Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new ride

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน

My new ride

I'm happy with my new ride in Canada... a 650 Suzuki V-Strom adventure model, with extras. It has more power than I'll ever need and cruises like a dream. It means I might make it off the island where I live more often. That is the one thing that was holding me back previously. Ferry line-ups in the summer meant leaving home at least 4 hours before sailing just to be assured of getting on. Now with a motorbike I'll go to the head of the line. I just won't be able to ride it like I do with my bike in Thailand. Unlike Thailand, in Canada they actually have rules of behaviour. At least I won't have to look out for missing portions of the highway and a constant stream of vehicles coming at me in my lane.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Nice one Ian.. Many happy miles...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Talk about living the dream!! Love the bike Ian.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน 1080's Avatar
    Very capable all-rounder from what I can gather from an article I have just finished. And this was written by a Lady rider who travelled from Sydney to the Northern Territory via the Birdsville Track and the Flinders Ranges. Should be able to find that route on Google Ian.
    I ride a Ducati S2R 1000 Monster and have a 250XR Honda for the bush

Cadet Bronze
    Nice bike, stay upright

In Thailand I've got a choice of several "rides"... Unfortunately, I have to leave them behind for 7 months.

In Mongolia I only have ONE ride... and it's much slower and rougher.

And there are valid reasons for coming to Thailand for the winter rather than being a Canadian rider in January.

Last edited by Ian Forbes; 4th April 2013 at 16:01.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน 1080's Avatar
    The Thai rides look very nice 55..........

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Rockitt's Avatar
    Canada in January is not for me but your Thailand rides look good. Have fun on your new ride.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    The V Srom 1000 wasn`t that popular but the 650 seems to be more like what the market wants.

Richard,a guy we met in Nan who rode his from Europe to SE Asia Travelling Strom
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

One thing I WON'T be doing on the V-Strom is taking it places where I easily take my D-Tracker in Thailand. The D-Tracker is light and low geared. It does fairly well on the rough trails. As I found out yesterday the V-Strom is a little high geared for slow riding on trails. But, it will be great on highways and gravel roads.

I have a little Honda 90 trail bike for that in Canada. It's a 1973 and runs like a top. The low range gearing allows you to creep along without having to brake.

We've got thousands of miles of logging roads on Vancouver Island, and many are behind locked gates (even though it is public land). The little trail bike is excellent for exploring gravel roads, but it's top speed is no good for highways. But, I can easily run it into the back of my truck along with my raft or canoe when I go on a river drift. I drop the truck off at the take-out and ride back on my bike to the put-in where I start my drift. I get to see a LOT of country I wouldn't otherwise see.

The fishing ain't half bad, either.

OK so now I am officially jealous. Not of your new D650 nor your D Tracker but the 90 Trail. What a little classic. I would love one, but they are extremely hard to find here in SA.

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    Nice bike Ian, youve certainly got a few options now on which bike to ride.

Regards your little Honda, low gearing and low centre of gravity = good slow speed climbing ability.
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

I'm not much of a 'bike' man Ian but I do envy your fishing trips mate ........555
    All who wander are not lost

Quote Originally Posted by PeteGill View Post
    OK so now I am officially jealous. Not of your new D650 nor your D Tracker but the 90 Trail. What a little classic. I would love one, but they are extremely hard to find here in SA.
    Me too, a bit. You can keep your big bike, but machines like the little CT 90 really are useful to get places. The first motorcycle I rode was a CT 90, and I have used several over the years.

Foundation Member Uber Star Norabunga's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteGill View Post
    You need to import one from Australia Pete. The place is crawling with CT110s. There are thousands of them. They're used as postal delivery bikes and there are heaps of them on the second hand market.

Postie bike challenge

After riding my 250 Kawasaki D-Tracker all over Thailand I've fallen in love with biking again. Of course, the constant sunshine is the big plus for bike riding. On the wet coast of BC we really only get 2 months of sunshine and warm weather. Riding in the rain can be done, but it's not that pleasant. That is why I had almost given up riding until I came to Thailand and remembered what it was like. However, a 250 is a bit under powered for Canadian highways where the average speed is from 90 to 120. If you are going up hill it doesn't leave you much extra to pass slow moving vehicles. In Thailand there is seldom anywhere that you can safely ride much over 100 Km/hr. There are just too many strange things to watch out for, and not the least is crazy Thai drivers in vans or trucks who think they can drive them like they are riding a motorbike. A big bike in Thailand is a bit of a waste and not as agile in the city traffic where most of us do 90% of our riding.

^ there`s plenty of good rural roads around the north of LOS that you can "feel the power" of a big bike. Around Nan is fantastic,very little traffic and civilisation.

Quote Originally Posted by Norabunga View Post
    You need to import one from Australia Pete. The place is crawling with CT110s. There are thousands of them. They're used as postal delivery bikes and there are heaps of them on the second hand market.

Postie bike challenge
    I know, sadly the import duty and transportation costs would be just too much...
    Do Honda still build them?

^ Tiger do...

A guy on another forum i`m on recently rode one up from BKK and around the north and back.

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    ^ there`s plenty of good rural roads around the north of LOS that you can "feel the power" of a big bike. Around Nan is fantastic,very little traffic and civilisation.
    I'm well aware of the Nan area, and loved it. And, I keep finding new places to explore between the city and the Laos border. I've got some great video I took while riding my motorbike on those twisty roads. I'll make report on it when I get settled here at home.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast