Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Cambodia: First They Killed My Father

Cambodia: First They Killed My Father

First They Killed My Father: A Daughter of Cambodia Remembers is a 2000 non-fiction book written by Loung Ung, a Cambodian author and survivor of the Pol Pot regime. It is a personal account of her experiences during the Khmer Rouge years.

From a childhood survivor of Cambodia's brutal Pol Pot regime comes an unforgettable narrative of war crimes and desperate actions, the unnerving strength of a small girl and her family, and their triumph of spirit.

Until the age of five, Loung Ung lived in Phnom Penh, one of seven children of a high-ranking government official. She was a precocious child who loved the open city markets, fried crickets, chicken fights, and sassing her parents. While her beautiful mother worried that Loung was a troublemaker—that she stomped around like a thirsty cow—her beloved father knew Loung was a clever girl.

When Pol Pot's Khmer Rouge army stormed into Phnom Penh in April 1975, Ung's family fled their home and moved from village to village to hide their identity, their education, their former life of privilege. Eventually, the family dispersed in order to survive. Because Loung was resilient and determined, she was trained as a child soldier in a work camp for orphans, while other siblings were sent to labor camps.

As the Vietnamese penetrated Cambodia, destroying the Khmer Rouge, Loung and her surviving siblings were slowly reunited. Bolstered by the shocking bravery of one brother, the vision of the others—and sustained by her sister's gentle kindness amid brutality—Loung forged on to create for herself a courageous new life.

Wiki

“You can’t claim heaven as your own if you are just going to sit under it.” ~Cambodian Proverb

Angelina Jolie Pitt to direct First They Killed My Father, Rithy Panh to produce.
    Phnom Penh Post, July 29, 2015

Hollywood actress and filmmaker Angelina Jolie Pitt – who is in Cambodia researching a film adaptation of Loung Ung’s Khmer Rouge memoir First They Killed My Father – yesterday visited Phnom Penh’s Tuol Sleng genocide museum and Bophana Centre.

Loung Ung was 5 years old when the Khmer Rouge stormed into her native city of Phnom Penh. Four years later, in one of the bloodiest genocide of the 20th century, some two million Cambodians – out of a population of seven million – died at the hands of the infamous Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge.

Among the victims were Loung’s parents, two sisters, and 20 other relatives.

In 1980, Loung, her older brother and sister-in-law escaped by boat to Thailand, where they spent five months in a refugee camp before relocating to Vermont through sponsorship by the US Conference of Catholic Bishops. Today, Loung has made over 30 trips back to Cambodia.
    wabbits, Mick and supersub like this.

Mixed Feelings as Jolie Starts Filming in B’bang

by Buth Kimsay and George Wright | February 12, 2016 | អានជាភាសាខ្មែរ

BATTAMBANG CITY – Curious locals and tourists crowded around block*ades set up this week around the downtown set of Angelina Jolie-Pitt’s latest film, “First They Killed My Father,” hoping to catch a glimpse of the star as she began shooting.

Antique cars are driven near the set of ‘First They KIlled My Father’ in Battambang City this week.

Despite the set being off-limits during the day, locals trickled in after dark to pose alongside props and wander the streets, transformed to resemble 1970s Phnom Penh.

A mobile phone shop had been transformed into a Chinese dental practice, a computer store was turned into a camera repair shop, and a brick building had become the Luxe Cinema, with 1960s- vintage cars lining the sidewalks.

Thouk Kong, 35, was among the hundreds of locals hired as extras for the film.

“I just came down here to register and they checked my appearance because they were looking for dark-skinned people like in the Khmer Rouge regime,” Mr. Kong said.

“I saw Angelina a few times and I felt so happy because she is so famous,” he said, producing a contract showing that he got paid $25 for a day’s work.
    Last edited by Hatari; 15th February 2016 at 17:39.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar

Cambodia is a horror of the past.
    Anything positive coming from that today should be celebrated.
    Some of us (Families) were affected in so many ways.
    Today, we celebrate the future and everything good it promises.

How I survived the Khmer Rouge: Cambodian activist Loung Ung

"I've done many things well and many things not well, but I've never not done things."
    wabbits and Quarky like this.

Khmer Rouge's takeover of Phnom Penh recreated for Angelina Jolie-directed film
    February 15, 2016 - 3:07PM

Cambodian actor Tep Rindaro played US-backed leader Lon Nol. Photo: Facebook

The moment sends a chill down the spine of many Cambodians.

Early on the morning of April 17, 1975, battle-hardened young fighters of the Khmer Rouge guerrilla army began silently filtering into the capital Phnom Penh, which had been besieged for five months.

Many city dwellers cheered, hoping it would be the end of a civil war that had cost half a million lives.

But it was to be the beginning of a four-year nightmare that left an estimated 1.7 million people dead from starvation, disease or execution as the Khmer Rouge emptied cities and tore up money in a disastrous attempt to create an agrarian utopia.

Now almost 41 years later, photos have emerged on the internet of a dramatic recreation of that day – stirring memories of the genocide – despite that the producers of the Angelina Jolie-directed movie First They Killed My Father kept paparazzi away from the set.

"Seeing these scenes, remembering the true story during that regime … the pain and will never be forgotten," posted one Facebook user.

"It still haunts my memory, non-stop," posted another.

Beyond blockades manned by today's soldiers, the photographs taken by onlookers show black-clad and heavily armed actors arriving on trucks in Battambang, the country's second-largest north-western city.

The streets were lined with 1960s vintage cars, a computer shop had been transformed into a camera repair shop and a brick building had become a cinema.

Some of the actors were just boys – as were many of the Khmer Rouge in 1975.

Hundreds of extras hired to appear in the movie were paid $US25 a day in the impoverished country were the average income is $US940 a year.

The movie, produced for Netflix and shot in the Cambodian language and English, is an adaptation of a non-fiction book by Loung Ung, a childhood survivor of the Khmer Rouge era who was trained as a soldier in a camp for orphans.

Jolie says she was deeply affected by Loung's book and the movie will be "hard to watch but important to see".

She told Associated Press the intent of the movie is not to revisit the horrors of war but to bring to the screen characters that people worldwide will empathise with, and to help other people learn about Cambodia.

"What is special about this particular story is that it is told from the perspective of a five-year-old child, and is based on a child's emotional experience of war," she said.

"It sheds light not only on the experience of children during the genocide in Cambodia but of all children who endure war."

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Dazza's Avatar
    Gonna buy that book !
    wabbits likes this.

Put this here, some footage of how Phnom Penh was 70s, before Pol Pot and Khmer Rouge
    Rock and roll, hippies...

Sydney, Gazmac and Changone like this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    That looks interesting Hatari, would like to see that docu
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
    Put this here, some footage of how Phnom Penh was 70s, before Pol Pot and Khmer Rouge
    Rock and roll, hippies...

The documentary looks really good

Cambodian king to open Jolie's film on Khmer Rouge survivor
    15 Feb 2017

PHNOM PENH - King Norodom Sihamoni will preside over the premiere on Saturday of Angelina Jolie's film based on a memoir from a Khmer Rouge survivor.

Queen Mother Norodom Monineath Sihanouk and senior government officials will also attend the showing of "First They Killed My Father" at the centuries-old Angkor Wat temple complex, a spokesman for the government agency that oversees the archaeological site said Tuesday.

Jolie, who directed the Khmer-language film on location in 2015-16, is also scheduled to attend.

Two free public screens are planned at the site near Siem Reap in northwestern Cambodia.

The film is based on Loung Ung's account of her survival as a child under the 1975-79 communist Khmer Rouge regime, believed to be responsible for the deaths of 1.7 million Cambodians from starvation, disease and execution.

"When I said I wanted to make this film and I want to make it in Cambodia, everyone said: you can’t make it in Cambodia. You have to make it in Thailand, like The Killing Fields,” Jolie said.
    Roland Joffé’s 1984 film was Hollywood’s one major attempt to tackle the Cambodian genocide. It tells the story of a Cambodian photojournalist stranded after the evacuation of his western colleagues, who provide the western point of view for the audience.
    Jolie’s film makes no such concessions.
    There are no white characters to explain events in English and she is quite clear that the primary audience is the Cambodian public.
    The cast and crew are Cambodian.

The world premiere of First They Killed My Father will be held in Siem Reap on 18 February, seven months before its global release via Netflix. “I went to [Netflix] directly,” Jolie said, “because I want to make the kind of film where I don’t have to compromise and put a famous Chinese actress in as the mother, or make it in a different language in order to get people in the theatres on the first weekend.”

“I tried very hard to make a film that is not just about policies or politics or war,” Jolie said. “It is a film at its core about the Cambodian people and family, and love, and survival. I hope that there will be a sense of pride for the Cambodian people when they see it, about what they survived, and who they are.”
    Last edited by Hatari; 16th February 2017 at 18:22.
    Quarky and PeteGill like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post

Its a very good book and I read it before one of my visits maybe 5 years back.
    Read it again a year back.
    Loungs account is a kids one - thus she she doesnt analyse everything and is almost matter-of-fact about what quickly became her 'normal' world , and because she was the little 'toughy' of the kids in her family , she fights and scrambles and lies to keep her and her siblings going.
    Great read and look forward to the movie!

Addit: Oh , btw ... is it any wonder the Khmer Rouge could so easily empty PP out with the pretence that the US was going to level it with bombing when you see C1's photo above?
    These and the Laos were having the shit bombed out of them without any declaration of War - then the US scratched their heads when they turned communist !! Fcuk me ...
    Last edited by Chob; 19th February 2017 at 12:03.
    Quarky, Zablive, TLandHim and 1 others like this.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Life is the unexpected ...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar
    Looks interesting thanks.

Quarky likes this.

Fury in Cambodia as US asks to be paid back hundreds of millions in war debts

Half a century after United States B-52 bombers dropped more than 500,000 tonnes of explosives on Cambodia's countryside Washington wants the country to repay a $US500 million ($662 million) war debt.
    The demand has prompted expressions of indignation and outrage from Cambodia's capital, Phnom Penh.

Over 200 nights in 1973 alone, 257,456 tons of explosives fell in secret carpet-bombing sweeps – half as many as were dropped on Japan during the Second World War.
    The pilots flew at such great heights they were incapable of discriminating between a Cambodian village and their targets, North Vietnamese supply lines – nicknamed the "Ho Chi Minh Trail."
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    What tha ??
    Lend money to a puppet and demand it back AFTER he is overthrown and from all successive governments , then bomb the hell of a nation while never declaring war.
    And Cambodia " owes '' the US ??????
    bacwaan likes this.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    ^ I wonder what the Cambodian equivalent is of "tell 'im 'e's deamin' son"....
    Changone likes this.

PGC
    Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    What tha ??
    Lend money to a puppet and demand it back AFTER he is overthrown and from all successive governments , then bomb the hell of a nation while never declaring war.
    And Cambodia " owes '' the US ??????
    Standard form from the US. GB only finished paying off its debts from the lend lease fiasco in 2006

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast