The best and friendliest guesthouse in Patong.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: New to the forum and 7 weeks until I fly over to Thailand

Newby
    She sells dresses at her shop.
    OzzyDamo likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    If anything goes wrong during your short trip , ditch the girl and head to Pattaya , WTTB
    PeteGill likes this.

Newby
    While I agree that sending money is a horrible idea.
    I didn't send enough to do me any harm.
    I sent $100.00 for the battery and I sent her $350.00 for the hotels and flight.
    So, $450.00.
    And what did I learn?
    I learned that I can trust her.
    Trust is an extremely valuable component of any relationship, without it, what do you have?
    I guess I also left out an important piece of information.
    She just had her 45th Birthday.
    PeteGill and kaptainrob like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I sent $100.00 for the battery and I sent her $350.00 for the hotels and flight.
    So, $450.00.
    And what did I learn?
    Trust is an extremely valuable component of any relationship, without it, what do you have?
    Flights can be booked online...most hotels can be booked online in places like CM.

what did she say to make you think you couldn't?

I'm with you it'll probably work out ok but i'd be at least meeting her before splurging out like that and sharing rooms with someone you've never met...not that any of us have never made mistakes..it's all part of the learning experience.

anyone out to scam would rub their hands in glee that you've never even been in the country and willing to send cash.
    Distantpeak and OZZYGUY like this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    So, $450.00.
    And what did I learn?
    I hope everything works out ok. $350 doesn't seem enough for both hotels and flight.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your trip though. Keep us posted whilst over there if you can. You might be needing help or advice at some point.
    Anything worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Hi Richard and WTTB. (Welcome to the board)

Keep posting and other info will become available to you, loads of good reports and information here.

The no punctuation does make it hard to get thru, especially as there is so much of it but I understand why you did it

By the way you can, up to 24hrs after you post it, go back and edit it. So maybe go and see if you can edit it and then save after correcting the punctuation.
    It will make you get a lot more response. You will see an "Edit Post" on the bottom ribon of your initial post.

You said you have done research via youtube, there is a lot more to know than whats on there.

The reason some of the BM's will be skeptical about the relationship is for a number of reasons and all from experience and knowledge.
    BUT we never ridicule anyone here, unlike some other forums.

Just as an example, you mention you are going to meet her Son, that is not generally done without meeting you and spending time to see if you are going to stay around, especially not by a normal Thai girl, as such not a Bar Girl or freelancer.

This is not just in Thai (LOS land of Smiles) it is the same here in western countries, a mother protects her kids till she is confidant in the man and his intentions.

You are in for an amazing experience so enjoy ...AND post a trip report, with photo's of where you go if possible.

Cheers,
    Last edited by justcruzing1; 10th August 2018 at 21:27.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    I hope everything works out ok. $350 doesn't seem enough for both hotels and flight.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your trip though. Keep us posted whilst over there if you can. You might be needing help or advice at some point.
    A couple of IF style accommodations maybe? i wonder what Rich will think of $12-15/night rooms? 55

more spending power from USD too.
    Last edited by Moo Uaon; 10th August 2018 at 20:45.
    Dupree and Ian Forbes like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    So, $450.00.
    And what did I learn?
    45? How old are you?
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

Liberal Conservative Distantpeak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    And Richard, don't let any girl use your shortened name in vain...
    Even Dick Whittington eventually worked out that the streets of London were not paved with gold...
    Singularity prediction... 2043...

Immortality to follow within 5 years...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    You already got good value for your $450. It showed her that you are serious, and you got some good laughs. There are some gems out there, just as there are shysters. You won't find that out until you spend time with them. Even with a shyster you can have a good time.

Some guys here are happy spending $150 a night or more just for accommodation, and think nothing of it. I seldom spend more that $40 a night anywhere in Thailand, and only if I am staying in Bangkok where costs are high. Most often I can find a nice room in a clean hotel for 400 to 600 baht per night. That is about $15 to $25 a night. If that is not fancy enough for a Thai woman then you've picked the wrong lady.

It is the same with eating. There is no need to splurge on fancy restaurants. Thais are happier eating their own choice of meals. Spoiling them means taking them some place with a good choice of sea food.

And, what ever happens just take it as an adventure and enjoy yourself. There is no cause or need for a long term commitment at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    You already got good value for your $450. It showed her that you are serious, and you got some good laughs. There are some gems out there, just as there are shysters. You won't find that out until you spend time with them. Even with a shyster you can have a good time.

Some guys here are happy spending $150 a night or more just for accommodation, and think nothing of it. I seldom spend more that $40 a night anywhere in Thailand, and only if I am staying in Bangkok where costs are high. Most often I can find a nice room in a clean hotel for 400 to 600 baht per night. That is about $15 to $25 a night. If that is not fancy enough for a Thai woman then you've picked the wrong lady.

It is the same with eating. There is no need to splurge on fancy restaurants. Thais are happier eating their own choice of meals. Spoiling them means taking them some place with a good choice of sea food.

And, what ever happens just take it as an adventure and enjoy yourself. There is no cause or need for a long term commitment at this point.
    Yes at the very lest he has a tour guide. $450 is peanuts, if she was a serious scammer she'd of got more. At 45 she's not a spring chicken, so finding a western guy wanting her would be harder at that age.
    She could be the right girl for him, you never know till you go. She speaks english which is a good start. At 17 the young man would probably be able to handle it having a farang around, be good for this english skills at the lest.

3.5star accommodation in Thailand is great value, I do the same, probably average around 500baht/night. I agree a lady from Issan, wouldn't be put off by 3star accomodation and I would follow her recommendations for food also, stuff like charcoal grilled chicken or pork, larb, som tam(not to spicy), rice dishes and noodles. He will most probably get a stomach bug being his first time over there. I would save the seafood idea for the southern part of Thailand, where he's going pork and chicken will be the freshest meat available and less chance of getting sick.
    Ian Forbes likes this.

Newby
    Ok, update time:
    1.) I've tried to edit the original post, but to no avail. - Sorry!
    2.) About 3 days ago she had someone replace the traditional rose colored rectangular Thai toilet for a new western style one.
    I'm not sure about the garden hose hanging on the wall and how to use it properly? Isn't the water festival held in April?
    3.) Called the airlines trying to get aisle seat assignments for all my flights.
    It's a good thing I called since they took it upon themselves to change all my flights and to send me to Shanghai, China instead.
    I told "Jeff" the airline rep. that I didn't know anyone in Shanghai and that's it's difficult for me to make new friends in foreign countries. (laughing).
    I find that they try harder when you're nice to them and make them laugh in the process.
    It took them over 90 minutes to put me back on my originally scheduled flights. (the supervisor was taking his nap or something like that).
    So, the day I fly out of DMK for Udon Thani will also be my 51st Birthday.
    I really do appreciate all the comments and everyone who is looking out for me.
    All I can say is. Trust has to start somewhere.
    I really believe I found the right girl. Only time will tell.
    I'm still looking for suggestions. I'm trying to find a buffet dinner boat cruise in Bangkok.

^ you can book a dinner cruise from a hotel. All the brochures and info will be at the desk there.. unless it's a kineow (cheap charlie) joint 55

Platinum
    I don’t think anyone has had to replace a battery on their phone since 2003 5555

One thing that caught my eye was when you said trust has to start somewhere.competely disagree. Trust is earned and you wouldn’t trust a western girl straight up. Well I wouldn’t anyway.one thing I have learned from my many trips to Thailand, over 70 at this stage, that if a bg or even tg pulls a strop very early on it’s a test. If you cave it’s a slippery slope.

On the other hand I have learned to never believe in stereotypes. Your experiences will be different from everyone else’s so pay heed to advice but work out yourself if it applies to you. Don’t let jealousy or lust be your guide. Remember you are always in control of your holiday. But if things aren’t working out with your girl don’t be afraid to cut loose. I have seen so many guys have a sh1t time on their holiday because of the girl they are with. No girl is different and no girl is the same. It’s how you get on with them. Don’t second guess everything but live in the moment. It is a holiday so don’t be worrying about the future.

You are in for the biggest adventure of your life and I can guarantee every guy here is jealous as the first trip in LOS is so unforgettable.
    PeteGill, Ian Forbes and OZZYGUY like this.

Newby
    No, the battery was for her Toyota Hilux. which will come in handy when I arrive.. since she has an 80-minute drive just to get to the airport.
    I've already booked the Aspira hotel in Bangkok. and Sunwing in Kamala Beach in Phuket.

Platinum
    You will have an amazing time. If you only listen to one thing from me is this. You have made a declaration that you believe you have met the right girl. Don’t be afraid to change your mind. Don’t be afraid to alter all your plans if you are not enjoying yourself. You have no idea what kind of fcuked up brilliant adventure you are going to have. No one can know a person is the right person. Make sure you look after number one. I wish someone had said that to me early on.
    Ian Forbes, OZZYGUY and Tingtong like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Notorius View Post
    I don’t think anyone has had to replace a battery on their phone since 2003 5555

One thing that caught my eye was when you said trust has to start somewhere.competely disagree. Trust is earned and you wouldn’t trust a western girl straight up. Well I wouldn’t anyway.one thing I have learned from my many trips to Thailand, over 70 at this stage, that if a bg or even tg pulls a strop very early on it’s a test. If you cave it’s a slippery slope.

On the other hand I have learned to never believe in stereotypes. Your experiences will be different from everyone else’s so pay heed to advice but work out yourself if it applies to you. Don’t let jealousy or lust be your guide. Remember you are always in control of your holiday. But if things aren’t working out with your girl don’t be afraid to cut loose. I have seen so many guys have a sh1t time on their holiday because of the girl they are with. No girl is different and no girl is the same. It’s how you get on with them. Don’t second guess everything but live in the moment. It is a holiday so don’t be worrying about the future.

You are in for the biggest adventure of your life and I can guarantee every guy here is jealous as the first trip in LOS is so unforgettable.
    You will have an amazing time. If you only listen to one thing from me is this. You have made a declaration that you believe you have met the right girl. Don’t be afraid to change your mind. Don’t be afraid to alter all your plans if you are not enjoying yourself. You have no idea what kind of fcuked up brilliant adventure you are going to have. No one can know a person is the right person. Make sure you look after number one. I wish someone had said that to me early on.
    Richard Notorius advice is spot on.

Also be the boss and don’t let her, Most Asian lady’s like the guy to lead, be the decision maker, the boss in the relationship and she will be there to take care of you.. There are 1000's of girls ready to meet guys once you land

Some time back I chatted online with a lady for about 4 months, Video chat most nights, really nice girl worked as a nanny in Hong Kong, Like you I thought she was the one, so I jumped on a plane and went to Hong Kong meet her. The funny thing was once I met her in person there was no connection. Next day I changed my plans and got a plane to Bangkok by myself. Worked out a great trip and didn’t end up with the wrong girl.

Best decision I ever made because now 4 years later I’m married to the most amazing lady.
    Last edited by OZZYGUY; 13th August 2018 at 08:18.
    Notorius and Cobba like this.

Platinum
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    Richard Notorius advice is spot on.

Also be the boss and don’t let her, Most Asian lady’s like the guy to lead, be the decision maker, the boss in the relationship and she will be there to take care of you.. There are 1000's of girls ready to meet guys once you land

Some time back I chatted online with a lady for about 4 months, Video chat most nights, really nice girl worked as a nanny in Hong Kong, Like you I thought she was the one, so I jumped on a plane and went to Hong Kong meet her. The funny thing was once I met her in person there was no connection. Next day I changed my plans and got a plane to Bangkok by myself. Worked out a great trip and didn’t end up with the wrong girl.

Best decision I ever made because now 4 years later I’m married to the most amazing lady.
    One thing I would say is some guys (including me to some extent) like the girl to lead I.e. bringing you to a beach that tourists don’t know about, or a backstreet restaurant where only Thais know about. That can make a holiday special and experience things that none of your mates will ever do. I am not talking about things like that. I am talking about making you stay in a beauty salon while you pay for her hair or makeup. Or if she brings you to a restaurant with 10 of her mates (including her brother and cousin) and don’t say a word to you all night except for a big iteration in Thai followed by everyone looking at you and laughing. If you wouldn’t put up with it at home then don’t put up with it there.

Also, all of us love a good trip report and by all means share your holiday. But you don’t have to share everything. Guys don’t know exactly what has happened and helpful advice can make you question yourself. That’s what I meant by you are the boss. Also, live in the moment when you are there. There will be times that you could get jealous. Be it she receives a text from her German friend or gets a phone call from her friends American husband that she has to take to give advice.

I hope you take the above as helpful. It is just my musings. But sure what would I know 5555
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    One thing I would say is some guys (including me to some extent) like the girl to lead I.e. bringing you to a beach that tourists don’t know about, or a backstreet restaurant where only Thais know about. That can make a holiday special and experience things that none of your mates will ever do.5
    Im still going to places that BG's took me to years ago, now Im taking my buddys or wife. Can get taken to some real gems of places and now my friends always say "how did you find this place" ............My wife dosnt ask I think she knows....55

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast