Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Moo Uaon

Thread: Treasure Hunting in Burma, Buddhist Style.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน

Treasure Hunting in Burma, Buddhist Style.

Good luck to them - but is it an expanded myth? like the WWII Spitfires search in Myanmar in recent years?
    With river course changes in 400+ years, it may not even be under water anymore, there could be buildings over the top of it in 2014

from that article:

More worryingly, having scoured Burmese literature for supporting evidence of the Great Bell he now has serious doubts as to whether it ever really existed.
    "I really hope that the bell is real, it would make me so proud of our country," he says.
    "But if we look at the three main Burmese history books written 200 years after the Bell sunk none of them mention it."
    earlier searches:

August 1 2012
    Singapore Firm to Help Raise Sunken Bell

From 1987 to 1998, the Burmese government and private individuals, including some foreigner prospectors, tried in vain to retrieve the bell, with poor visibility, silting, nearby shipwrecks and 400 years of shifting currents hampering progress.
    But this time, with US $10 million support from SD Mark International and the participation of a renowned British explorer and marine salvager, he is hopeful that the 18-month operation will prove successful.

I could see a bad novel titled " The Burma Boondoggle" being the only lucrative outcome in this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Bawdy , how does one go about volunteering to assist on 'digs' and are there any happening in Thailand or nearby at the moment?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    ^ Dunno, I was on a dig in Israel during the Gulf War (Beth Shan/Sythopolis in Jordan Valley, Roman/Byzantine city with large Theatre, Gymnasium & Hippodrome plus a large Bronze Age mound, they filmed the scene where Judas hangs himself in Jesus Christ Superstar here) easy to volunteer on digs there, have no experience elsewhere.

maybe another 400 years; a profitable con for some

Hope turns to anger as Dhammazedi Bell news dries up
    By Shwegu Thitsar | Friday, 12 September 2014

THE tide appears to be turning against those leading the expedition to raise the fabled Dhammazedi Bell.

The team announced on August 26 that it had located the bell at the bottom of the Yangon River but has since failed to offer up any evidence to support the claim, prompting some to question whether donors to the effort have been duped.

Adding fresh fuel to the fire, a spokesperson for the effort, U Kyi Win, confirmed to The Myanmar Times that the search had stopped all equipment would be returned to the government on September 18.

The team had requested K180 million to cover the initial expenses related to the search, and quickly raised K150 million from businesses and individuals.

The salvage effort began on August 9, with thousands of people watching on from the banks of the river. Less than three weeks later team leader U San Linn declared they had found their prize.

"After asking permission from all noble persons and saints, we definitively declare that we have found the Dhammazedi bell," he said in a statement.

Since then, however, the team has backed away from the claim. Prior to confirming they had stopped the search, rumours began spreading that the divers brought to Yangon from Kawthoung to hunt for the bell, reputed to have been the largest ever cast, had returned home, angering donors.

I donated to the project even though I dont have a lot of money, said U Aye Cho from Bago, who gave K100,000. We cant do anything about it now because we have already given the money. [U San Linn] said that he had opened a bank account for the donated money but we dont know if it is true I think the money has already been spent.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    I guess you can "dig it" from anywhere

Volunteering in Thailand with Earthwatch Doing Archeology
    Chob likes this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Good job Moo - exactly what I was looking for.

false alarm. Search called off

Photo shows the place where Dhammazedi Bell was searched. ( Photo-Kyi Naing/EMG)

24 September 2014
    The Dhammazedi Bell search team yesterday terminated its mission, after the failure to find the mystic bell in the past month.

San Lin, the team leader, announced that the search was over. The 400-year-old bell weighed nearly 300 tonnes.

San Lin has been heavily criticised in the past weeks for sparking false hopes. Weeks after the search began on August 8, he announced that the bell was found under the riverbed of the Yangon River. However, no further evidence was disclosed.

Thant Nyunt, a diver, on September 12 said that what they found was a shipwreck not the bell. Two days later, revered monk, Sayadaw Natsin Tayar, a member of Mon Literature and Culture Organisation as the spokesperson of the search team, said that San Lin should not have given the public a lie.

Tomorrow, another member of the search team, Win Myint, will host a press conference. San Lin is not expected to show up.

The search team earlier announced that well-wishers who provided the Ks 13 million fund to finance the search could retrieve their money. It was reported that none of them showed up to reclaim the money.
    Kyi Win, a member of the team, said that there are 132 of them.