• 1 Post By Cippy
  • 1 Post By Mate
  • 1 Post By OZZYGUY
  • 1 Post By Moo Uaon
  • 3 Post By Stillearly
  • 1 Post By bacwaan

Thread: Best Location For Songkran

Best Location For Songkran

Hey everyone - trying to pick the best spot to celebrate and photograph Songkran this year. I've been through one Songkran in the past, in Phuket. Was thinking about Chiang Mai for this trip. From your perspective, where is the best place to celebrate Songkran?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cippy's Avatar
    The wildest I have ever seen it was well away from tourists. Downtown Loei were I live was insane, huge street party. People brought water pumps from the farm that could pump enough water to knock someone off their motorbike. They add ice to their water buckets and dance all day.

My wife wouldn't let me go anywhere with out her, which I thought was silly. When I finally did make a run to 7/11 I found out why. I was hit on by every women between the age of 12 to 60! While this is normal here where only expats go and usually only if their wife/gf is from the area, this was off the hook. Some ladies tried to drag me over for a drink or to fondle the farang. 555

Probably doesn't answer your question since you probably want a more touristy local. But, my perspective is if you ventured into some places where the extent of the English is: "Hello farang! I love you!" you will be in for a wild ride. 555 Villages and Issan cities like mine have a noticeable population boost because all the itinerant workers are taking a break from their jobs at the factory and the in the tourist trade or bars and go home for the the holidays.
    Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. M.T.

Quote Originally Posted by Cippy View Post
    The wildest I have ever seen it was well away from tourists. Downtown Loei were I live was insane, huge street party. People brought water pumps from the farm that could pump enough water to knock someone off their motorbike. They add ice to their water buckets and dance all day.

My wife wouldn't let me go anywhere with out her, which I thought was silly. When I finally did make a run to 7/11 I found out why. I was hit on by every women between the age of 12 to 60! While this is normal here where only expats go and usually only if their wife/gf is from the area, this was off the hook. Some ladies tried to drag me over for a drink or to fondle the farang. 555

Probably doesn't answer your question since you probably want a more touristy local. But, my perspective is if you ventured into some places where the extent of the English is: "Hello farang! I love you!" you will be in for a wild ride. 555 Villages and Issan cities like mine have a noticeable population boost because all the itinerant workers are taking a break from their jobs at the factory and the in the tourist trade or bars and go home for the the holidays.
    Thanks, Cippy! Great answer. Not necessarily looking for touristy, just the best spot to celebrate. I'll definitely look into Loei - thanks for your response - looks like a good time! Cheers -

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Pattaya is probably the biggest , starts 12th with the big day on the 19th , Samui is small but fun just one day on the 13th
    Bacon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    Pattaya is probably the biggest , starts 12th with the big day on the 19th , Samui is small but fun just one day on the 13th
    Thanks, Still. Will keep this in mind, never been to Patts - looking forward to it. Cheers!

The wife tells me to check our Khao San rd in BKK is well known spot for SongKhran Shenanigans. Although she can tell me where in bkk that is. 555
    Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. M.T.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    best spot is probably determined by how long you can tolerate getting soaked.

2 days in phuket
    a couple of weeks in pats.
    4-5 days in CM

up to you in the end.

i don't mind getting amongst it for a couple of days and that's enough...so phuket would be the best for me.
    Changone likes this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    best spot is probably determined by how long you can tolerate getting soaked.

2 days in phuket
    a couple of weeks in pats.
    4-5 days in CM

up to you in the end.

i don't mind getting amongst it for a couple of days and that's enough...so phuket would be the best for me.
    Thanks, Moo. I don't think Phuket is in the plans this time, but CM and Patts might be. Thanks for your thoughts. Cheers -

I liked Songkran in Patong - was just about the right amount and length for me, but seemed to have more idiots (farangs). Pattaya was too much/too long for me but it felt more local, and IMO the age of tourists is higher and therefore more sensible people. From a photographer's point of view, Pattaya would definitely be the best of those two.

Quote Originally Posted by NeedHoliday View Post
    I liked Songkran in Patong - was just about the right amount and length for me, but seemed to have more idiots (farangs). Pattaya was too much/too long for me but it felt more local, and IMO the age of tourists is higher and therefore more sensible people. From a photographer's point of view, Pattaya would definitely be the best of those two.
    Thanks, NH. I really enjoyed the one Songkran I spent in Patong, as well, but your points about Pattaya are well taken. I imagine that's where I'll end up, although if I have enough time I may head up to CM as I've never been there and I've heard so many amazing things about the north - would love to check it out.

Book ahead, like I said, Thais are on the move to see their family and tourist love the holiday. Maybe not this year, but better safe . . .
    VanD likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cippy View Post
    Book ahead, like I said, Thais are on the move to see their family and tourist love the holiday. Maybe not this year, but better safe . . .
    Good advice, for sure. My schedule is a bit up in the air as I am waiting on some last minute details on the work side of things, but will certainly book as early as I can.

Chiang Mai is good
    VanD likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    I will be in CM again this year. One day is enough for me but I'm taking my 13 year old son again and he loved it last year. We are travelling with another BM and his family this trip and his son is same age..

Its also my new lady's first time to LOS (she is Fillo)
    VanD likes this.

In the Baan (I live in a small Thai village) the kids like to "play water" two days early and loathe to give up the game before the holiday is expired for a day or two. 555

Not a big deal for us cause we are in a car, but no one on a motorbike shows up anywhere dry for a solid week. 555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    here's a vid from loy kratong in loei...

Last edited by Moo Uaon; 7th March 2015 at 09:18.
    VanD likes this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VanD View Post
    Thanks, NH. I really enjoyed the one Songkran I spent in Patong, as well, but your points about Pattaya are well taken. I imagine that's where I'll end up, although if I have enough time I may head up to CM as I've never been there and I've heard so many amazing things about the north - would love to check it out.
    Do both , have Songkran in CM or elsewhere and head to Patts on the 18th to enjoy the last day on the 19th
    OZZYGUY, TMTBOUND and VanD like this.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    ^ Its long enough in places so you could actually do a Songkran Tour...Samui or Phuket 13-14th....Chiang Mai 15-16th....Pattaya to finish 17-18th...
    VanD likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    Do both , have Songkran in CM or elsewhere and head to Patts on the 18th to enjoy the last day on the 19th
    Thanks, Still! Love this idea - if my schedule works out I think this might be the winning plan. Cheers!

Newby
    Pattaya is one of the wildest, every year 13. april to 19. april (the biggest and last day), very hard 6 days.
    Chiang Mai is a culture songkran, nice.
    Samui is 12. april and 13. april, funny.
    Phuket is 12. april and 13. april, big fun and a lot of water.

Put your camera in a plastic bag, because some stupid tourist like to put water on your camera! )