Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Tokyo/India/Thailand thoughts.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar

Tokyo/India/Thailand thoughts.

I won't do a blow by blow TR but will post some thoughts on my trip....maybe others are interested to go to these places and gives you some insights.

I will compare prices and such to Thailand as i go along because that is what most of us commonly know.

My trip is:
    Tokyo 4 days
    Lamai 4 days
    India 6-7 days
    BKK 2-3 days

Tokyo
    I flew into Haneda which is the city airport and easier to get to Tokyo than the more common Narita Airport
    Immigration and baggage took 10mins to get through.
    I changed 300usd at airport at a reasonable rate, not great though. I have not seen any money exchanges around but know your hotel and banks will change money.
    Tokyo has a great bus system that drops you off at 2-3 different locations per bus. The stops are big hoyels and points of interest. It cost me 1200yen...about 320baht. Big new coach bus.

Tokyo is CHEAP!! Yes, cheap by any measure. All my life you hear how expensiveTokyo is and that couldnt be further from the truth. If comparing to Thailand drinking and eating may actually be cheaper in Tokyo!
    Beers are usually 400-500yen(100-120baht) but have paid 300yen(70baht) in about 25% of places.
    You can eat casual food like ramen or yakitori for 5-10usd(150-280baht) and the 10usd includes beers!

I even had Burger King last night and that was much cheaper than BK in Thailand.

Tokyo nightlife
    Tokyo is a big drinking culture, pub culture. People are out drinking all the time, every night.

Girls
    Wow.... I would say girls in Tokyo have caught my eye more than anywhere i have ever been. And for me it comes down to their style and dress. I'd say Thai girls are prettier as a whole in facial beauty but i am a fashion guy and these girls are always dressed to impress everywhere they go. I am also a leg guy and every girl 25yrs and up is always in skirts, heels and stockings. And their hairstyles are sexy as hell.

P4P
    I know that is all anyone wants to know about 555
    They have a massive RLD called Kabukicho. You seen 100's of girls walking to/from their jobs but everything is behind closed doors and they have very little interest in farangs. The only ones after your business are the shady African touts. The Japan mafia touts that are everywhere never speak to you.
    So i couldn't tell you prices but i will say every girl walking in that area is a 10!! Just gorgeous.

There is a chain of English pubs called Hub with a good mix of foreigners and locals and just from the vibe, you could hook up with local Japanese girls with just a little Japanese. There is always groups of Japanese girls there drinking together

So that is the start. I loved Tokyo. I have all night here until a 12:25am flight to BKK then onto Lamai so get into Lamai bright and early.

Like Pete......i will post a bunch of pictures when i get back.

Looking forward to the beach and Lamai
    Last edited by MarcTwoSix; 24th March 2015 at 10:11.

Cadet Gold
    Mind sharing which hotel you stayed? Im planning to go with the weak Yen

So P4P unless you know a local is probably impossible to participate in? Probably easier just trying to chat up local girls for a hook up by the sounds of it? I've heard from others that there is quite a strong gang culture in Japan.. did you see much evidence of that? Or did you feel pretty safe everywhere?
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
    Mind sharing which hotel you stayed? Im planning to go with the weak Yen
    My friend is a big Hilton member so we stayed at Tokyo Hilton the 1st 2 nights
    10 minutes from biggest subways station, Shinjuku Station in a quiet business district 15min walk to busy area
    About 160usd for regular room

I am currently at Best Western right in the Kabukicho RLD but it is not seedy. Just as much normal things and bars about
    150usd with a good breakfast.

Tonight i just booked a room at a Japanese hotel that is nice and 10min walk to busy area and 10min walk to Shinjuku Station....85usd/nt
    I am leaving there at 9pm for my my flight. Just wanted a place to situate
    Last edited by MarcTwoSix; 24th March 2015 at 11:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    So P4P unless you know a local is probably impossible to participate in? Probably easier just trying to chat up local girls for a hook up by the sounds of it? I've heard from others that there is quite a strong gang culture in Japan.. did you see much evidence of that? Or did you feel pretty safe everywhere?
    The mafia is the Yakuza and they are all over Kabukichoa.....standing right in tge the streets and don't even give you a 2nd look......safe as can be.

Two best places in Shinjuku.....totally authentic.

I will post photos later of these.

Golden Gai.....series of small lanes with little tiny bars....probably half as big as a soi beer bar.
    Really fun.

Memory Lane/Yakitori Alley/Piss Alley.....it is called all 3 of these. Just like Golden Gai it is a series of small lanes with tiny Yakitori grill bars. Really good........plenty of skewers and 3 or 4 beers will run about 25usd........800baht or so

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Re P4P I found a similar thing in Nagoya re Gaijin , my hotel was in the centre of the RLD , but I was not approached or did the touts try to get me inside the clubs

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post

Memory Lane/Yakitori Alley/Piss Alley.....it is called all 3 of these. Just like Golden Gai it is a series of small lanes with tiny Yakitori grill bars. Really good........plenty of skewers and 3 or 4 beers will run about 25usd........800baht or so
    Funny....I remember recommending YA to you many years ago back on PI when you were thinking of a stop in Tokyo..glad you made it..its one of my favourite places in Tokyo

BTW..still no rain here but some nice breeze and partial cloud cover at times during the day...has bought the temperature down...still great for the beach and swimming...even better for scootpootles

Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    Funny....I remember recommending YA to you many years ago back on PI when you were thinking of a stop in Tokyo..glad you made it..its one of my favourite places in Tokyo

BTW..still no rain here but some nice breeze and partial cloud cover at times during the day...has bought the temperature down...still great for the beach and swimming...even better for scootpootles
    The forecast said rain everyday i am there but looked like just showers
    Fine by me if it is just that....forced relaxation

I am going to have the taxi drop me off at the scoot place from airport....this way i have it already
    See ya tomorrow

1 more visit to Yakitori Alley before my flight 555
    bacwaan likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    Interesting TR so far but sounds like an exhausting schedule. Always liked the idea of going to Japan but thought it might be too hard with language barrier.
    Have a good trip Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Tingtong View Post
    Interesting TR so far but sounds like an exhausting schedule. Always liked the idea of going to Japan but thought it might be too hard with language barrier.
    Have a good trip Mark
    I suffer from a bit of ADD......so find it hard to stay in one place for too long and i dont mind flying

There is definitely a language barrier but easy enough to get by
    We hung out with some Japanese we met ar bars two different times and they spoke very little English but we got by
    Bought us beers too!! 555

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    The forecast said rain everyday i am there but looked like just showers
    Fine by me if it is just that....forced relaxation

I am going to have the taxi drop me off at the scoot place from airport....this way i have it already
    See ya tomorrow

1 more visit to Yakitori Alley before my flight 555
    bright sunshine outside as I write...but no rain here for 2 months..I doubt whether you will see any...but hey, its the weather....as I said there are clouds and a nice breeze about..very pleasant

OK...maybe do a ride down south tomorrow...a longtail out to snorkel with the fishes and a late lunch on the west coast...give me a call once you are in and settled..no sign of Jim as yet

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    I suffer from a bit of ADD......so find it hard to stay in one place for too long and i dont mind flying

We hung out with some Japanese we met ar bars two different times and they spoke very little English but we got by
    Beer, the International Language 5555

My final thoughts on Japan...

I am sitting in a coffee shop relaxing facing the door.
    Every single girl that walks in as at the very least cute if not very attractive and they all dress so god damn nice!
    I can't stress enough how attractive the girls are here.

I don't like to use the word disappointing because i loved the city and will he back very soon because my wife would love it and wants to see it. But i guess i was disappointed that Tokyo isn't as alien or exotic as i thought it would be.
    It is really like NYC
    I guess because it is so orderly and clean that it doesn't have that hectic choas like most big Asian cities.
    But i think a big thing is Vancouver really is like a little Tokyo.....hell we have a ramen place and an Izakaya right across the street from our apartment that are just as authentic as any place here.

Tokyo is a city i would be more than happy to live in but wouldn't be overly exicited to visit again......but i loved it my 1st time

I will be happy to get to the whacky and weird Thailand and India

I am still amazed at how cheap Tokyo is. I changed 300usd and will head to the airport having spent 250usd in 4 days. And i drank a shot ton of beer and ate great!!

Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    bright sunshine outside as I write...but no rain here for 2 months..I doubt whether you will see any...but hey, its the weather....as I said there are clouds and a nice breeze about..very pleasant

OK...maybe do a ride down south tomorrow...a longtail out to snorkel with the fishes and a late lunch on the west coast...give me a call once you are in and settled..no sign of Jim as yet
    I signed up for Skype advanced.....so i can actually call your mobile from there....so easier to get in touch
    I am going to chill by pool for a bit early and will be up for anything after lunch. Will call you around 11-11:30am
    I am in your hands.....really up for anything
    bacwaan likes this.

Were these girls or guys buying you beer? If girls... then that's the best advert yet... especially as they sound so cute.. 555
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Japan really really interests me, and reading what you've wrote so far makes me more eager to go. Must check flights and prices

I have a feeling my interactions and attempts at Japanese would revolve around "Baka!", "Senpai?", "Kawaiiiii!", "Ja ne!", "Itadakimasu!" and furiously nodding "Hai! Hai! Hai!".

One thing I forgot to mention:

I have never seen so many young people out and about in a city like Tokyo.
    Half the people walking around are teenagers from 13-18
    Japanese parents certainly give their kids freedom

Sort of reminds me of the storyline in Babel with the deaf Japanese school girl and how her and her friends were always roaming around.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    bit of rain about in BKK...

FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedHoliday View Post
    Japan really really interests me, and reading what you've wrote so far makes me more eager to go. Must check flights and prices

I have a feeling my interactions and attempts at Japanese would revolve around "Baka!", "Senpai?", "Kawaiiiii!", "Ja ne!", "Itadakimasu!" and furiously nodding "Hai! Hai! Hai!".
    I was waiting to hear "Wakarimasu Anjin-San"
    ..... And anything about pillowing

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast