Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: Cambodia: Anyone been to Phnom Phen or Sihanoukville?

Cambodia: Anyone been to Phnom Phen or Sihanoukville?

Out of all the conversations I've had in recent months with older expats while out drinking I've noticed a trend. Almost all of them when I asked if they thought the vibe of this place has changed agreed with me that it has. I then would ask what their alternative would be and they all said Cambodia saying its 10 years behind Thailand and that everything is about 1/3 the price and things are generally more laid back?

Can anyone elaborate on this?

Phnom Phen being compared to Bangkok

Sihanoukville being compared to Patong/Pattaya

Thanks for info
    Last edited by supmate; 22nd November 2013 at 22:16.
    A good night, the best in a long time
    A new friend turned me on to an old favorite

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    I was just there a couple of days ago....I don't do the this place vs that place thing...they are all unique...however happy to answer any questions

PP has an emerging feel about it...both from French Colonial and Khmer Rouge regimes...fortunately they have embraced the french with great avenues restaurants and cafes whilst moving on as fast as they can from the Pol Pot holocaust

you can get a decent (sort of Summer Breeze) style hotel for $27 up...I recommend California 2 on Sissowath Quay...BF at the hostess bars are usually $10 and girls from $25 up..FLs hang around Soraya Mall late at night and there are several decent clubs

Sihanoukville...some P4P going on up on Victory Hill and down at The lions complex in Occy...but its a bit ropey...Otres Beach is nice and Occy is OK but only go in high season...it is very prone to cyclones...we gave it a miss last week for this very reason..some decent cafes and a couple of clubs down here as well but don't think Patong..not even Samui or even Hua Hin here....its small

Have a look at this thread - Info site for Cambodia and in particular the satire/humor piece '7 Reasons Why You Really Shouldn’t Move to Cambodia' there's a lot of truth in there though it's written in satiric style

Unsure what is 'about 1/3rd the price'? Beer is cheaper. Food/restaurants in my exp not much different to this side of the border; if you want quality imported items they are not at all cheap.

10 years behind Thailand - maybe in some respects, like regular power blackouts, internet that makes dial-up look good, utterly corrupt police (worse than here). Cattle used as family transport - not seen an e-tan motrised buffalo there. Don't know if anywhere in this country has ever had months worth of garbage rotting in city streets - parts of PP smell permanently like the world's biggest dump/urinal/toilet - get away from the touristy parts around Sisowath Quay and there are dreadful slums and poverty far worse than anything this country has. Guns are less available, maybe due to economics, and a lot of crime involves knives/machetes - crime reports make good gory reading as generally involve people being hacked up rather than the Thai version of two or three bullets.

I still like to visit, we have friends living there - farang (barang) and Cambodian (and they'd love to be able to live/work/earn in Thailand), it's not a place I'd chose to live long-term.

Phnom Penh - less than 1km from Sisowath Quay

As per bacwaan, Jim at California2 is a good host it's an OK place to base yourself.
    For families (no ladies/'guests' permitted) Billabong is a good option
    Grasshopper Adventures (cycling) have half day and one-day rides, intersting way to see the counryside and chat to the local guides along the way

the best person to ask would be vanguy, he a did TR on it a year or 2 back

heres some links to his TR's

http://www.thai-dreaming.com/forums/...ports/2472.htm

http://www.thai-dreaming.com/forums/...ports/4093.htm

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Some of these 'obs' ring true Sup.
    50 US cent beers at fine places along the Riverfront ...whats that , 18 baht?
    Good rooms about the same as Hkt prices.
    Ladies that deliver the 'rock star' ego boost , 555.
    3 hours in a taxi ( PP to Sihanoukville ) the same cost as Hkt to Patong...

I really enjoy it there , but its very small...

Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    Some of these 'obs' ring true Sup.
    50 US cent beers at fine places along the Riverfront ...whats that , 18 baht?
    Good rooms about the same as Hkt prices.
    Ladies that deliver the 'rock star' ego boost , 555.
    3 hours in a taxi ( PP to Sihanoukville ) the same cost as Hkt to Patong...

I really enjoy it there , but its very small...

Thanks chob, exactly the reply I was hoping for
    A good night, the best in a long time
    A new friend turned me on to an old favorite