Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: Just booked tickets to thailand for 21 nights, what nooow?

Cadet

Just booked tickets to thailand for 21 nights, what nooow?

Still can't believe I booked it for December, my friends kind of cancelled out, maybe one is still coming for a couple weeks, where do I start?

Landing in bangkok, planning to head north towards chiang mai, would like to hop on a flight to phuket for $63, hang around the islands for a few days, and choose another country or two that's easy to get to from around phuket. When/if my friend leaves I'll have a week by myself where I'm planning to mostly lay like a beached whale along some nice resort read some books eat some more good food and gladly stay disconnected from the world, not sure in which country, yet.

What are the best neighboring countries to visit?

I believe as of today Vietnam is charging $200 for a visa, so thats out of the question.
    Quarky likes this.

Vn visa is not $200. IIRC it's about $25 plus the pre-approval fee of $20.

Good idea to tell us a bit about yourself, age and what you want to do or see in Th.

VietJet and AirAsia have some excellent deals for internal and international connections. VietJet have announced a direct BKK > Hai Phong (Halong Bay) route and AirAsia offer an ASEAN pass which could suit your budget.

If I were you, Bangkok deserves a week - many parts worth exploring. Koh Samui for island experience or Phuket/Patong/Summer Breeze Hotel for a fun time. Consider a Siem Reap/Angkor Wat visit and Halong Bay if cruising is of interest, otherwise Hanoi old city is a fun and interesting place to spend a few days.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Vn visa is not $200. IIRC it's about $25 plus the pre-approval fee of $20.

Good idea to tell us a bit about yourself, age and what you want to do or see in Th.

VietJet and AirAsia have some excellent deals for internal and international connections. VietJet have announced a direct BKK > Hai Phong (Halong Bay) route and AirAsia offer an ASEAN pass which could suit your budget.

If I were you, Bangkok deserves a week - many parts worth exploring. Koh Samui for island experience or Phuket/Patong/Summer Breeze Hotel for a fun time. Consider a Siem Reap/Angkor Wat visit and Halong Bay if cruising is of interest, otherwise Hanoi old city is a fun and interesting place to spend a few days.
    Bangkok is one of my top 10 favorite cities in the world.... Maybe even top 5
    But I think it grows on you.....I would not have enjoyed a week in BKK my 1st trip
    3-4 days is sufficient for a new visitor, IMO

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Like KaptainRob said, we should need to know a little about you before we start making recommendations. M26 and I are poles apart on what we would usually choose, and the price we pay for accommodation.

Bangkok is a HUGE city that seems made up of a bunch of smaller cities all mashed together. Unless you've been to Asia before it will be a bit of a culture shock to you... even with lots of first hand advice. The traffic alone is amazing.

In Bangkok there are a few things you really should see: The Kings palace (long pants dress code needed), Wat Arun (Temple of dawn - Wat means temple) on the river, a long tail boat cruise up the various klongs (side river channels to a main river - Chao Phraya), the Chatuchak market, and possibly the night scene at Soi Cowboy and Nana Plaza on Sukhumvit Road.

You SHOULD know something about where you want to go and how you want to get there. There are busses, a sky train, taxis and motor scooters that will guide you through the city. You should know the approximate costs or you will get ripped off. For parts of the city the sky train is quickest and fastest. Busses and taxis stuck in traffic can be slow. Always insist on a meter taxi unless you know the normal cost between points A and B. Don't let the touts in the airport convince you to take their private taxi. It will always be 3 times what the city taxis cost.

The huge Chao Phraya river that flows through the heart of Bangkok

Bangkok canal or klong

Wat Arun

King's grand palace

Royal barges

Sky train and station

Hatari likes this.

Like M26 said, 3 or 4 days is all you really need in Bangkok until you get sorted out what you want to see and do. I did enjoy an all day trip from Bangkok to Ayutthaya. The taxi van picks you up at your hotel about 8 AM and drives you to a big bus that takes you to one of the King's palaces north of the city.

After about an hour they continue on to Ayutthaya... an ancient temple which is like a miniature Ankor Wat in Cambodia.

The return trip is by boat down the Chao Phraya river where they offer a great lunch and easy passage looking at the Thai countryside. A van picks you up at the boat dock in Bangkok and returns you to your hotel. it used to cost about 1500 baht, butI don't know the cost today. What ever it is it is full value for the day.

This is where M26 and I disagree. I prefer Pattaya to Phuket, and that is even discounting the P4P ladies. I think Pattaya is better value for the money and there is a lot more to do. Hotels are cheaper and there are lots of inexpensive places to eat. That is one of the weird things about Thailand. There can be two restaurants a short distant apart, but one will charge 3 times the amount for the same item. If you do a little searching then look for the places that are very busy. The Thais know where the best value is for your money. Phuket is an island and the airport is about 30 km from the main city at Patong beach. Hotels will pick you up at the airport, but they might charge you, and you do have to pay your own way back. The island has a bunch of different beaches but Patong has the most active night life.

My friend Nan at the beach at Patong

Patong beach

Pattaya's night life scene is about 10 times the size of Phuket, and a lot less expensive. The beaches are better at Patong, but Pattaya has an off shore island called Koh Larn that has several lovely beaches. Inexpensive ferries go to Koh Larn on almost an hourly time. You can get reasonable accommodation at Pattaya for about 400 baht a day. Double or triple that at Phuket.

Pui at jomptien-Pattaya

Pattaya on the beach

Koh Larn Island in the distance from Jomptien tower

Pattaya beach walk in front of city

Koh Larn beach

Chiang Mai is where I spend most of my time, but I'm more of a mountain person than a beach bum. I find sitting on a beach all day boring. I'll condescend if there is reasonable diving and snorkeling, otherwise I'm bored. Chiang Mai has a lovely 3500 foot mountain above it, with a road to the top, but lots of hiking trails as well. And, the motorbike riding in the hills and nearby mountains is superb. I find Chiang Mai to be an ideal size city for me. It is large enough that you can never learn it all. And, it is always changing. But, it is small enough that you can physically walk around the entire core of the city. It also has a great base of English speaking expats, so that means you can always find someone to talk to. I could never live in one of the villages where there is nobody else who speaks fluent English. Chiang Mai has a small night-life bar scene, but nowhere near as big as Bangkok or Pattaya.

Plane taking off from airport and flying over Mount Doi Sutthep

Doi Sutthep with temple just visible near the top

There is a water filled moat and brick wall around the inner city with a walking path on both sides. The moat is exactly one mile square.

Accommodation varies widely and you have a choice to pick clean, adequate and inexpensive or plush and expensive. Lots of great places to eat and lots of live entertainment in the form of music. There are lots of reasonable markets with just about everything imaginable. There is a good reason why a lot of expats call Chiang Mai their home.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    I think Ian and Rob pretty much filled him in.

DutyFree welcome aboard. Really to answer your questions fill us in a bit on what your looking for and what you like to do, age, interests etc.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Welcome to the Forum.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    dont fall in love with your 1st girl 555555...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by meese View Post

And stick to the one night only rule.
    Quarky and TMTBOUND like this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Welcome to the board Dutyfree.

Is this your first trip to Thailand?
    Hey, I'm only saying that because all the bargirls will...555
    I also guess your not 1,000 years old like Forbes is...I'm only about 500 last time I looked. (He is a board legend and a great source of info BTW).

You have 21 days, so flying into BKK you'll have a day or two to get acclimatized.
    Chiang Mai is more laid back, but lots of touristy stuff to do so give it a few days.
    Phuket? a great idea to get a bit more into the "Beached Whale" scenario and get immersed into the bar scene.
    Krabi and Samui (Islands) are only a short hop away and if they don't suit its no big deal to zip out of there.

Go with the flow and leave the "Other countries" to the next trip....which I assure you will be booked before you leave this one...555

Above all....as One of our board members always says "ENJOY', because it's your holiday.

Hope it's a blast man....

Ian Forbes likes this.

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    WTTB..........dont forget to buy some dutyfree dutyfree 555
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    Welcome to the board Dutyfree.

Is this your first trip to Thailand?
    Hey, I'm only saying that because all the bargirls will...555
    I also guess your not 1,000 years old like Forbes is...I'm only about 500 last time I looked. (He is a board legend and a great source of info BTW).

You have 21 days, so flying into BKK you'll have a day or two to get acclimatized.
    Chiang Mai is more laid back, but lots of touristy stuff to do so give it a few days.
    Phuket? a great idea to get a bit more into the "Beached Whale" scenario and get immersed into the bar scene.
    Krabi and Samui (Islands) are only a short hop away and if they don't suit its no big deal to zip out of there.

Go with the flow and leave the "Other countries" to the next trip....which I assure you will be booked before you leave this one...555

Above all....as One of our board members always says "ENJOY', because it's your holiday.

Hope it's a blast man....

I don't necessarily agree with you C1 ... Forbes is only a legend in his lunchtime and posting selfies has probably turned DF off TD already!

My reading of DF is that he's from a big city in USA and in his 30's... therefore BKK, Samui, Siem Reap and Hanoi would make for an excellent 1st trip to SEAsia. Unless over 40 and into bike rides, temples and lanna culture I'd suggest DF gives Chiang Mai a miss this time round. And don't even mention Pattaya! 55
    TMTBOUND likes this.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

I agree... go to Patong first.... if you go to Pattaya first, you'll never go back to Patong... 55
    justcruzing1, Bawdy, Bacon and 1 others like this.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Platinum
    DutyFree,

You need only do two things:

1. Pack a black shirt;
    2. Get a taxi straight to Pattaya upon exit from BKK airport.

Ignore (most) other advice.
    Quarky, Bacon and OZZYGUY like this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star TMTBOUND's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by meese View Post

You will........ but do not do it. 555
    Ian Forbes likes this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star TMTBOUND's Avatar
    Welcome...... A few of us will be in Patong in late December if you would like to meet up.

Quote Originally Posted by TMTBOUND View Post
    You will........ but do not do it. 555
    Happens to all of us. Not necessarily the first one, but when you go through a dozen or more in a couple of weeks you are bound to find ONE that is special. I tried to stay OFF the mongering life style, because there is a lot more to Thailand than the bar scene, but until you find what suits "your style" then the options are open. Hopefully, I'll be in Thailand by December, but with all the new restrictions on longer term stay It is hard to say when I'm coming. Three weeks goes by in the blink of an eye, so I would leave other countries alone on this trip. Even a trip to Chiang Mai is pushing it if you go to one of the resort areas in the south.
    TMTBOUND likes this.

Cadet silver
    Congrats Duty

Sorry to gatecrash your thread..

Not posted on here for a few years myself but I was in your position a few years back when i took my 2nd trip to Thailand (Bangkok/Chang Mai/Phuket) solo.

Was great. If there's one place in the world i've where I didn't mind being solo, it was Thailand. Had a great time in Bangkok and Phuket and almost as good a time in Chiang Mai (was Songkran when I was there and it was mental!).

Seems like some great advice from the locals on here.

I may have met one or 2 of them a few years back. Was on a different forum at the time (no longer exists) mind.

Thought i'd post as i'm heading back to Thailand myself for a couple of weeks next April (Songkran). Was all set to go with a mate (tickets with Emirates booked) but he pulled out the other day!

So I was left with the decision whether to cancel it (he offered to pay all charges to get flight refunds etc) or to go alone.

Decision already made. I'm going alone lol.

PS - Anyone know how can I view the first post of this thread at the top instead of the bottom. Driving me potty!
    Quarky and Bacon like this.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast