Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Sydney
  • 1 Post By justcruzing1

Thread: Bali 10 years on

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar

Bali 10 years on

I'm up early today and I am remembering those lost and injured in the terrorist attack in Bali ten years ago today. My partner at that time was working voluntary double shifts at Royal Perth Hospital helping the emergency team with life saving skin grafts for some of the burns victims.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    I recall the aftermath vividly, I started work about 5am on the Sunday morning, and a bloke came in to get supplies, and mentioned he heard on the radio an explosion in Bali, he said, they think it was some gas bottles. After finishing work a few hours later, I headed home and switched on the News to learn it was far greater and horrific than he had mentioned.

A bloke I had played footy with many years earlier died in the bombing. R.I.P Jason.

Prior to this I had been to Bali a few times , with the boys and the Ex, but had since gone to Phuket in 2002, and had waned off Bali, but this tragic occurrence fairly well made me decide not to go back there.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    Went to Bali a year or so after the bombing, although was not excited about the idea. Only went to Kuta once. Shopkeepers grabbing you and not letting go is right up there in things I hate. Enjoyed the holiday, but had little desire to go back. Then, after the Jimbaran Bay bombing at an area I had eaten at, don't think I will ever go back. So many beautiful places to see in the world, without exposing yourself to what to feels like a lax attitude and unwillingness to crack down on extremists.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    202 dead , 88 of them Australian ..... a sad and tragic waste of life. RIP

Hope we never see a similar or worse attack here in Australia
    Rivo likes this.
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    At the time of the bombing, i was being bomed on by my 2nd ex.
    1 month after I I was a mess and needed a holiday, I was going to go to LOS but unfortunatily changed as I thought sh1t they will need as many tourists as they can get as everyone will be running away from Bali.
    I arrived 1 month after the bombing.
    It was terrible, the bali people had nothing to do with the extreamlist that did the bombs yet they suffered terribly, everyone blackbaned them, I went against the Aust. gov they actually phoned me and said i sholdn't go!!!
    That only made me more detirmined to go, if i was to spend my money overseas, I knew they needed it more or as much as anywhere else.

In just 1 month 60% of businesses were closed, they relied on tourism and it had stopped dead.

I got ripped off and I knew, but didn't have the heart to object. These people were scared sh1tless their life was finished, due to some asholes that they had no conection with.

I tried to be a figure to show that we in Aust. had not deserted them, many were aprecitive, others just wanted the cash, and run.

I haven't been back, and doubt i will, Los is soo soo much better to me.

I think of the old song " I've been to Bali too" and say yes done that bought the T shirt.
    Sydney likes this.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

One of our tour guides had only just come back to work a year later. Been sitting in his village on the other side of the island for a year waiting for a recovery in tourism.

Tragic loss of lives and livelihoods.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

"True suffering is brief, but it lives on in your own thoughts".

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    .....what to feels like a lax attitude and unwillingness to crack down on extremists.
    In an interview yesterday the former head of Oz fed police said everyone involved with the 2001 bombings is either in jail or dead.......

I appreciate your attitude though

Steve
    X|0|0
    0|X|0
    0|0|X...relaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaax

Quote Originally Posted by BangkokSteve View Post
    In an interview yesterday the former head of Oz fed police said everyone involved with the 2001 bombings is either in jail or dead.......

I appreciate your attitude though

Steve
    Yes, probably a different way of dishing out justice, ala machete man in the khlong (humanan post).

Foundation Member Uber Star quiksilva's Avatar
    Good to see nothing did happen over night.
    My aunty and uncle are over now paid by the Aust. government.