Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: A big hi there from an older newbie

A big hi there from an older newbie

I lived in Bkk 1989-2000 - worked all over Thailand Lao during that time
    89-90 full time AUA thai language student.
    Previously married to a thai for 20 years.
    Two months (Dec-Jan) each year in Bkk keeps my thai language tuned but like to hang out with falang
    I am hoping that participating on this forum can build my circle of friends in Bkk during my annual stays.

See on the forums

Steve
    Spot likes this.
    X|0|0
    0|X|0
    0|0|X...relaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaax

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Welcome to the board Steve make yourself at home.
    I am sure you will find everyone friendly as.

W.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Hi Steve,
    We have member's that come and go thru all of Thai.
    We would love to hear of your experience's in LOS and where you have been, what you found, experienced.
    Photo's are great as well.

I am origionally from Sydney, Northern Beaches, what part are you from?
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

A big hi there from an older newbie
    What? .... you's older than me?

WTTB and hope to see you in CM soon.
    wabbits likes this.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Well its good to get such quick responses. Hi guys!

I 'm from the south of Sydney ( St George Area)

I'm thinking of spending some time in CM this next trip.

A couple of years ago I spent two months driving around the provinces.. stopping in the smaller towns ... hotels are clean safe and cheap, food good, people friendly.... I was going to drive to Mae Hong Son but didn't make it...maybe this next time I will go there.

Haven't been south for a while either though I lived in Prachuap Khiri Khan for a year or so, while on a railway job. (I'm a surveyor). Maybe check out Phuket again....don't want to go too far south though. Maybe Vientienne...haven't been there since '96....used to hang out at the fountain.

Thinking of staying in Bally's at end of Soi 20 Sukhumvit this time.

I like playing pool. spend time at Sportsman's Bar of Washington Square. I've been practicing my snooker back here... hope to have a few more wins when playing those sharp shooting hotties. Hillary 2 in Soi 4 can be fun for this too.

I want to get more into the thai live music scene... as in musicians playing thai music..the melodies get me... i think its the tonal language which causes the melodies to be so different.

Anyway, I'll contribute to a few threads when I think I have something to add... I'll try to keep the cynicism at a healthy very low level because its oh so seductive but pointless and destructive. Still I am impresses by what I read on the threads about night life and romance...there is some wise dudes posting here.

Cheers
    Spot likes this.
    X|0|0
    0|X|0

Although I grew up in Manly Warringah, I have always supported St George. One of our neighbour's cousin was Tommy Ryan who played winger for St G and also Aust. so as a young 5 yr old I had meet someone real important when he visited. 555
    Funny how we chose things.
    I went to school or knew lots of manly's players, Terry Randall, Bozo Fulton, Ian Martin, Dez Hassler etc. But always followed St G.
    It was funny when we would go to a Manly V St G. match at the Sydney Sports ground, if Manly won, I'd make my own way home on bus and ferry, as dad's gloating all the way home in the car was unbearable. If St G won, I was left out of the car as being a traitor, unloyal to our district, so either way I went home by bus and ferry. 555555

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post
    Although I grew up in Manly Warringah, I have always supported St George. One of our neighbour's cousin was Tommy Ryan who played winger for St G and also Aust. so as a young 5 yr old I had meet someone real important when he visited. 555
    Funny how we chose things.
    I went to school or knew lots of manly's players, Terry Randall, Bozo Fulton, Ian Martin, Dez Hassler etc. But always followed St G.
    It was funny when we would go to a Manly V St G. match at the Sydney Sports ground, if Manly won, I'd make my own way home on bus and ferry, as dad's gloating all the way home in the car was unbearable. If St G won, I was left out of the car as being a traitor, unloyal to our district, so either way I went home by bus and ferry. 555555
    Who are these people??? May as well be speaking French! 555
    Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.

Foundation Member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Gazmac's Avatar
    WTTB Steve ! Looks like your fitting in wel already lol

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BangkokSteve View Post
    I want to get more into the thai live music scene... as in musicians playing thai music..the melodies get me... i think its the tonal language which causes the melodies to be so different.
    WTTB Steve. Any recommendation for Thai live music?
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Spot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PatongBeachBoy View Post
    Who are these people??? May as well be speaking French! 555
    China there si more to life than Vfl... 555 When I was a wet back I chose the dragons, when I was a new ****roach in Qld, I was very quietly ST Goerge shhh nt as abd as Rabbitohs are like Collingwood, which I am also. State of Origin? Qld! Real Rugby Reds! that round ball game ????? Take away the goalies and i might think about it...

Oh Shirt, Sorry welcome Stevo... Get your finger out and start posting..... me and daughter and Tw Chiang Mai after Bkk mid dcemeber mid Jan.

Cheers China
    Ohhhh, Pigsy! You call yourself a demon? จูบก้นของฉัน Everything I post here is IMHO and IME... I am no expert....

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    WTTB Steve, looking forward to your input.
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

St George and the silver tails

Heh Justcruzin1 a st george supporter in Manly !!! just like my nephew who grew up in Manly buy barracks for St George as does his father, my brother who of course grew up in St George area... his brother thinks he's mad for not barracking for Manly. A cant remember a Tommy Ryan who played on the wing, but I do remember a Stan Gorton, who all us kids used to mock because he was so gangly.. played about mid 60's. I now live about 100m from Jubilee Oval but I grew up on the banks of the Georges river. The north side of course!

Manly had a good game with the dogs on the weekend-- the Dogs were the better team, slightly..

I actually played soccer in my youth. St George was strong at that at that time tooo....Johnny Warren era.

Cheers
    X|0|0
    0|X|0

Heh Spot

You'll be hangin out in CM eh? i was up there for New Year in 2010-11. I liked it- good temp that time of year too.

I'll be hittin Bkk 2nd Dec . keep in contact. maybe meet up in BKK or in CM. As I said I've been thinkin of drivin the long and windy road to Mae Hong Son. I obviously won't be with the Ex Tw and my 1/2 TD has her own 2 year old daughter to look after these days....gee I'll be on my own....damm! :-)
    Spot likes this.
    X|0|0
    0|X|0

Hi Nomad.

I think the best entry into thai music is to check out the thai music forums on Thailand Forums

from there you can get links to guitar chords and english translations and other stuff

Everything is on You Tube but the trick is you usually have to search in thai

Here is one clever song by the very famous Bird Tongchain McIntyre ( father was scottish) which has some english in it...good thai rap

Search You Tube for Bodyslam or Ebola for soft rock or search for prik thai for the chicks romantic songs

Here is a funny Video Clip from Prik Thai

check out the bathroom scene....lol

I actually like listening to the women singers...

Da Endorphine is a good singer that has a lot of her songs on you tube which are subscripted in latinized thai as well as English translations

Actually quite a lot of the videos have latinized scripted thai subtitles (Kareoke stile) and sometimes even English too

Carabao is a famous rock group. At Carabao is like the Bob Dylan of Thailand,, about as old too.

I've been playing TalayJai on guitar lately

a powerful and beautiful song and lovely chord progressions.. Difficult to translate but here is the best attempt one attempt

Song by Carabao. Translation by Ann Norman using Thai2English.com and lost of help from my foreign exchange student who would like to remain anonymous (in case we're wrong) 5555555.

แม้ชีวิตได้ผ่านเลยวัยแห่งความฝัน
    mae chee-wít dâai pàan loie wai hàeng kwaam făn
    Though [my] life is completely past the age of dreaming
    วันที่ผ่านมาไร้จุดหมาย
    wan têe pàan maa rái jùt măai
    In the days that passed by without aim
    ฉันเรียนรู้เพื่ออยู่เพียงตัวและจิตใจ
    chăn rian róo pêua yòo piang dtua láe jìt jai
    I learned to live only by body and mind [cutting off desire and want]
    เป็นมิตรแท้ที่ดีต่อกัน
    bpen mít táe têe dee dtòr gan
    Being best freinds with each other. [It’s the body and mind being best friends with each other]

เหมือนชีวิตผันผ่านคืนวันอันเปลี่ยวเหงา
    muan chee-wít păn pàan keun wan an bplìeow ngăo
    Like life goes by day and night, lonely and desolate
    ตัวเป็นของเราใจของใคร
    dtua bpen kŏng rao jai kŏng krai
    The body is ours, the heart is whose?
    มีชีวิตเพื่อสู้คืนวันอันโหดร้าย
    mee chee-wít pêua sôo keun wan an hòht ráai
    Have life for cruel fighting the cruel day and night.
    คืนที่ตัวกับใจไม่ตรงกัน
    keun têe dtua gàp jai mâi dtrong gan
    The night that the body and mind are not the same
    คืนนั้นคืนไหน ใจแพ้ตัว
    keun nán keun năi jai páe dtua
    That night is the night that the heart defeats itself
    คืนและวันอันน่ากลัวตัวแพ้ใจ
    keun láe wan an nâa glua dtua páe jai
    Night and day is scary, one is defeated
    ท่ามกลางแสงสีศิวิไลซ์
    tâam-glaang săeng sĕe sì-wí-lai
    Amidst the city lights [amidst the color of the lights of civilization] [sĕe sì-wí-lai = civilization]
    อาจหลงทางไปไม่ยากเย็น
    àat lŏng taang bpai mâi yâak yen
    Getting lost is not difficult.

