The best and friendliest guesthouse in Patong.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: House building information

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nechtan View Post
    Do you think 40k is an OK amount for my size? willing to spend 50k or more but the 40k is what I am telling architects etc, as building always goes over budget.

The money your talking is way too much IMO, unless you are 5 star all the way, I would think in Udon you would get 10-15k easily, I built in Chiang Rai a few years ago and paid 1.6m baht for 220sqm (single story house only)
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivo View Post
    The money your talking is way too much IMO, unless you are 5 star all the way, I would think in Udon you would get 10-15k easily, I built in Chiang Rai a few years ago and paid 1.6m baht for 220sqm (single story house only)
    Yes we are looking at cutting edge, high quality design. Nothing like the Alan the builder quality as a referenced earlier, that just horrible design to us. Thatís why I am searching forums for information. Most people on forums seem to building on the cheap and think a 2 million baht home is top of the line etc.

Sorry I donít mean offence if thatís your budget, and I understand you can get a lot for that money. But itís not the style or finish we are looking for.

My in laws spent 6 million baht 8 years ago on their house as an example, nice house, but too Thai style for our liking and to build it today would be about 9-10 million.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Welcome to the board Nechtan.
    Anything worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards.

Sorry I don’t mean offence if that’s your budget, and I understand you can get a lot for that money. But it’s not the style or finish we are looking for..

No offence taken, that's why we need more information on your requirements, everyone's bank balance is different and you will get a beautiful home for the money your talking, I am no help to you in Udon.

BTW I've been to Kaptains house in Chiang Mai a few times and it is very high quality IMO, he has some good contacts, as far as not knowing his contact, just send an email and say you are asking for advice, nothing to lose
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Cadet silver
    Welcome to the board Nectan, im sure you will find the other members have a wealth of information.

Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldmanemu View Post
    Welcome to the board Nectan, im sure you will find the other members have a wealth of information.
    Thanks I hope so.

What is your current project? Style, materials, location etc. what is the budgeted cost per Sqm?

Do you think 40k is an OK amount for my size? willing to spend 50k or more but the 40k is what I am telling architects etc, as building always goes over budget.

I am not going for a skillion roof as such, (not against it either) the picture was to reference general style. Looking at doing the more traditional Thai design of cluster of rooms around a large central area.

I really like the idea of cluster rooms around a central area, so in laws, children, friends etc can stay but still have privacy etc.

A Queenslander is good idea, but the balconies often donít get much use. My brother has one (in Queensland) and most of the area doesnít get used, and the areas that do are to small.

Who is this Doc? Just feeling a little weird contacting someone who I donít know anything about, I donít want to contract someone who doesnít get the style I am after such the Alan builder above.

I am looking for a architect who understands the style, not someone just looking to make money etc.
    As Mod I can access yr email addy which I will do tomoz if time allows. I can send some basic data which may or may not help.

To find an architect or builder for the style and quality you desire I recommended contacting a long-term UT resident and businessman. It's up 2 U as to how you approach Doc, say 'K...R.. from CNX recommended we have a chat ....' if you like. I have ordered a bbq from Doc. Otherwise you may need to trawl the 'net and make contact with the likes of PDHomes and others who may or may not have the expertise you seek. Most Thai Co's will not even respond to an email.

~ 16 to 18k per talang/m gets you a quality QCon single story build with all concrete columns and beams, ground/floor/roof. That doesn't necessarily include swimming pool, perimeter walls, driveway, floor/wall tiles, kitchen and sanitaryware. A quality 4m x 4m kitchen in hi-gloss and granite can easily run to 400k + appliances!

A visit to UT and scout around for top quality builders may be your best option. My best advice is to ensure your selected builder either speaks passable English or your wife can liaise comfortably during construction ... the latter option can test the best relationship!
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Cadet
    No offence taken, that's why we need more information on your requirements, everyone's bank balance is different and you will get a beautiful home for the money your talking, I am no help to you in Udon.

BTW I've been to Kaptains house in Chiang Mai a few times and it is very high quality IMO, he has some good contacts, as far as not knowing his contact, just send an email and say you are asking for advice, nothing to lose
    thanks for your input, I am struggling to find information on level/type of house we are looking at building as it doesn’t seem to be the norm on forums etc. and haven’t been able to find comparable builds etc.

Still happy to read and learn from others projects.

If I can give more information that would be useful please let me know.

Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    As Mod I can access yr email addy which I will do tomoz if time allows. I can send some basic data which may or may not help.
    That would be goood if you have the time.

To find an architect or builder for the style and quality you desire I recommended contacting a long-term UT resident and businessman. It's up 2 U as to how you approach Doc, say 'K...R.. from CNX recommended we have a chat ....' if you like. I have ordered a bbq from Doc. Otherwise you may need to trawl the 'net and make contact with the likes of PDHomes and others who may or may not have the expertise you seek. Most Thai Co's will not even respond to an email.
    I did a quick search on the net and only came up with a site selling BBQís thatís why I apprehensive about emailing someone who sells BBQís about an architect designed home.

Maybe I am missing the link, but thanks for your time/suggestions.

~ 16 to 18k per talang/m gets you a quality QCon single story build with all concrete columns and beams, ground/floor/roof. That doesn't necessarily include swimming pool, perimeter walls, driveway, floor/wall tiles, kitchen and sanitaryware. A quality 4m x 4m kitchen in hi-gloss and granite can easily run to 400k + appliances!
    Thanks for the figures, but not looking at doing an indoor western style kitchen at all.

The figures I stated also donít include the perimeter wall, driveways or gardens those are budgeted for separately.

It seems we are very different in overall firgures, just to clarify we are looking at spending around the 15 million baht amount on the house, not including gardens, driveway, walls or out buildings.

A visit to UT and scout around for top quality builders may be your best option. My best advice is to ensure your selected builder either speaks passable English or your wife can liaise comfortably during construction ... the latter option can test the best relationship!
    Have visited many a times, havenít found many houses that meet our tastes.

The builder doesnít have to speak English, more then happy to have the family/wife handle it. If fact I think itís better that they do.

I was just looking for suggestions to point them towards, as the wife/in laws donít seem to be having much luck.

Itís looking like we will have to engage architects/builders from Bangkok to do the project.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Our house ain't that big but quite modern and comfortable. Outside under the carport gets a lot of use especially when it's hot which is a lot of the year 55

750k baht for the land and build by a family member...it's an extremely solid build.

2013-06-06 08-38-49 (Large).jpg
    wabbits, Ian Forbes and OZZYGUY like this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Thanks I hope so.
    We will even give you information that you don't want to know. 5555

Welcome to the forum.
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    Our house ain't that big but quite modern and comfortable. Outside under the carport gets a lot of use especially when it's hot which is a lot of the year 55

750k baht for the land and build by a family member...it's an extremely solid build.

Typical Thai.... you have a nice dining room table and everyone sits on the floor to eat. 55

Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    Welcome Nechtan hope you find what you need, sorry I cannot help.

Our new member Cobba should be following this thread.......55
    Yes following but have nothing really to offer 555........

I have no idea about building in Thailand.... Do they even have a Bunnings there ? ......... 555
    OZZYGUY likes this.

The artist formally known as Wabbits wabbits's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobba View Post

I have no idea about building in Thailand.... Do they even have a Bunnings there ? ......... 555
    Oh wait till you visit big Thai hardware stores you will then forever be disappointed with Bunnings. 5555
    100.00 goes much further in a Thai hardware than Bunnings...I use this figure as that seems the average spend whenever I go to our local Bunnings.55555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    Oh wait till you visit big Thai hardware stores you will then forever be disappointed with Bunnings. 5555
    100.00 goes much further in a Thai hardware than Bunnings...I use this figure as that seems the average spend whenever I go to our local Bunnings.55555
    I only go to Bunnings for a feed 55.
    Anything worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards.

The artist formally known as Wabbits wabbits's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    I only go to Bunnings for a feed 55.
    Same the daughter must have sausage in bread.555

Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post

Thanks for your post, but its at the other end of the scale that I am looking for.

Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobba View Post
    Thai Watsadu
    Thailand has some great home improvement stores like Thaiwatasudo, Home pro, Global and Homemart

Have you had any luck finding a builder nechtan ?

It would be great if you showed us your build, there will be builders around that can design and build to your requirements

Cadet
    Have you had any luck finding a builder nechtan ?

It would be great if you showed us your build, there will be builders around that can design and build to your requirements
    Not really the first choice at the moment seems to be https://www.facebook.com/spacetime.kalatesa/ they have built in UT before and have a good understanding of style that we want.
    Rivo likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12