Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Hi, a long time coming

Hi, a long time coming

Hi all,

I knew about this forum around about when it first started and was invited by a few BM's to join. For some reason I never got around to it; but here I am now and probably about time.

I know a few of you from my 3 and 6 month stays in Phuket a few years ago prior to retiring here, this should be a good way to stay in touch. I am now living full time in Pasang, Lamphun and will be here for a long time, I hope. Presently I am about to start building a house.

Best regards.
    Nomad, OZZYGUY, Hatari and 1 others like this.

Better late than never! Welcome Dave.
    Get cracking on making as many posts as possible ... answer or add to any subject in any thread to get your post count up.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    WTTB Retdent ... whats 5 years between friends ...5555 ... a few house building threads on this forum that might interest you if you haven't already seen
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum, looking forward to your input.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    a long time coming

been there done that

wttb
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    WTTB look forward to your input
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Cadet silver
    A long time comming, thats what Ann says about me. Welcome ALTC

Thanks for the welcome and I recognise a name or two, a good start. As far as a long time coming, I figure if you put the work in, there is no point of being in a rush, enjoy and make the best of it.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star TMTBOUND's Avatar
    welcome man......

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retdent View Post
    Hi...a long time coming
    Welcome retdent. You must be popular with the ladies.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    WTTB Retdent looking forward to your in put

Foundation Member Uber Star Norabunga's Avatar
    WTTB retdent

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Wlcome mate. Enjoy.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    WTTB Retdent
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    I suspect retdent=retired dentist
    retdent likes this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Considering that you are ALSO an angler, you can't be all bad... unless you are fishing my favourite spots... then that's a no, no.

Hi Ian, (and others I maynot have thanked),

Anglers are a funny bunch, most of us love taking othes fishing but hate taking them to our favourite spots. I suppose that is because in many cases we have spent many hours/days/months doing the ground work and have worked out when, what to use , times, etc., etc. Always good to see a smile on a newby's face, especially a kid.

My fishing mate back home was firey at the airport and I had my own practice. For years, I would check his roster out and on his days off I would cross off the appointment book; FISHING. We had the trout worked out and always had heaps of fish, but we were at it all the time. In the last few years before retiring here, I just crossed off Friday afternoons, went up to the lakes and came home Sunday. Sadly, trout fishing in Tassie has dropped off. I think it is due to mismanagement by Fisheries and too many young university graduates have taken the place of the old, now retired guys who were feet on the ground. In one intance I know of a father and son. The younger retired at about 65. So much irreplaceable practical knowledge gone and the young one's knew it all; lost forever. Academics do not know everything

Gee, I hope you are not a retired Professor Ian, you come across as very knowledgeable but super practical at the same time; just as it should be. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by retdent View Post
    Hi Ian, (and others I maynot have thanked),

Anglers are a funny bunch, most of us love taking othes fishing but hate taking them to our favourite spots. I suppose that is because in many cases we have spent many hours/days/months doing the ground work and have worked out when, what to use , times, etc., etc. Always good to see a smile on a newby's face, especially a kid.

My fishing mate back home was firey at the airport and I had my own practice. For years, I would check his roster out and on his days off I would cross off the appointment book; FISHING. We had the trout worked out and always had heaps of fish, but we were at it all the time. In the last few years before retiring here, I just crossed off Friday afternoons, went up to the lakes and came home Sunday. Sadly, trout fishing in Tassie has dropped off. I think it is due to mismanagement by Fisheries and too many young university graduates have taken the place of the old, now retired guys who were feet on the ground. In one intance I know of a father and son. The younger retired at about 65. So much irreplaceable practical knowledge gone and the young one's knew it all; lost forever. Academics do not know everything

Gee, I hope you are not a retired Professor Ian, you come across as very knowledgeable but super practical at the same time; just as it should be. Thanks again.
    My whole life has been devoted to fishing, and writing about it. I've spent a good deal of time fishing the lakes and streams in Tasmania because my first wife was from Launceston. Her father was a church minister but he loved trout fishing. We used to camp on the George River in eastern Tassy and fish for Brown trout. I got to know that stream quite well. I also fished the Derwent, the Break-o-day, Brumby's weir, Macquarie River, Mersey River and some of the highland lakes: Lake Pedder, Lake Rowallan, Lake St Clair and some smaller lakes I can't remember the names of. I caught trout in all of them and had some great adventures.

I lived in Evandale from '82 until "14, when I came here. Worked in Launceston. I fished mainly the highland lakes but also the South Esk near home. Sea fishing on the East Coast was pretty good too. Flathead by the garbage bin, until bag limits came in, tuna, crayfish. We really had it all.

The old fisheries guy's I was referring to, were Viv Spencer and his dad, perhaps you knew of them, Viv ended up in prosecutions but preferred being in the field. These were practical people. When I first moved to Tassie, I became acquainted with a well known family from the Liffey. Twice a year the family group, males, upon the spawning run (browns and rainbows), would make a pilgramage upto the Great Lake to the spawning streams and grab a few and then trek down the mountain back home. Almost on que the senior Spencer would rock up at the dairy the following week and ask how they got on, as if to check they had a feed. No harm done and all parties happy. I have many tales of that time, it is almost as if it was a game between Fisheries and the old bush mountain men.
    Ian Forbes likes this.

Me on the Break-O-Day with a nice Brown in 1969

Leven River

Macquarie River

Brumby's Creek had great mayfly hatches. Sometimes they hatched so thick all you could do was watch, and trout rising everywhere.

Arthur's lake

Cradle mountain

Pedder Lake

George River valley where Charlie (Wife's father) and I used to camp

The Mersey River was a lovely trout stream and I never got tired fishing it.

I had LOTS of experiences with Tiger snakes and Browns. I was bitten on the instep once, but I was wearing waders and the fangs only scratched my skin. A girl we were hiking with died from a Tiger snake biting her in the crotch when she went for a pee. She wouldn't let any of us males try to draw out the venom and she died after we got her back to the hospital. That was one of the more unpleasant events in my life.
    Rivo and obes like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast