• 5 Post By Bacon
  • 2 Post By OZZYGUY
  • 2 Post By bacwaan
  • 2 Post By MattThai
  • 1 Post By RakThai
  • 1 Post By supersub
  • 1 Post By Stillearly
  • 1 Post By MarcTwoSix

Thread: Newbie greets all. Help: should I give it a shot and try moving to thai?

Newby

Question Newbie greets all. Help: should I give it a shot and try moving to thai?

Hiya all, it's my first time on this forum and I must say I am not such a forum user either. But I have only just got back from Thailand with a massive doubt buzzing in my head: should I give it a chance to move there?
    Let me introduce myself first. I'm 31, I live in Italy and have a stable job. Have two wonderful parents and great friends. But there's something telling me I should give it a chance and spend some time (more than a couple of weeeks vacation) in Thai.
    The other day I was sitting on my comfy Air Asia plane seat, flying back to BKK and I came up with this question: Should I really give it a shot and move to Thailand? Quit my job, leave family and friends behind and try? It's the second time I have visited this beautiful country and this time leaving was really painful. Well, I was on holiday and it's always sad to go back to reality, but no, this this time it was idifferent. I felt a different connection, like I was motivated to stay, to try to do something I would never do if I started thinking about it. I tried to picture myself on some Thai island. And if I think I could be sorrunded by all that beauty everyday it really makes me think GO!. Maybe it's because I'm looking only at the bright side of the picture, with my tourist experience, with no hustle, nothing to worry about. But let's say I made up my tangled mind and decided to embark in this adventure, what could you guys suggest me?. I work in communication (content management, social media, ecommerce). Would it be possible to keep up this while statying there?
    Hope I have don things right in posting this.
    Thanks to all you listeners/readers
    bacwaan likes this.

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    Great intro Matt......WTTB
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cuzzy's Avatar
    Welcome....

Don't do it 555
    Bacon likes this.
    Experts : People who know more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Hey Matt, great to have you here. Benvenuti nel sognare tailandese. If that sounds funny you can blame Google translate.

Let me tell you that you're not the first to want to move there after a trip or two, and you won't be the last. I was obsessed with the idea when I first discovered Thailand. I got back home from my first visit thinking of selling everything and moving over as soon as possible. It was like a fever. So many thoughts were going through my head. I'll open a bar, I'll open a restaurant, I'll do this and that, I'll work on the Internet, etc etc...

But then I made a few more trips and I slowly started to learn about Thailand and how things work over there. That's when my immediate dream started to sound more and more unrealistic. There is just so much involved that you don't think about at first. So I'd personally caution you against making any big changes at the moment. Busy yourself with planing your next couple of trips and try to get to know the place a bit better.

I understand your urge though. I'm not a rat race type of guy either and all my effort and energy is directed towards retiring somewhere tropical as soon as possible. But I've realised that it can't happen right now at the drop of a hat. Well it can, but things can go real bad real quick in Thailand. We have expats there begging in the streets for food because of bad planning. But then it all depends on your situation as well. If you have savings and good support back home, and if you can manage to work something out with your current job and operate remotely, then you really might be able to pull it off. Maybe just give it a shot for 3 months or something an see how you go. Some places seem like paradise until you live there long term lol.

We have people here who live in Thailand though and they'll be able to help you out with any questions you might have on all sorts of topics like visa, locations, etc.

Hope to hear more from you again.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    ^ wot he said

WTTB Matt

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    WTTB Matt

Good advise from Bacon.

After a few trips that buzz no longer happens. Yeah sure you still love the place but you see it very differently.

I would suggest a few short trips maybe a month at a time, go see parts of Thailand you have not been to yet. Have a good look around and get to know the place.

Just be carful of those beautiful Thai girls they can lead you astray......55

BTW just to rub it in I will be in Thailand later this week.
    Quarky and MattThai like this.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    hey Matt...give it another 30 years then give it a try...when you have enough money behind you to retire...otherwise it will be a very difficult road to traverse...

If you are Itailian and english is your second language congratulations on a great grasp of the language...now that is one thing Thailand is always after TEFL and ESL teachers...do you think you could hack that road whilst keeping a hand in with your current carrer..teachers only earn about 40K baht a month so best be aware....but if so you think you can handle that it is probably your easiest legal path
    TLandHim and MattThai like this.

Newby
    Thanks Rivo!

Newby
    To all you guys, thanks for your words! Appreciate the heads up
    I am fully aware this unstoppable love for Thailand could be like one of those spells in fairy tales where toads are princes to the eyes of princesses but on the other hand, I keep thinking that a few months there would not be bad to understand if really this is something feasible. But not as a tourist as it would be a honey trap, I know my chickens! I'm pretty confused to be honest, but hey, it's not like I have a gun pointed at my head or have a deadline. I'll keep doing my research and probably work on a planning another trip soon - maybe on my own or at least not with my mates - and see what comes out of that. To add a bit more details to the story, I might also have a few connections there to help me out: have a relative in Pattaya (location which does not enthuse me) who runs a restaurant with his Thai fiancée and a former colleague who apparently runs a real estate business in Phuket. So, long stroy short, guys: I have no clue what to do! 5555
    The more I wait the less chances to find the courage and take the leap.
    Oh, and to reply to Bacwaan. I am actually bilingual and my dad's an English teacher. Still, would I teach in Thai? The answer is: "Sorry dad, won't follow in your footsteps!" 555. But maybe I could sponsor this opportunity for his retirement.
    Thank you all again for the support! I'll keep looking into this opportunity and probably reacch out again See you in Thai!
    Kapunkap
    Bacon and OZZYGUY like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    If you have funds to keep you going for a year or two, and your work now allows you to re-enter that industry if you move back to Italy, I say why not?

You are young, go for it.

And if you work in social media, why can't you do that globally while living in Thailand?

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    If you have funds to keep you going for a year or two, and your work now allows you to re-enter that industry if you move back to Italy, I say why not?

You are young, go for it.

And if you work in social media, why can't you do that globally while living in Thailand?
    personally I don't think 31 is that young to be taking a career break , sure <25 , but thirty upwards is the time to take your job seriously , maximise your earnings and save as much for your pension , especially if your not married and have no kids to support ( boring I know but it then gives you more choices later )

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    personally I don't think 31 is that young to be taking a career break , sure <25 , but thirty upwards is the time to take your job seriously , maximise your earnings and save as much for your pension , especially if your not married and have no kids to support ( boring I know but it then gives you more choices later )
    I lived in Thailand at exactly 31yrs old, was out of work for about 1 1/2-2 years total and ended up with the best job of my career after. And moving to Thailand gave me the idea that I should look outside the US for my next job, which I probably would never have done if I just went to work for another US firm when I left the firm before I moved to Thailand

But I also had decent savings and for 1 year, I was getting 80k baht unemployment/mo so spent very little of my own money

Getting back to work at 33yrs old, I felt I still had 20 years of decent work left(if I wanted to)

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    "It's quite simple..

One sees clearly only with the hearth.
    Anything essential is invisible to the eyes."

Wish I came up with something like that, but it's a quote of a French book called "the little Prince"..
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Beautiful quote, or as Joseph Campbell put it, follow your bliss. I don't think that much of it is the problem though. It's the courage to take the first step that stops 99% of people from being happy, regardless of their heart's desire.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Do a bit of research on digital nomads in Chiang Mai, heaps of them there making a decent living so it is an option for you.

Quote Originally Posted by MattThai View Post
    Hiya all, it's my first time on this forum and I must say I am not such a forum user either. But I have only just got back from Thailand with a massive doubt buzzing in my head: should I give it a chance to move there?
    Let me introduce myself first. I'm 31, I live in Italy and have a stable job. Have two wonderful parents and great friends. But there's something telling me I should give it a chance and spend some time (more than a couple of weeeks vacation) in Thai.
    The other day I was sitting on my comfy Air Asia plane seat, flying back to BKK and I came up with this question: Should I really give it a shot and move to Thailand? Quit my job, leave family and friends behind and try? It's the second time I have visited this beautiful country and this time leaving was really painful. Well, I was on holiday and it's always sad to go back to reality, but no, this this time it was idifferent. I felt a different connection, like I was motivated to stay, to try to do something I would never do if I started thinking about it. I tried to picture myself on some Thai island. And if I think I could be sorrunded by all that beauty everyday it really makes me think GO!. Maybe it's because I'm looking only at the bright side of the picture, with my tourist experience, with no hustle, nothing to worry about. But let's say I made up my tangled mind and decided to embark in this adventure, what could you guys suggest me?. I work in communication (content management, social media, ecommerce). Would it be possible to keep up this while statying there?
    Hope I have don things right in posting this.
    Thanks to all you listeners/readers
    Welcome, Matt.

I'm not going to lecture you and say, "Life is serious stuff, you don't move to another country based on advises from people on the internet!"

But I am going to lecture you and say, "Life is a journey, go wherever and see what happens."

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar
    During my 1st few trips I was seriously considering it too. I'm not into programming or developing and there are 2 to the Penny who will always work for less, so in the end decided the best way was for me to work hard here and enjoy my holidays.

Maybe on day when I'm retired I can afford to spend half the year or more in Thailand.
    Stillearly likes this.

On the plane home after my first trip , my friend and I were trying to decide on a name for the bar we were going to buy ....
    peteman likes this.

To be honest.....

I was very excited to move to Thailand when I did and I had no timetable to move back West.
    I had planned on looking for a job on Singapore or Hong Kong

And nothing negative happened to sour me on Thailand when I lived there ...

Then I got a great offer to consult in Vancouver for 3 months, and that extended to a year and then permanent.

But once I got to Vancouver I just realized I prefer living in the West

And mostly I think it was the weather. I think the weather is horrible in Thailand. Too damn hot all the time and big for me, there are no real seasons

Eventually I will move for a longer period somewhere overseas but at 33yrs old....I missed living back West
    peteman likes this.