Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cambo newbie help

Question Cambo newbie help

Hi all, need some advice from you guys on Phnom Penh, this will be my first ever trip so im really excited but sh@ting myself at the same time 55555

I need some insight on some areas

Visa's ? is it best to get one online before i arrive, if so whats the best website to obtain one

Hotels
    ive narrowed it down to 2 hotels in my price range
    River 108 Boutique Hotel (street 108)
    Monsoon Boutique Hotel (street 130)
    has anyone stayed at these hotels, are they any good ?
    should i stay closer to 104 bars or 136 bars ?

Nightlife
    which has the better bars, 104 or 136 ?
    or should i venture to both.

P.S sorry for the stupid newbie questions 5555

Cambodia's an easy place to visit, visa on arrival so long as you have US dollars. Check out the various trip reports Josh.

I like PP and would always stay on or near Sisowath Quay. I only ever tried Cali2 ... ok if on a budget - better to be had elsewhere for SFA more.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Interesting hotel choice 555 I am staying at the Monsoon in November, I considered Hotel 108 but is sold out for my dates which coincides with their water festival. I like the location of both hotels.

You're there for 5 days aren't you? Too long? Should be plenty of time to explore 2 streets! 555

If you are interested in nightlife, why are you staying 5 days in PP and only 3 in Pattaya?
    Last edited by Bawdy; 19th April 2013 at 02:53.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Visa on arrival unless you dont want a full page of your passport being stamped , and it will take 10 mins or longer to process.
    $10 max downtown in a taxi ( it was $8 bucks 2 years ago)
    I stayed City Central ( 3 times) and it was good.
    PP , well the part you want, is compact compared to many cities , you can walk between those streets easily in 10 mins , but use a rickshaw man in the night at least , they need the work , are polite and ensure your safety. ( and are a buck or two a ride)
    You'd need them for Walkabout ( plus Shang Hai and Heart of Darkness ) or Martinis, much further out , anyway.
    Dunno what else you need , PP is a user friendly little city and you'll have fun somewhere we probably cant predict. Ask at your Hotel for all the local ins and outs...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    I forgot to take a passport picture for my visa when I went a couple of years ago , so they charged me $21 instead of $20 ... 555

Newby
    I was in PP a couple of yrs ago for a few nights, visa on arrival is easy, just have passport photo and $20/25 USD (not sure of exact price now) , I was off plane got visa stamp through immigration , got bags and in a taxi all in 20 mins , was fast ,though it was the only plane that landed at the time , mayb longer if many planes there.
    When u get to visa desk hand them your passport with passport photo and visa forms that u fill out on plane, stand aside and your passport is passed down the line , to last window, that's where they will call out your name , u go up pay the money and your off to immigration to get in and then pick up bags, very easy system ,(unless it has changed in last couple of years ?)
    Both areas ok to stay as its easy to walk around or get rickshaws ,last time I stayed in 130 street many bars outside hotel entrance, I wil be there on May 11th , looking for a hotel now , will suss out the ones u have mentioned, though there are many there.
    Last edited by ThaiSabai; 19th April 2013 at 12:39.

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    I forgot to take a passport picture for my visa when I went a couple of years ago , so they charged me $21 instead of $20 ... 555

thanks guys for the help, most appreciated.

One more question.

Ive heard you can use american dollars over there. is it true ? or would it be better to use cambo money ?
    Last edited by josho; 19th April 2013 at 19:06.

US $'s are essential unless you hire a truck to cart Cambo riel's around ...

Make sure you take USD in small ($10) notes with you, don't wait to change THB/AUD until there, ok. ANZ atm's are everywhere though so you can pull cash out if necessary, better to use CC for big expenses and USD for everything else. You'll be given change in riel, @ approx 4,000 to the $.

BTW, why 5 nights in PP? Not going up to Siem Reap to see Angkor Wat?
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Yep, think he seriously needs to reconsider his itinerary!

BTW Cap, would it be better to change OZ$ to US$ in LOS or at home? I've heard the ANZ ATMs have some drawbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bawdy View Post
    Yep, think he seriously needs to reconsider his itinerary!

BTW Cap, would it be better to change OZ$ to US$ in LOS or at home? I've heard the ANZ ATMs have some drawbacks.
    Depends on the rate at which one can buy in Oz ... the $64,000 question!!! &&& And where one 'changes' in LOS.

SuperRich in BKK give excellent rates .. you can do the 2-way calc using data >HERE< and compare with your Oz bank rate.

CM has a SuperRich on Loi Khro but SK Money (50m from DUP) is better.

ANZ~atm's charge a fee and lousy FX rate. I only ever use 28Degrees for travel/internet purchases.
    Cheers, Rob.

Newby
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bawdy View Post
    Yep, think he seriously needs to reconsider his itinerary! .
    Hi Bawdy, is 5 nights too long in PP ? i am planning to do 2/3 nights , then go down to sihanoukville for at least a week maybe more? a mate was there (snookyville) in Feb only planned to stay a week then go to patts , but ended up staying 3 weeks there? i have no definate plans just arrive in BKK May 9th stay 2 days then PP May 11, then down sth, after that see what happens , then last 4/5 days in patts (i have 23 days in total.).

^ Well, I've never actually been to Cambo, I have cancelled 3 trips there but plan to go in November. I'm not really sold on Cambo at all (especially the girls), but will be happy to find out otherwise. For me, nothing compares to Pattaya, everything else falls short. I love exploring, but often return to Pattaya cursing the day I left 555 For my trip, I'm only gonna spend 1 night in PP. I'm a monger and I know I'm just gonna be disappointed with Cambo, but have to see for myself (from my online research, things are rapidly changing there). Plan to then visit Angkor Wat & Preah Vihear then North back into Isaan (Surin & Ubon). I think the key is to be flexible, if I hate Cambo, I'll just catch a taxi north to Surin quicksmart.

PS. thanks for the info Cap.

Nothing wrong with a couple of nights in PP ... just not much to see or do compared with SR/AW or snooky ..haven't been there. Read other TR's, VG and Chob have done far more than I, in Cambo.

Phnom Penh is an interesting little city, food is good, bit like Kohn Kaen, IMO ... but Josh will work it out and have a ball. Beer's good too!
    Cheers, Rob.

PP like KK, I think I'll skip it all together then 555 Seriously tho', I'm sure the girls are hotter in KK!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ThaiSabai View Post
    Hi Bawdy, is 5 nights too long in PP ? i am planning to do 2/3 nights , then go down to sihanoukville for at least a week maybe more? a mate was there (snookyville) in Feb only planned to stay a week then go to patts , but ended up staying 3 weeks there? i have no definate plans just arrive in BKK May 9th stay 2 days then PP May 11, then down sth, after that see what happens , then last 4/5 days in patts (i have 23 days in total.).
    This is a good plan , as far as Im concerned.
    About 3 nights and I felt I'd had enough of PP , its not that the people arent nice and the bars , if not wild , certainly fine laid back fun...
    Maybe thats the diff in my perceptions to Bawdys ... Im happy with a bar with some ambience , cool tunes , happy lady service.
    Certainly go to Snooky , a pleasant place , relaxed , AND a nice beach .... so nothing like Patts! 5555
    ( Some mongers BWO from PP baut...)

Honestly , grim rumours about Cambo are a so 90's , this is a pleasant ( but poor ) little country that will actually deliver more honestly that LOS.
    Did I mention that the beers at the BEST Riverwalk location in all PP , charge 30 baht an Angkor?
    Say no more.

^ Oh good, I can use my baht to buy beer in Cambo 555 I'm really only popping in to have a look see, will return for more if I like it. After being wowed by the Khmer ruins in Isaan, gotta see Angkor & Preah Vihear tho'.

Uber Star Foundation member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน vanguy77's Avatar
    I think if josho only has 5 days total, he needs to pick one city or the other. Phnom Penh is a great city, and I spent a full week there on the last trip and never lacked for anything to do ... or for companionship for that matter. With only 5 days tho, to try to see both cities would be a real rush, as almost a full day would be taken up with travel between the two cities, even by private car, if the road is still as chewed up as it was when I was last there. So with a round trip to Siem Reap and back, it would only mean 2 days in each city. I think Angkor Wat is a must-see, but maybe josho is not really into ancients sites, in which case, Phnom Penh has a lot more to offer.

As to the quality of nightlife, Bawdy is 100% right, it is no Pattaya. But for myself, I am really thankfull for that. There is something fresh and fun about Phnom Pehn ... especially on the Street 104 bars, where you can have a good time night after night. The girls are far more engaging and friendly then in most Thai bars, and they do not have that annoying Thai habit of having one girl mark you as her territory. In Cambo, they will flock to you (if you pick the right bar ... and you will know as soon as you enter the door), and then it is your choice who you show interest in. A lot of the girls are very happy with just lady drinks, so you can be surrounded by 6 or more girls all night if you do not mind a higher bar bill.

So 5 nights in PP would be absolutely no problem at all. I could see doing that and not moving far from 2 or 3 of the Street 104 bars! 555

My question, josho, is have you checked with both hotels to ensure that they are girl-friendly? Many of the smaller boutique hotels in PP are not, and those hotels I am not familiar with.
    [SIZE="3"]"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."
    Mark Twain
    [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by vanguy77 View Post
    ~
    My question, josho, is have you checked with both hotels to ensure that they are girl-friendly? Many of the smaller boutique hotels in PP are not, and those hotels I am not familiar with.
    All good points VG. I've done both cities: PP 2 nights - SR 2 nights - PP 1 night, which is doable as a first time tourist, not a bona fide Angkor enthusiast.

We liked Siem Reap and although very small it had a far cleaner, even friendlier feel to it. Pub street food and cheap beers ... fabulous! Next trip I'll drive in with my son from Surin to SR and not bother with PP, but I'm happy to have seen a little of PP as it is quite a pleasant historic and architecturally different city to anything in Thailand, including Khon Kaen.

Your last statement, quoted above, is important for Josh to note as he won't have any trouble attracting the ladies! He might need a tour guide though ....

Cheers, Rob.

Cap, how do you plan to go from Surin to SR (I will do the reverse in November). Do you plan to sample the Surin nightlife that I wrote about on PI?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast