The best and friendliest guesthouse in Patong.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Another new Aussie member

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    I remember when a young couple in their 20s referred to me as a middle aged man (when they were talking to someone else). I was horrified... as at the time I was barely 30....

I still don't think of myself as middle aged now... does anyone? ...55
    Ive been getting young people calling me Sir, and I even had a young Dude Open A door for me recently ...How Embarrasment 55
    Ian Forbes likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tingtong View Post
    Ive been getting young people calling me Sir, and I even had a young Dude Open A door for me recently ...How Embarrasment 55
    Just had a few days of being called Sir in Manila. Drives me nuts as I despise shallow status and monarchy. A polite request to not call me sir didn't work, but addressing them as madam did.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Just had a few days of being called Sir in Manila. Drives me nuts as I despise shallow status and monarchy. A polite request to not call me sir didn't work, but addressing them as madam did.
    Its a cultural thing they all do it in PI....... Or Mr Nomad…..55

It takes a bit of getting use to. My mountain bike buddies in the Phils called me Sir at first now they call me Amigo.
    Ian Forbes likes this.

Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    well..there are a few pubs and clubs that have P4P and Freelancers in HCMC if you want to chance your luck whilst over there Khun Joca..however it has been my experience that it is not as friendly and easy going as the Thai model...

mai bpen rai..there are always the hairdressers for a sly wristy massage with BJ...the moto taxi lads know where to find them...555
    Thanks bacwaan i went to HCMC last year most of massage girls on bui vien street in district 1 offer massages with extras but this area is a total tourist trap. I went to a bar along this street with a couple of english blokes called Crazy Girls absolute scam girls sit at your table hardly talk to you then order drinks for themselves on your bill. We bailed after 15mins and only paid for our beers.
    I am going to have a better look around this time and have been told of other areas to hangout at night for a beer. I found the food to be great also in Vietnam cant say I had a bad meal in Thailand either.
    Just good to mix it up a bit, I go to Bali fairly regular also having been there 3 times this year its good to go elsewhere.
    bacwaan and Ian Forbes like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    My wife absolutely loved when they called her Madam in Laos
    The thing is, and I think so also, the Laos people are so sweet, it comea off so sincere

Quote Originally Posted by joca View Post
    Thanks bacwaan i went to HCMC last year most of massage girls on bui vien street in district 1 offer massages with extras but this area is a total tourist trap. I went to a bar along this street with a couple of english blokes called Crazy Girls absolute scam girls sit at your table hardly talk to you then order drinks for themselves on your bill. We bailed after 15mins and only paid for our beers.
    I am going to have a better look around this time and have been told of other areas to hangout at night for a beer. I found the food to be great also in Vietnam cant say I had a bad meal in Thailand either.
    Just good to mix it up a bit, I go to Bali fairly regular also having been there 3 times this year its good to go elsewhere.
    All the setups are slightly different across Asia, and IME you need to quickly work out the setup and either embrace it or move on.

Some of the bars in Bui Vien street can be fun, although a lot of hard drugs around, so I moved on a couple of times as didn't want to get caught up in anything. Bottom of Pasteur Street is a similar setup re hostess bars, but really just the same again, yet more expats/business people rather than younger (and older) backpackers. You might want to check out Apocalypse Now bar. I had a sticky nose in there a couple of nights ago...some of the girls were stunning, but I only stayed for one drink...smoke was overbearing, and that is saying a lot in Asia!
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joca View Post
    We went to a beauty salon place somewhere in district 1 and got a decent service in one of those hair shampooing chairs for not much.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

All the setups are slightly different across Asia, and IME you need to quickly work out the setup and either embrace it or move on.

Some of the bars in Bui Vien street can be fun, although a lot of hard drugs around, so I moved on a couple of times as didn't want to get caught up in anything. Bottom of Pasteur Street is a similar setup re hostess bars, but really just the same again, yet more expats/business people rather than younger (and older) backpackers. You might want to check out Apocalypse Now bar. I had a sticky nose in there a couple of nights ago...some of the girls were stunning, but I only stayed for one drink...smoke was overbearing, and that is saying a lot in Asia!
    Bill and I went to some bars he knows in HCMC.
    I can't recall where they were
    A cluster of 3 or 4 bigger bars with girls

But they seemed more hardcore than your usual Thai BG

So wouldn't interest me

Overall, I am not a fan of HCMC
    I much prefer Hanoi

Funny enough the 1st time we went I liked HCMC and Ao preferred Hanoi

Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    So if you dont see yourself as middle aged do you see yourself as old or young?
    I still think of myself as young... for me... as long as I can still run faster than the postman, then I am still young... 55

Actually I asked my dad (who has dementia) how old he thought I was... he said, about 35 aren't you? So that's good enough for me... 55

But seriously does any one of us actually think of themselves as "old"? I doubt if even Mr Forbes does...
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Quote Originally Posted by Tingtong View Post
    Here I get called "boss" a lot... is that a polite version of "ya old cnut? ..55

I still think of myself as young... for me... as long as I can still run faster than the postman, then I am still young... 55

Actually I asked my dad (who has dementia) how old he thought I was... he said, about 35 aren't you? So that's good enough for me... 55

But seriously does any one of us actually think of themselves as "old"? I doubt if even Mr Forbes does...
    Well I think people are just much "younger thinking " these days

I think our parents thought of themselves as old(and acted it) in their 40's where guys like Nelson and Dupree don't consider themselves old in their 60's and certainly don't act it
    Distantpeak likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Well I think people are just much "younger thinking " these days

I think our parents thought of themselves as old(and acted it) in their 40's where guys like Nelson and Dupree don't consider themselves old in their 60's and certainly don't act it
    Probably right.... it does seem like a generational thing... we never grow up... 55

I wonder what the new generation will be like as they age...

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    I hardly ever get drunk these days especially if I'm in Los without my wife. I do bumb shit when drunk. My wife trusts me to go to Los alone and I don't want to do something I would regret later. I guess I don't trust myself....555

Even in Perth these days I don't drink a lot. I enjoy my days and as I'm getting older my hangovers seam to take more effect.
    Simple answer to hangovers...stay drunk!! ..works for me
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    With this age thing if you think you are not old you lot are just in denial. You are a bunch of perverted old men chasing young girls......555
    Distantpeak and bacwaan like this.

With this age thing if you think you are not old you lot are just in denial. You are a bunch of perverted old men chasing young girls......555
    And because you are so fit, you caught one, while the others are still chasing.
    Distantpeak and OZZYGUY like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Bill and I went to some bars he knows in HCMC.
    I can't recall where they were
    A cluster of 3 or 4 bigger bars with girls

But they seemed more hardcore than your usual Thai BG

So wouldn't interest me

Overall, I am not a fan of HCMC
    I much prefer Hanoi

Funny enough the 1st time we went I liked HCMC and Ao preferred Hanoi
    Hanoi is a much nicer city, a lot to see and more relaxed. Whereas HCM is more aggressive, and its all about making money wherever you go.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    I don't do any chasing..believe me...and I am not under any delusions as to why...555

also I don't really give my age much thought...sometimes physically sure when I notice that I am not as quick huffing it up a hill as I used to be...but that only gives me a chuckle..I don't beat myself up for it...just try to add a bit more distance to mys wims...555

I have had quite a few people I know die lately..plus a few mates back in AUS who have serious health issues, one just had a kidney transplant, one had his chest ripped open and 4 new valves + a pacemaker added and another is in hospital waiting on a heart donor...so I don't plan to start acting like an old fart just yet....I'm gonna keep on enjoying myself where I can..I have no problem dying disgracefully...555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    I don't do any chasing..believe me...and I am not under any delusions as to why...555

also I don't really give my age much thought...sometimes physically sure when I notice that I am not as quick huffing it up a hill as I used to be...but that only gives me a chuckle..I don't beat myself up for it...just try to add a bit more distance to mys wims...555

I have had quite a few people I know die lately..plus a few mates back in AUS who have serious health issues, one just had a kidney transplant, one had his chest ripped open and 4 new valves + a pacemaker added and another is in hospital waiting on a heart donor...so I don't plan to start acting like an old fart just yet....I'm gonna keep on enjoying myself where I can..I have no problem dying disgracefully...555
    I recall you outdrinking me one night on my first trip. Sure I started earlier but beers don't count. You only get serious when the vodka sodas start coming out.

Yeah I wouldn't worry about the age thing just yet 55.
    bacwaan likes this.
    Anything worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน

A man has to know his limitations. 555

I've been seeing a Taiwanese woman the past few days. She is not young (she has a 31 year old daughter) but appears much younger than her numerical age. She is attractive, slim and delicate, but physically fit. She calls Cairns in Australia her home, but she is visiting friends here in Chiang Mai. She has not had a chance to see much of Chiang Mai and asked me if I would show her around. Her friends here don't drive or ride motorbikes.

Today, I showed Lyn a bit of the lower part of Doi Suthep and a few of the easier trails the mountain has to offer. The funny part was riding through Chiang Mai to get there. We had to go through 3 separate police checks where the boys in brown were hoping to fine tourists... and locals silly enough not to have helmets and other documents. Luckily, I have a current driver's license and other papers. The police were thorough, but polite.

I KNOW I'm not young, but as long as I can still do 80% of what I enjoy I'll accept that.
    Distantpeak likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123