, Pigsy! You call yourself a demon? จูบก้นของฉัน Everything I post here is IMHO and IME... I am no expert....

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    WTTB Chob.

I look forward to your input, and to read of your experiences. Your post above about the word finish is very interesting and good to see learning the language thing being raised again.

I hope you enjoy your time here.
    Cheers,
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    WTTB Chob I think your LOS experiences will be very well received here, and any help with language will be a huge bonus to some of us.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Welcome Chob a man with a wealth of knowledge we can all learn from.
    We will all benefit from your input I am sure.

W

Foundation Member Uber Star Norabunga's Avatar
    WTTB Chob. Looking forward to your anecdotes and ramblings.

Welcome Khun Chob ... where's that brother of yours? Still in Patong or tripping around ...
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Quote Originally Posted by vanguy77 View Post
    Hi Chob and a very bit welcome to TD!

I found the above very interesting. This would seem to explain the Thai girl's overuse of the world "already" which they like to tack on to everything ... "I eat already" ... "I go already" ... "I read already" etc etc etc. I always wondered why that was.

There is another similar explanation I think for their use of the phrase "same same" isn't there? In Thai, for double emphasis, they often just repeat the word ... like "mak" "mak mak" "mak mak mak" etc ...

I will definitely be watching your posts for additional insights such as these into the life and language of Thai girls and their wonderful idiosyncrisies!!
    Yes Van , repeating a word gives emphasis , rather like a kid saying, " I like Disneyland very, very much."

And Thai has its easy parts as well.
    Your comment about the heavy use of the word laoew is a case in point.
    Thais speak permanently in the present tense , eg "Chan pbai Phuket" means "I (fem) go Phuket."
    They then demark the past tense by simply adding 'laoew' at the end of a sentence to indicate the subject has happened already. eg. "Chan pbai Phuket leaow " meaning "I go Phuket already."
    To indicate something happening in the future , you listen up for the word "Ja" appearing early in the sentence. So the if the girl says , "Chan ja bpai Phuket " , she is saying , "I will go Phuket."

If only tenses in English were that simple.
    In fact its so easy that we falangs think we must be getting it wrong because the sentence structure is so simple we tend to approach sentence building with the fear that we are missing something. I mean we wouldnt be happy with a sentence like , "I go Phuket."
    In English that is not a sentence. But many Thais would simplify it even further to , "Pbai Phuket " , the 'I' being assumed.
    My tip to anyone learning Thai is to learn first , I (masc and fem) , you ( khun) , we ( raow ) they ( puakow) , he (kow) and she ( ter) and it ( mun).
    Then learn 'doing words' in order of knowing Thais interest areas , ( so eat and sleep before run or swim 555) .
    Then as many nouns ( names of things) as they can.
    Constantly count in Thai.
    Then construct short simple sentences.
    An eg of your conversation after the usual greetings may go .... "I think about you . Today I work. Today cold. Yesterday cold too. Hot Thialand/Buriram or not? I am tired. You tired or not? My children fine. They go school. Children people you go school today? Children people you fine or not ? Tomorrow no work. Tomorrow children me play football. Tomorrow we go restaurant .Tomorrow you do what?.....

We are taught this is a somehow unrewarding way to communicate , but a Thai isnt , and speaking this way is the norm amongst the average folk.
    Last edited by Chob; 24th May 2012 at 15:19.

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Welcome Khun Chob ... where's that brother of yours? Still in Patong or tripping around ...

Still working in Aus Kap and due over next month.

Cadet silver
    Hi Chob,

Where are you based in Patong? Spent much of my time in LOS in Patong and my wife used to live on Phisit Koranee, not far from Monty's. Also have a mate there, English guy has Dirty Nellies on Nanai Rd

Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast