Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By OZZYGUY
  • 1 Post By MarcTwoSix

Thread: Hotels in Hanoi vs Saigon

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar

Hotels in Hanoi vs Saigon

In my research for my 5 days in Vietnam next week I found that Hanoi has so many local boutique hotels whereas Saigon has much more big western style hotels.
    Obviously Saigon is a bigger city and more cosmopolitan but you would think they would also offer more nice boutique hotels.

Hanoi really does have so many great local boutique hotels.

Probably has to do with the real estate and buildings also.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Down south more westernised?
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

tuk tuk drivers in hanoi are total rip off merchants as are the cyclo drivers,and they can be nasty as well,worse than phuket !

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Is this the start of your report?

Being a few days early can we discuss flip flops 555
    Quarky likes this.

I also found the same and also in Hue and Hoi An lots of boutique hotels.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    In my research for my 5 days in Vietnam next week I found that Hanoi has so many local boutique hotels whereas Saigon has much more big western style hotels.
    Obviously Saigon is a bigger city and more cosmopolitan but you would think they would also offer more nice boutique hotels.

Hanoi really does have so many great local boutique hotels.

Probably has to do with the real estate and buildings also.
    Correct. Hanoi land is very expensive although building costs are low. This is evidenced by all the tall 3 and 4 storey new homes built on small narrow plots. And of course Hanoi's old quarter is where tourists want to stay so many hotels are narrow and often a renovated amalgamation of older homes or business premises.

Even outside the city one may still see tall homes amidst farmland .... looks kind of strange until you realise the land cost is high.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Quote Originally Posted by sateve View Post
    tuk tuk drivers in hanoi are total rip off merchants as are the cyclo drivers,and they can be nasty as well,worse than phuket !
    I'm renting a MB from my hotel plus I am staying right in the Old Quarter so will never need them.
    MB will be to just explore a little bit
    But going out at night......I will just walk where I need to go.

I had a taxi in Hanoi try to scam me for a lot.
    I took a long walk and got a taxi back but saw the meter skipping by a ton each time
    I was staying at the Metropole.....a big hotel
    I just got out when we pulled up.....threw him what I thought it should be and told the valets and they told him to beat it

What hotel did you end up booking

Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    What hotel did you end up booking
    Impressive Hotel
    The TA reviews are amazing and if I go by their correspondence they may be even better

Today I sent an email about an airport pick-up
    The girl, and everyone raves about her on TA......replied in 2 minutes at 1am their time!
    And it has been like that every time.

I picked it because although in the old quarter it is on a quiet, tree lined Street about 7-8minute walk to the center
    I always prefer my hotel to be a bit away from it
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    If you are staying close to the lake you are close enough to walk to just about anywhere you will probably want to go...it really is a walkable city and much more on a human level than HCMC...It's also much cooler up (albeit a bit foggy) there so usually pleasant enough walking weather as well...this time of the year is usually quite nice

I love its old fashioned "Frenchness"...you still see old boys ridding around on those big black "Hurricane" bicycles with a baguette sticking out of the front basket...and the streets which are dedicated to one kind of craft

Heck..I even like the water puppets 555

Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    If you are staying close to the lake you are close enough to walk to just about anywhere you will probably want to go...it really is a walkable city and much more on a human level than HCMC...It's also much cooler up (albeit a bit foggy) there so usually pleasant enough walking weather as well...this time of the year is usually quite nice

I love its old fashioned "Frenchness"...you still see old boys ridding around on those big black "Hurricane" bicycles with a baguette sticking out of the front basket...and the streets which are dedicated to one kind of craft

Heck..I even like the water puppets 555
    I've been before and know it's walkable
    I just like to have the bike to see a bit more
    I will probably just do it for a day
    We are on a cycling tour one day.....so think juts grab a MB for one day for 10 just to venture around