คืนนั้นคืนไหน ใจเพ้อฝัน
    keun nán keun năi jai pér făn
    That night is the night in which the fanciful heart
    คืนและวันฝันไปไกลลิบโลก
    keun láe wan făn bpai glai líp lôhk
    Always daydreaming, far away, leaves Earth
    ดั่งนกน้อยลิ่วล่องลอยแรงลมโบก
    dàng nók nói lîw lông loi raeng lom bòhk
    As if a small bird drifts and bobs, blown by the wind
    พออับโชคตกลงกลางทะเลใจ
    por àp chôhk dtòk long glaang tá-lay jai
    Unfortunately falls into the center of the sea of the heart [Telay Jai, the title of the song]

ทุกชีวิตดิ้นรนค้นหาแต่จุดหมาย
    túk chee-wít dîn ron kón hăa dtàe jùt măai
    Every life struggles, people search only for a purpose
    ใจในร่างกายกลับไม่เจอ
    jai nai râang gaai glàp mâi jer
    The spirit in the body can’t be found [doing things automatically without your mind]
    ทุกข์ที่เกิดซ้ำ เพราะใจนำพร่ำเพ้อ
    túk têe gèrt sám prór jai nam prâm pér
    The suffering repeats because of the delirious heart
    หาหัวใจให้เจอก็เป็นสุข
    hăa hŭa jai hâi jer gôr bpen sùk
    Search for (your own) heart so you can meet it and be happy.

คืนนั้นคืนไหน ใจแพ้ตัว
    keun nán keun năi jai páe dtua
    That night is the night that the heart defeats itself
    คืนและวันอันน่ากลัวตัวแพ้ใจ
    keun láe wan an nâa glua dtua páe jai
    Night and day is scary, one is defeated.

I also like a brother duo called อัสนี-วสันต์ โชติกุล translates as Asinee and Wasan Chortikhun) who were big in the 80-90s

Here is a good song by them

The music scene is bid and varied.

The tv stations hold these huge free concerts on the outskirts of Bkk every saturday arvo - evening - I am goinf to start checking these out more. Also some of the more jazz oriented female singers who have a sort of jazz/pop band backing them... like Prik Thai... it help if you khow someone- ( a thai ) who is into it.

Still the Western music live scene is pretty good too and some bands mix it up ... the band that played at Climax ( ambassador hotel night club soi 13) last January did that that... The band at Hillary 2 on Soi 4 were OK too....

Then of course there is the imported bands such as those that play at places like Spasso ( erawan hotel) but dammed expensive booz... a bit too Hi So for me too

Anyway thats enough for this thread eh!!!

Cheers
    Spot and Nomad like this.
    X|0|0
    0|X|0

[QUOTE=

I actually played soccer in my youth. St George was strong at that at that time tooo....Johnny Warren era.

Cheers[/QUOTE]

I played Soccer from under 5's till I was 22. Johnny Waren was a hero and the first Ausie to break into the top side of English football.
    When I was growing up, we had a coach that had coached Manchester United, god what that guy didn't know about the game and planned move's.

One I remember the most, was taking a throwin in the oponents quarter, we had to put on a show, I would come to take the ball off the player about to throw the ball, we would argue, got the oppersition relaxed, then when I walked away, he threw the ball into my back, this disorentated the oponents, and had the ball back at his feet to kick to the CF in the front of the box.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Hey Steve , and welcome.
    Theres a bit of a character down here in Phuket at Surin Beach called 'Diver' .... he had a beach bar there till recently , lotsa pleasant arvos in mixed company was had.
    Hes been here 10 years plus , and is a massive Saints fan and ex local.
    Worth looking up if your ever down this way.

It seems as though youre pretty fluent in Thai already?

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    one of my favourite Thai songs. Carabao-Made in Thailand. great guitar riff

Yes Bacwaan,

Made in Thailand is Carabao'sr signature for us falang eh!

My son used to sing it as a kid he loved signing the phrase "I love thailand I love patpong" but his mum taught him to sing "patong" not patpong"...cute eh.

He is now a 20 yr old belligerent lost and confused pain in the arse who has visions of being famous as a music producer... parenthood gee its wonderful....but that is a story for another time

he latched onto
    X|0|0
    0|X|0

Hi Chob

Thanks I'll check him out if I get down there.. such residents are often very interestuing and colourful people

I see you are quite a prolific poster. Where do do live? Oz or Thai
    X|0|0
    0|X|0

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    WTTB Bangkok Steve, I have a thread in the Board Member section "Things aint what they used to be" about then and now in Thailand, looks like you could have a bit to say about that.......keep posting.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast