The best and friendliest guesthouse in Patong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: House building information

  1. #1
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    25

    House building information

    Hi,

    I am moving to Thailand early next year, we are building a house shortly and was just looking at connecting and getting some information from others who may have done the same already or are looking at doing so.

    I have looked at the forum, but couldnít find a house building section, so apologies if this is in the wrong area, moderators please move to the correct area if so.

  2. #2
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    16,610
    I don't go on it, but I know people say Thai Visa forum has a house section

  3. #3
    Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Samui
    Posts
    7,972
    Teak Door is another forum which might have some threads on what you are after...

    I assume you are building a house up country with a Thai partner Khun Nechtan?

  4. #4
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cippy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    LOEI
    Posts
    3,155
    Annnd, we have four or five here that will help.
    Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. M.T.

  5. #5
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cippy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    LOEI
    Posts
    3,155
    Last edited by Cippy; 31st August 2018 at 01:16.
    Distantpeak likes this.
    Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. M.T.

  6. #6
    Liberal Conservative Distantpeak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    46,681
    Quote Originally Posted by Cippy View Post
    Look at this Nechtan... been a few building projects in the last few years,...
    Singularity prediction... 2043...

    Immortality to follow within 5 years...


  7. #7
    The artist formally known as Wabbits wabbits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    53
    Posts
    9,900
    https://www.alanthebuilder.com/

    Worth looking at and If I remember heaps of good links but it has been awhile.
    I was a member of a Thai Building forum a few years back cant remember what though Surin farang or building in issan something like that.
    .

  8. #8
    Frequent Flyer kaptainrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Lannaland
    Posts
    7,930
    Nechtan, you will need a number of posts before the relevant sections will become visible. It's a security thing.

    Tell us where you're from and in which region you might build plus some detail of size, scale etc. My projects have shown a huge difference in materials availability and evolved techniques between builds.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

  9. #9
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth, Cebu, CNX
    Posts
    5,904
    Welcome Nechtan hope you find what you need, sorry I cannot help.



    Our new member Cobba should be following this thread.......55
    Distantpeak and PeteGill like this.

  10. #10
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Nth Brisbane Qld Aust.
    Posts
    12,180
    Welcome Nechtan,

    As said, you need to go up a level or two to get access to the relative threads.

    There are several BM's here that have done it and documented it with photo's etc.

    i haven't but I work in the housing design and build area so have a good ability to read plans etc and make comments on anything I see as a possible mistake or problem, sort of assess and fix while it is still only on paper.

    To get thru the number of posts to climb a level, answer each of us individually, not as a multi quote. Tell us about yourself, just general things, so we can respond and then you can reply back, it won't take long for you to get up the levels.

    Cheers,

    OZZYGUY likes this.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

  11. #11
    Cadet Gold OzzyDamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Brisso
    Posts
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Nechtan, you will need a number of posts before the relevant sections will become visible. It's a security thing.

    Tell us where you're from and in which region you might build plus some detail of size, scale etc. My projects have shown a huge difference in materials availability and evolved techniques between builds.
    Are thinking of building and selling houses Rob?

  12. #12
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    I don't go on it, but I know people say Thai Visa forum has a house section
    It has some good sections about DIY projects etc, but not what I am looking for really. But thanks for the suggestion.

  13. #13
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    Teak Door is another forum which might have some threads on what you are after...

    I assume you are building a house up country with a Thai partner Khun Nechtan?


    Yes, building with my wife in Udon Thani, nextdoor to the in-laws.

  14. #14
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Cippy View Post
    http://www.thai-dreaming.com/forums/your-building-home-projects/
    Thanks, couldn’t find it before, having a look at it now.

  15. #15
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    https://www.alanthebuilder.com/

    Worth looking at and If I remember heaps of good links but it has been awhile.
    I was a member of a Thai Building forum a few years back cant remember what though Surin farang or building in issan something like that.
    Thanks for the link, but that type of house style is the complete opposite to what we are looking at doing. It looks more at home in Europe then the tropics, I don’t know why people would want a European style house in Thailand.

    A lot of the links seem old and broken also on that site.

    Here is a reference picture to what we are looking to build to give some idea.
    Last edited by Nechtan; 2nd September 2018 at 16:35.

  16. #16
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    25

  17. #17
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Nechtan, you will need a number of posts before the relevant sections will become visible. It's a security thing.

    Tell us where you're from and in which region you might build plus some detail of size, scale etc. My projects have shown a huge difference in materials availability and evolved techniques between builds.
    From Australia, building in Udon Thani province, but 40 kms out of the city of Udon. Have 4 Rai house block thatís ready to build on. My wife and in-laws will be overseeing most of the build, but donít no anyone local that builds the style we are after.

    Looking at building a 300-350sqm liveable area house, and budgeting around 40,000 -50,000baht per sqm.

    Going for a modern Thai tropical house design. Steel framed, Steel roof, with polished/finished concrete and natural hard woods to soften and add warmth.

    I posted a picture above as reference to the style.

    Do you have a link to your projects?

  18. #18
    Frequent Flyer kaptainrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Lannaland
    Posts
    7,930
    Quote Originally Posted by Nechtan View Post
    From Australia, building in Udon Thani province, but 40 kms out of the city of Udon. Have 4 Rai house block that’s ready to build on. My wife and in-laws will be overseeing most of the build, but don’t no anyone local that builds the style we are after.

    Looking at building a 300-350sqm liveable area house, and budgeting around 40,000 -50,000baht per sqm.

    Going for a modern Thai tropical house design. Steel framed, Steel roof, with polished/finished concrete and natural hard woods to soften and add warmth.

    I posted a picture above as reference to the style.

    Do you have a link to your projects?
    No link to current project though it's of a similar size.

    There's a number of BM's on here who frequent Udon Thani that might offer suggestions though you should seek advice from Doc at quikfirebbqATgmail as he's a fairly clued up American expat with many contacts in the UT area.

    The skillion roof design you've posted would probably cost far less than you've budgeted if built using concrete columns and beams yet have a similar appearance. My mate here in CM has recently completed 2 similar homes, one 2 level Queenslander type (parking etc under/wrap-round balcony), and another 3 level L-shape ultra modern with skillion roof. He's English and been building here for 16 years. You need to find someone of a similar caliber in UT.
    Nechtan likes this.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

  19. #19
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    No link to current project though it's of a similar size.

    There's a number of BM's on here who frequent Udon Thani that might offer suggestions though you should seek advice from Doc at quikfirebbqATgmail as he's a fairly clued up American expat with many contacts in the UT area.

    The skillion roof design you've posted would probably cost far less than you've budgeted if built using concrete columns and beams yet have a similar appearance. My mate here in CM has recently completed 2 similar homes, one 2 level Queenslander type (parking etc under/wrap-round balcony), and another 3 level L-shape ultra modern with skillion roof. He's English and been building here for 16 years. You need to find someone of a similar caliber in UT.
    What is your current project? Style, materials, location etc. what is the budgeted cost per Sqm?

    Do you think 40k is an OK amount for my size? willing to spend 50k or more but the 40k is what I am telling architects etc, as building always goes over budget.

    I am not going for a skillion roof as such, (not against it either) the picture was to reference general style. Looking at doing the more traditional Thai design of cluster of rooms around a large central area.

    I really like the idea of cluster rooms around a central area, so in laws, children, friends etc can stay but still have privacy etc.

    A Queenslander is good idea, but the balconies often donít get much use. My brother has one (in Queensland) and most of the area doesnít get used, and the areas that do are to small.

    Who is this Doc? Just feeling a little weird contacting someone who I donít know anything about, I donít want to contract someone who doesnít get the style I am after such the Alan builder above.

    I am looking for a architect who understands the style, not someone just looking to make money etc.

  20. #20
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post
    Welcome Nechtan,

    As said, you need to go up a level or two to get access to the relative threads.

    There are several BM's here that have done it and documented it with photo's etc.

    i haven't but I work in the housing design and build area so have a good ability to read plans etc and make comments on anything I see as a possible mistake or problem, sort of assess and fix while it is still only on paper.

    To get thru the number of posts to climb a level, answer each of us individually, not as a multi quote. Tell us about yourself, just general things, so we can respond and then you can reply back, it won't take long for you to get up the levels.

    Cheers,

    Cheers, I will look at responding to some other post to build my post count, I am a private person generally.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •