Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: Going to Bali

Going to Bali

Looking at stopping off in Bali on the way to LOS next year, never been so would love to hear of any great places BMs have stayed and played.

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Patato head in Seminyak (Spelling??) well worth a visit.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Some hints - please check any facts presented as my memory may be a bit out..
    Remember there is an arrival tax ( $25 US IIRC) and Departure fee ( $20 ?) .
    In comparison with LOS , western food is cheaper , local food not so good anymore , and not cheaper.
    Good eating places for western food are located in a row on the beach at the Seminyak border with Legian in front of the Legian Beach Hotel.
    NEVER change money down alleyways and at the back of shops . Change it in banks and official change shops.
    When you are sick of the 10,000 shops selling the same crap , and needing an hour to make a deal , go to the Mata Hari Dpt. store in Kuta for a much wider range and good up front prices.
    Careful where you swim. Some dangerous currents , and never swim in a river mouth ( dirty water).
    If you rent a scoot , keep a small amount of rupiah ( say $2) in a seperate pocket. This is bribe money for the cops who will insist you should have got a local license.
    Traffic is very bad , avoid peak hours.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    To add to Chobs good advise.

When changing money you get a massive wad of notes, a $100 will get you enough to choke a horse.
    The street money changers give a bit better rate than the banks but they also short change you. They will give you lots of smaller denomination notes so you have so many you don't count it. They rely on this and are skimming 5% off.

Don't, under any circumstances, buy any drugs from all the dealers pushing in front of you all the time.
    They will sell to you, then their mate will follow you and report to the cops where you are and that you offered him drugs, he gets a reward from the gov. for putting you in.

If your there for a few days, get a private driver, talk to the hotel staff, pay a set rate for the day, and have him show you up in the hills.
    there are some great places, lots of hand made furniture factories, jewelry factories and temples, there is also a place with a view of a lake and mountains, sorry, have no memory of names.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Soupdragon's Avatar
    Take a stapler it comes in handy to staple all the lower denomination notes together to make wads that are worth something.

I always liked Sanur as a place to stay. A lot quieter than the Kuta area but close enough for a night out there.

Years ago , maybe visit #2 to Bali , I caught a guy 'flick' some notes onto his lap.
    I leaned over and pointed it out.
    He apologised very loudly and I became aware of 3 male 'staff' ( family or friends) immediately come and stand near the desk at the back of the shop.
    I asked for my $200 back , actually just took it off the desk and turned to leave the shop.
    He said , "But Sir , the things you pick , are you not buying?"
    I just smiled and walked.

Another thing was the rigged calculators that move a point sign or a zero.
    You should end up with say 550, 000 , for converting your currency , but the calculator says 505,000.

So always change round figures.
    1 dollar = 10,526 R
    Change multiples of 100 dollars so you can work it out in yr head ...or convert according to the sign with yr own calculator BEFORE you go in. Coverting $157 is asking for 'mistakes' ...Demand large denominations

JC is correct. A trip to Ubud in the hills is a lovely day. Taxis are cheaper than Phuket.

Quote Originally Posted by Soupdragon View Post
    Take a stapler it comes in handy to staple all the lower denomination notes together to make wads that are worth something.

I always liked Sanur as a place to stay. A lot quieter than the Kuta area but close enough for a night out there.
    In Sanur you will see houses with very large numbers painted on the walls.
    These are brothels that will answer the door after dark.
    You can just have a beer and chat .
    Im told a ST is 3k baht.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Soupdragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    In Sanur you will see houses with very large numbers painted on the walls.
    These are brothels that will answer the door after dark.
    You can just have a beer and chat .
    Im told a ST is 3k baht.
    It's been years since I was there but there was a few bars with girls that 'cater' for mongers but you had to get there earlyish or you were the 3rd or 4th customer. Bare in mind that the girls don't shower like Thai girls, I heard some horror stories from expats how they were literally stirring porridge Ughhhh.

Thats all changed SD.
    There are now Bars and clubs with FL s, but I cant recall the names mates told me.
    They claim the 'Number' places in Sanur are clean but not cheap..
    Blue "Something" Bar in Kuta?

I was there 2 years back , but with my tgf so I dunno really.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    justed crossed Bali off my list...getting way to old for that kind of nonsense...

Yep, thanks everyone, crossed off my list now also. An extra week in LOS will be better idea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    ^^^^ I agree......if you were rating them, Bali and LOS on a to do list LOS would be 1 Bali 10.

There are FL in many bars, there are brothels listed in the paper and known to all taxi drivers, there are even FL's riding around on motor bikes, just walk along the street at night and they will stop and ask if you want company. AND there are many LB's as well 5555

The prices are about the same as in Aust. but you get one for the night instead of the hour if a FL. the brothels were the same cost as Aust. so no great deal as the quality of service was way down.

The other thing I found was their cheap knock off clothes watches shoes etc were no where near as good as LOS. T shirts I bought had the stitching undone after 3-4 months and fading bad. Same with the shoes, 3 months and the soles were coming away from the uppers.

I'm glad I went once but no need to go again.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

And if I needed any further convincing , this from my travel agent "You would require a visa for Bali. You can obtain these on arrival at the airport however there can be a 4 hour wait and a lot of stress involved! So it is recommended you get one beforehand. If you would like, we can organise visas for you through our company Visa and Passports. If you opted for a visa on arrival the cost would be approximately USD$30 per person, the fee through Visas and Passports would be NZD$145 per person. ". No thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Foundation Member Uber Star quiksilva's Avatar
    Certainly a cheap getaway from Perth.
    My folks shoot off 4-5 times a year.
    Been 5 times - once with TGF.

Everything has been pretty much covered.
    Not sure about Mata Hari Dpt been any good now? I think it is Gallaria shopping centre is a bit like Jungceylon.
    The clubs are full of young aussies cutting loose.
    FLs scattered through them; Bounty, Sky Garden, Mbargo.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    Bali been there done that, had a good time, but after first trip to LOS, became irrelevant. AS QS says cheap from WA (Perth), but with the amount of people who go and brag about going, you would think they are talking about a holiday no one else has the chance to do, yet half of West Aussie are there at one time.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

Yes Im not trying to put you off by any means ..
    I got a Visa on arrival , took 10 mins and dont remember it costing even $30 AUS.
    My tg was free and didnt need one , Los is an ASEAN country.
    Balis got a very different culture and a pretty tolerant population , and great temples, monuments, volcanos etc. Actually more dramatic scenery and history than Hkt.
    Going over to Nusa Lembongan ( island) is like a visit to Phi Phi.

I'll go back again...
    I surf so I like that about it as well.
    MY tg thoroughly enjoyed it , cant say the same for her in Vietnam ...

Foundation Member Uber Star quiksilva's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    MY tg thoroughly enjoyed it , cant say the same for her in Vietnam ...
    Interesting to hear.
    I'm sure I will be back with the family and the TGF.
    If you hook onto a special from Perth. Return is as low as $160.

Visa on arrival. I give them $50AUD and get enough change to pay for the taxi.