Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: New old member

Cadet silver

New old member

Hi all

Not exactly a new member but might as well be as haven't been on the forum for a few years. I used to be quite active on a few forums but most seem to be either dead or dying these days. Good to see this one is still going. Heres a little recap for anyone thats interested.........

I live in the UK with my Thai wife and our son. I've been with my wife for 10 years, married for 9 and our boy is now 6 years old. Life is pretty good at the moment. We just bought a new house and this week my wife applied for her Indefinite Leave visa. It'll be a few months before we hear the outcome but all going well it should mean no more ridiculous visa fees for us. As soon as she has her ILR she will apply for citizenship then hopefully we'll never have to worry about visa's again. My wife is doing well at work and is Chef de Partie for a national Thai restaurant chain.

We still try and make it over to Thailand every year. Our latest trip was in April. We were over for three weeks. These days we usually spend a week in Isaan, split between my wifes home town (MahaSarakham) and Kaeng Sanam Nang which is technically in Korat but closer to Chaiyaphum. The rest of the time we spent in Chiang Mai as my wifes sister lives there. We only started going to Chiang Mai on our last couple of trips but I've really fallen for the place.

Anyway I'll try and make an effort to contribute wherever I can

Cheers

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cippy's Avatar
    Welcome back!

Nice to hear positive stories. Been hearing a few lately. I am working on a research or seismic vessel at sea and there are four including me that have Thai wives and/or live in Thailand. 555

My father in Law lives part time in Maha Sarakram, we just spent some time there in July.

I would love to hear more. My wife daughter and I Live in Los Angeles area. We seem to be thriving as well.

I think the traffic is slowing here as well, but there are a group of core members that are decent folk, good for a interesting conversation.
    Last edited by Cippy; 15th August 2019 at 08:11.
    toddmeister likes this.
    Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. M.T.

Cadet silver
    Thanks Cippy

My father in Law lives part time in Maha Sarakram, we just spent some time there in July.
    We only spend 2 or 3 days there. My wifes mother lives in Sarakham but she is in a home for the elderly. No other family are left there. I do like the place though. Not too big but not as "baanok" as other places I've been to in Isaan. Defo needs a farang bar to escape to for a few beers during the day. Not sure how much demand there is though. I've seen a couple of farang around the plaza and it has a decent size University so I'm sure there will be a few farang teachers around but I've yet to find a decent bar.

We also have to fit in a few days in Kaeng Sanam Nang as thats where my wifes 18yo daughter lives.

To be honest a week in Isaan is pretty much all I can take before the boredom starts to creep in. I think thats why I like Chiang Mai so much. The wife can happily go to see her sister and I get some time to do my own thing. I was surprised how strict they are about opening hours and things there though? Being used to the likes of Patong I find it strange not being able to go out for mid-afternoon beer when I fancy it. Way too many coffee/cake shops too. I guess thats what we get for choosing to stay around Nimman though

Quote Originally Posted by toddmeister View Post
    To be honest a week in Isaan is pretty much all I can take before the boredom starts to creep in. I think thats why I like Chiang Mai so much. The wife can happily go to see her sister and I get some time to do my own thing. I was surprised how strict they are about opening hours and things there though? Being used to the likes of Patong I find it strange not being able to go out for mid-afternoon beer when I fancy it. Way too many coffee/cake shops too. I guess thats what we get for choosing to stay around Nimman though
    I feel you there! We spent 19 days in Isaan in July. We just picked up our car that the FiL has in Sarakhram, then headed up to the wife's village in Loei. It was excruciating after a few days. 555 Probably more so for me since I lived there for a very long, dramatic year and I have little Tolerance for the heat, sitting on the floor and all the drama. Until recently there was not even a 7-11. I probably would not have survived it if they had not built the first resort in the area, so I could retreat to the air-con and quiet.

The payoff was 8 nights at the beach! I think next time we will go straight to the beach and bring the wife's immediate family down.
    Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. M.T.

Cadet silver
    The payoff was 8 nights at the beach! I think next time we will go straight to the beach and bring the wife's immediate family down.
    Sounds like a plan. I do miss Patong sometimes. Phuket was always my first love as thats where my Thai story started with my first trip back in 2008. We have been back a couple of times since having our son. But in all honesty it's a totally different holiday for us now compared to how things used to be. Not really much there for us anymore. All of the ex-pat mates I'd made there have since moved on too. God I miss those days sometimes lol

Sounds like a plan. I do miss Patong sometimes. Phuket was always my first love as thats where my Thai story started with my first trip back in 2008. We have been back a couple of times since having our son. But in all honesty it's a totally different holiday for us now compared to how things used to be. Not really much there for us anymore. All of the ex-pat mates I'd made there have since moved on too. God I miss those days sometimes lol
    Me too! We spent a day at Jungceylon when it was raining and passed through Patong a couple times. I felt reminiscent, but a board member here you may remember, Khun Chob, was telling me that its not really like the old days anymore. Not as cheap, not as charming and welcoming, not the party it once was. Maybe with the tourism collapse it will improve, but I guess we family men can't look back anyway. 555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Welcome back Toddmeister and as Cippy said great to hear positive story.

A lot of people fall for Chiang mai including me.

Im back in CM in November been going about 7 years several times a year, however these days Im down to once a year.
    toddmeister likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Welcome back.

Hope everything works out.
    toddmeister likes this.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    Nice update Todd
    toddmeister likes this.
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Welcome Todd

I don't know you wife's background but I think any Thai from a poorer background should try and get into culinary school in Thailand
    The jobs for Thai chefs are abundant all over the world
    We know many Thai chefs in Vancouver who have done really well
    toddmeister likes this.

Cadet silver
    Thanks Marc

Yes she's done very well for herself. But she's grafted for it. Her first job over here was cleaning for a few hours a week in a bookies. She then started helping out at a pub which had a thai restaurant attached to it. Firstly preparing vegetables, washing up etc. Basically started at the bottom and worked her way up. She's moved around most of the Thai restaurants in our area and has learned from each. Some good some very bad. The company she works for now is great. It's a national chain restaurant so totally legit, taxes, paid holidays, pension etc which is almost unheard of in the restaurant trade. She's making decent money too but like I said she works hard long days for it.
    Last edited by toddmeister; 16th August 2019 at 03:58.

Thanks Marc

Yes she's done very well for herself. It she's grafted for it. Her first job over here was cleaning for a few hours a week in a bookies. She then started helping out at a pub which had a thai restaurant attached to it. Firstly preparing vegetables, washing up etc. Basically started at the bottom and worked her way up. She's moved around most of the Thai restaurants in our area and has learned from each. Some good some very bad. The company she works for now is great. It's a national chain restaurant so totally legit, taxes, paid holidays, pension etc which is almost unheard of in the restaurant trade. She's making decent money too but like I said she works hard long days for it.
    That's great.....good for your wife!

The chefs we know here in Vancouver went to culinary school in Thailand and then initially worked at the big hotels in Thailand for experience and then were able to get jobs overseas after
    Some worked in Dubai and other places

My wife worked as waitress in 2 Thai restaurants in Vancouver
    She didn't have the benefits that your wife does but she made extremely good money
    She'd made around 90k baht/mo but she worked most nights and now this time she may work at the restaurant again but only some lunches and a few nights/week

My wife also started cleaning when she got to Vancouver
    We put up an ad in our apartment building for cleaning services and the 1st call she got was from a management company that had 100's of apartments! They paid her really well and she liked cleaning because she could do her own thing
    toddmeister likes this.

Cadet silver
    The chefs we know here in Vancouver went to culinary school in Thailand and then initially worked at the big hotels in Thailand for experience and then were able to get jobs overseas after
    Some worked in Dubai and other places
    I'm sure having a background in food and proper training goes a long way toward getting a good well paid chef job but it seems a little different over here. It's much more about contacts and word of mouth. Every job my wife has had has come from contacts she's built up by moving around different restaurants. I think she's been working long enough now and knows enough people that she will always have options should she wish to move on and develop herself further.

My wife worked as waitress in 2 Thai restaurants in Vancouver
    She didn't have the benefits that your wife does but she made extremely good money
    She'd made around 90k baht/mo but she worked most nights and now this time she may work at the restaurant again but only some lunches and a few nights/week
    Yeah working in the restaurant trade isn't exactly family friendly. Before we bought our new house earlier this year my wife was working on average 4 or 5 days a week but they were often 12hr days. She would finish around 10pm and I would pick her up as her restaurant is a 25min drive away and she doesn't drive. I also work full-time so after work I was picking our son up, looking after him and then going out late to get his mom from work. If we were lucky she would get one day off over the weekend so we could do something but during the week we barely saw each other as we were both working so much. The only reason we did this was because we had to save as much money as possible to allow us to move house.

Now that we have the house sorted things have improved massively and the pressure is off. She now only works three days per week (around 30hrs) sometimes four if they need help but she has fixed her days and doesn't work Saturdays which means we can have a family day out every week. Its all very well making good money but for us it's now more important to have a good balance between work and family time
    retdent likes this.

Now that we have the house sorted things have improved massively and the pressure is off. She now only works three days per week (around 30hrs) sometimes four if they need help but she has fixed her days and doesn't work Saturdays which means we can have a family day out every week. Its all very well making good money but for us it's now more important to have a good balance between work and family time
    As a waitress my wife can make 200cad/day......sometimes more and so she is always tempted to work so much because the money is being dangled
    But as you said.........needs to be a balance
    Ours wasn't as bad as yours because we live downtown, also didn't have a young child
    So even if she worked weekends nights I would meet her and go out after work

COngrats on the house
    toddmeister likes this.

Cadet silver
    COngrats on the house
    Thanks. It's been a long slog. The house prices in our area dropped dramatically in recent years (I lost 30% over 10 years on mine) due to landlords buying up lots of the properties around us and putting in "benefit tenants" which have no respect for the area or homes they live in. The landlords don't care as the government pays the rent direct to them, not the tenant. As a result it left me with a large deficit on my mortgage vs our selling price. In the end it took two years to sell, and only after we managed to save enough to drop our asking price enough sell, but still have enough in the pot to pay the deficit on my mortgage and still have a deposit for the new house.

Anyway we're out of it now and it finally feels like we can start looking to the future again. Rough plan is once we're fully settled in the new house we'll start building our savings again and maybe eventually look to buy a property in Thailand too. Plenty of time fo rthat though as we're both still many years away from retirement

Thanks. It's been a long slog. The house prices in our area dropped dramatically in recent years (I lost 30% over 10 years on mine) due to landlords buying up lots of the properties around us and putting in "benefit tenants" which have no respect for the area or homes they live in. The landlords don't care as the government pays the rent direct to them, not the tenant. As a result it left me with a large deficit on my mortgage vs our selling price. In the end it took two years to sell, and only after we managed to save enough to drop our asking price enough sell, but still have enough in the pot to pay the deficit on my mortgage and still have a deposit for the new house.

Anyway we're out of it now and it finally feels like we can start looking to the future again. Rough plan is once we're fully settled in the new house we'll start building our savings again and maybe eventually look to buy a property in Thailand too. Plenty of time fo rthat though as we're both still many years away from retirement
    How old are you and what do you do for work? If you don't mind me asking

Do you have a big Thai community that your wife hangs out in? Or just too busy?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Welcome back to the forum, toddmeister. Good discussion, although it is covering 5 or 6 topics at the same time.

I'm a retired Canadian who lives on Vancouver Island, but I spend my winters in Thailand, and have been doing that for over 20 years. I call Chiang Mai my winter home, but I travel all over Thailand, and mostly by motorcycle. I'm more of a mountain person than a beach person.
    toddmeister likes this.

Cadet silver
    How old are you and what do you do for work? If you don't mind me asking

Do you have a big Thai community that your wife hangs out in? Or just too busy?

No probs. I'm 39, my wife is 35. I work for an electrical wholesaler selling to the trade. I primarily work in sales as an account manager but as part of the business I also design fire alarm installations

My wife has had many Thai friends since moving over in 2011. Some very good ones and some not so good. As you will know there can be many issues amongst the ladies with jealousy, bitching etc. One of her closest friends opened her own Thai restaurant and when it was well enough established my wife agreed to go and work for her. This unfortunately ruined what was a good friendship. These days she is much more careful about who she chooses to be friends with. She is part of quite a large circle of Thais but she only has maybe two or three very close friends that she spends time with outside of work. We are lucky that her best friend lives within walking distance from us. She is a single mom and has a daughter same age as our son so they have become very close and help each other out a lot with the kids etc.
    Rivo and Ian Forbes like this.

No probs. I'm 39, my wife is 35. I work for an electrical wholesaler selling to the trade. I primarily work in sales as an account manager but as part of the business I also design fire alarm installations

My wife has had many Thai friends since moving over in 2011. Some very good ones and some not so good. As you will know there can be many issues amongst the ladies with jealousy, bitching etc. One of her closest friends opened her own Thai restaurant and when it was well enough established my wife agreed to go and work for her. This unfortunately ruined what was a good friendship. These days she is much more careful about who she chooses to be friends with. She is part of quite a large circle of Thais but she only has maybe two or three very close friends that she spends time with outside of work. We are lucky that her best friend lives within walking distance from us. She is a single mom and has a daughter same age as our son so they have become very close and help each other out a lot with the kids etc.
    When my wife 1st came to Vancouver and didn't work yet she was meeting Thai girls who came to Canada with Canadian guys and there were all sorts of issues, jealousy and such.
    But once she started working she met Thais(guys and girls) who were in Canada on their own and she stopped having issues
    There were no drama and jealousy issues
    My wife stays very far away from the overall Thai community here.........she has no interest in meeting any Thai's outside her group of friends because she thinks too much drama

Her best friends in Vancouver are two Thai male chefs........she loves them to death and they love her. They couldn't care less about what my wife has or they have or don't have
    toddmeister likes this.

Cadet silver
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    Welcome back to the forum, toddmeister. Good discussion, although it is covering 5 or 6 topics at the same time.

I'm a retired Canadian who lives on Vancouver Island, but I spend my winters in Thailand, and have been doing that for over 20 years. I call Chiang Mai my winter home, but I travel all over Thailand, and mostly by motorcycle. I'm more of a mountain person than a beach person.
    Thanks Ian. I have always been into bikes too. On my last trip I rented a bike and rode the Samoeng Loop. I hadn't been on a bike for years so it was great to get out into the mountains. I plan on doing more riding next time we're over but I'll probably book a tour or something

Samoeng 2.jpgAttachment 16898
    Last edited by toddmeister; 16th August 2019 at 06:27.
    Rivo and OZZYGUY like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast