Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 70
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 1st timer coming to LOS for a month+

  1. #1
    Cadet Bronze WoodyTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    51

    1st timer coming to LOS for a month+

    What's up Thai Dreamers? I stumbled on this forum and decided to register after several hours of thread-browsing, you all seem like a cool group. Anyway, I'll be flying into BKK 1/15-2/18 and don't have much of an agenda at this point other than to relax and see some sights. I thought I'd be good for 60 days on a tourist Visa, but apparently I misread the embassy page and this forum has already taught me about the extension fees haha.

    About me: I'm a 31 year old who decided to ditch my cubicle in Austin TX in favor of some adventure in China. I've been 'teaching English' since October and am looking forward to this break! I'll be traveling solo, so if any of you guys are interested in showing me the ropes and having some drinks give me a shout.

  2. #2
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    15,199
    WTTB Woody... Any thoughts of places within LOS that you would like to visit?

  3. #3
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nubbins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,900
    Hey Woody! Where in China are you based?

    If you make it down to Phuket, there are quite a few BMs here to catch up with for a drink.

  4. #4
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Frithco
    Posts
    10,133
    That's awesome Woody. I took my first trip in 2006 and have been an annual visitor since. If you post your itinerary I'm sure you will overlap with some BMs that would meet up for a drink or two. Let the good times roll...
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

  5. #5
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    20,696
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodyTX View Post
    What's up Thai Dreamers? I stumbled on this forum and decided to register after several hours of thread-browsing, you all seem like a cool group. Anyway, I'll be flying into BKK 1/15-2/18 and don't have much of an agenda at this point other than to relax and see some sights. I thought I'd be good for 60 days on a tourist Visa, but apparently I misread the embassy page and this forum has already taught me about the extension fees haha.

    About me: I'm a 31 year old who decided to ditch my cubicle in Austin TX in favor of some adventure in China. I've been 'teaching English' since October and am looking forward to this break! I'll be traveling solo, so if any of you guys are interested in showing me the ropes and having some drinks give me a shout.
    been working a whole 3 months for that break, hey 555

    congrats on the move and that is a nice long holiday you have there
    just ask away and someone will help ya

  6. #6
    Platinum billpay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    560
    Good for you....you're a lucky guy....one month on your first visit. You'll have a great time, I'm sure. You will have the advantage of learning some of the ropes ahead of time. My first time here in the 90's, I did not know a thing and had to get by with trial and error.

  7. #7
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Nth Brisbane Qld Aust.
    Posts
    12,817
    Welcome Woody.
    31, single and over a month in LOS??? What a life!!!!
    Be warned, it is very addictive..55555

    perscription for Thai addiction....take 1 ST(short Time) BG (Bar girl) 3 times a day or 2 x 2 LT ( Long Time) BG's once a day and no, you can't claim on your medical travel insurance.

    Post some more and you'll find lots of good info and advise.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

  8. #8
    เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Chiang Rai
    Posts
    7,323
    Welcome Woody and im sure you will enjoy your first trip to LOS.
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

  9. #9
    RIP Cilla (Craig) Platinum Cilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    922
    WTTB Woody, 1st time in LOS cannot be learned only experienced

  10. #10
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Age
    50
    Posts
    3,962
    WTTB Woody where in China are you? How do you find teaching English? Good luck to you to get a break so early.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 
      
       
       
         
       
      
     

  11. #11
    Cadet Bronze WoodyTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    51
    Thanks for the warm welcome! I hope to get plans a little more firmed up in the next week or so, but to answer some questions...

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteGill View Post
    WTTB Woody... Any thoughts of places within LOS that you would like to visit?
    So much to choose from! I might spend a few days in BK and work my way up to Chang Mai, then back down to Kanchanaburi before heading to the southern beaches like Ko Tao, Krabi, Ko Phi Phi Phuket, etc. I'm SCUBA certified but it's been almost 10 years since my last open water dive. Not sure how much I'll be able to squeeze in as I do want to booze it up and explore the bars too. Pattaya looks like a trip, and the threads here have been entertaining. I might skip the north altogether this trip, but we'll see. I'm pretty sure I'll stay in Thailand the whole time and save the surrounding countries for another trip.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nubbins View Post
    Hey Woody! Where in China are you based? If you make it down to Phuket, there are quite a few BMs here to catch up with for a drink.
    I'm about 20 minutes outside of Chengdu, Sichuan province.

    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    been working a whole 3 months for that break, hey 555
    Haha yeah, but you must know how we do our vacations in the states. It's been over 15 years since I had a vacation this long! Plus I was working full time up until about a week before I actually made the move. It was a scramble to say the least.

    Quote Originally Posted by jontymate View Post
    WTTB Woody where in China are you? How do you find teaching English? Good luck to you to get a break so early.
    See above for location. The teaching has been more challenging than expected. I work for a small private college and I overestimated the student's English abilities by a mile. I've never taught before so I hope to use some of the relaxation time to re-think strategies for next semester. The nice thing is I teach 7-8 classes which makes for a very laid back work week. Much better than toiling away in the cubicle, and even though I don't get paid near what I used to, the town I'm in is so small that I can barely spend a fraction of my paycheck.

  12. #12
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Age
    50
    Posts
    3,962
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodyTX View Post
    Thanks for the warm welcome! I hope to get plans a little more firmed up in the next week or so, but to answer some questions...


    So much to choose from! I might spend a few days in BK and work my way up to Chang Mai, then back down to Kanchanaburi before heading to the southern beaches like Ko Tao, Krabi, Ko Phi Phi Phuket, etc. I'm SCUBA certified but it's been almost 10 years since my last open water dive. Not sure how much I'll be able to squeeze in as I do want to booze it up and explore the bars too. Pattaya looks like a trip, and the threads here have been entertaining. I might skip the north altogether this trip, but we'll see. I'm pretty sure I'll stay in Thailand the whole time and save the surrounding countries for another trip.


    I'm about 20 minutes outside of Chengdu, Sichuan province.


    Haha yeah, but you must know how we do our vacations in the states. It's been over 15 years since I had a vacation this long! Plus I was working full time up until about a week before I actually made the move. It was a scramble to say the least.


    See above for location. The teaching has been more challenging than expected. I work for a small private college and I overestimated the student's English abilities by a mile. I've never taught before so I hope to use some of the relaxation time to re-think strategies for next semester. The nice thing is I teach 7-8 classes which makes for a very laid back work week. Much better than toiling away in the cubicle, and even though I don't get paid near what I used to, the town I'm in is so small that I can barely spend a fraction of my paycheck.
    Spending a fraction of your pay wow what a great deal you have. Do you get paid in USD or RMB?
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 
      
       
       
         
       
      
     

  13. #13
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    13,431
    WTTB Woody , enjoy your time in LOS

  14. #14
    Cadet Bronze WoodyTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    51
    So last night I was browsing after having registered, but before my account was actually activated. I could read the 'member forums' but now I can't seem to find them? I saw references to LVL 2 and 3, do I have to hit a certain post count or something? Bah if so!

    Quote Originally Posted by jontymate View Post
    Spending a fraction of your pay wow what a great deal you have. Do you get paid in USD or RMB?
    RMB. It's cool, but there's practically nothing to do here in terms of nightlife and socializing. I've seen maybe 1-2 foreigners off campus since I've been here. Not quite what I was expecting, but not the worst place to start either.

  15. #15
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nubbins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,900
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodyTX View Post
    I'm about 20 minutes outside of Chengdu, Sichuan province.
    Ooh Chengdu would be chilly at this time of the year. You'll appreciate the warmer Thailand weather when you get here.

  16. #16
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    15,199
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodyTX View Post
    So last night I was browsing after having registered, but before my account was actually activated. I could read the 'member forums' but now I can't seem to find them? I saw references to LVL 2 and 3, do I have to hit a certain post count or something? Bah if so!



    RMB. It's cool, but there's practically nothing to do here in terms of nightlife and socializing. I've seen maybe 1-2 foreigners off campus since I've been here. Not quite what I was expecting, but not the worst place to start either.
    Post a bit and things will soon enough open up for you...

  17. #17
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    lOZt
    Posts
    2,630
    WTTB WTX. I know you haven't asked for advice, but a suggestion...don't try to cram too many locations into the trip. If you like the place, then you will be back soon enough. If you enjoy the night life and beautiful Thai women, then a bit of extra time in each location can have some good rewards.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

  18. #18
    Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Samui
    Posts
    8,978
    personally I would give Koh Tao a miss atm...it's out of season for diving and the winds + seas have been up here (I am nearby on Samui) causing the water quality/viz to be well down....and the joint is crowded our with tourists with hardly a Thai to be seen...more Burmese than Thais on the island these days

    Diving out in Phangna Bay off Phuket and Phi Phi should be much more rewarding atm...better still get yourself out to the Similan Islands for the best diving Thailand has to offer at this time of the year

    agree with Nomad...don't try to see everything in one visit....BKK/Chiang Mai/Phuket/Phi Phi/ Krabi is more than enough in 5-6 weeks

  19. #19
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cippy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    LOEI
    Posts
    3,654
    Oh how exciting! Woody I chronicled my first visit on a forum many member here where a part of (now gone). It would be great to hear about your first go. Especially in real time. I landed a year and a half ago . . . still here. 555
    Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. M.T.

  20. #20
    Cadet Bronze WoodyTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubbins View Post
    Ooh Chengdu would be chilly at this time of the year. You'll appreciate the warmer Thailand weather when you get here.
    Yeah it's freaking cold right now, and coming from TX I don't have the warmest gear. Do I even need a light jacket for the trip? Forecast said mid 70's in LOS @ night.

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteGill View Post
    Post a bit and things will soon enough open up for you...
    Hopefully sooner than later..crucial info!

    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    WTTB WTX. I know you haven't asked for advice, but a suggestion...don't try to cram too many locations into the trip. If you like the place, then you will be back soon enough. If you enjoy the night life and beautiful Thai women, then a bit of extra time in each location can have some good rewards.
    I agree...a month seems like a lot of time but I'm sure it'll fly by.

    Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    personally I would give Koh Tao a miss atm...it's out of season for diving and the winds + seas have been up here (I am nearby on Samui) causing the water quality/viz to be well down....and the joint is crowded our with tourists with hardly a Thai to be seen...more Burmese than Thais on the island these days

    Diving out in Phangna Bay off Phuket and Phi Phi should be much more rewarding atm...better still get yourself out to the Similan Islands for the best diving Thailand has to offer at this time of the year

    agree with Nomad...don't try to see everything in one visit....BKK/Chiang Mai/Phuket/Phi Phi/ Krabi is more than enough in 5-6 weeks
    Thanks for the head's up...much appreciated.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •