Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 76
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Manila

  1. #1
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    lOZt
    Posts
    2,621

    Manila

    I will be in Manila on business later in the year for a few days, and will have the weekend to explore. I don't think there is a thread in here covering Manila, so thought I would start one.

    I have heard many conflicting stories about safety, taxi scams, etc, but obviously you need to stay alert, as in most developing countries. I will be staying near the water (Convention Centre) for the weekend which I understand is a nice area, then Makati during the week (near New World Makati).

    Any tips appreciated, particularly any key things to see or do during the day.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

  2. #2
    Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Samui
    Posts
    8,845
    The area around the Convention Centre is quite nice if your hotel has a view of the harbour...The Walkabout pub is nearby and has buses to get outta town as quick possible....as I do whenever I'm in Manila...I can't think of one redeeming factor about the joint

  3. #3
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth, Cebu, CNX
    Posts
    6,708
    Manila is a sh1t hole, If you don't know Nomad my wife is Filipina but from Cebu in the south not Manila. They even try and stay away from Manila.

    As far as safety goes be VERY alert. Its not like LOS. Most of the taxi drivers lock the doors when you get in, if they don't I suggest you lock it. Its so someone doesn't jump in the cab and rob you. Keep a close eye on your bags at the airport and around the city. Keep an even closer eye on your wallet and phone.

    When in Manila I take off my jewellery. Its rather common for people to steel your watch or neckless especially around bus terminals and busy places. Catch metered taxis not local drivers and best not to catch busses unless your with a Filipino.

    Best to do your research on the places you want to go and don't ask taxi drivers advise.

    Subic Bay is a bay on the west coast about 100 kilometres northwest of Manila. Not a bad place but still a bit of a sh1t hole IMO, lots of bars and friendly lady's if that's your thing.

    When your getting around allow lots of time. On a good day the traffic is twice as bad as Bangkok. It takes a long time to get anywhere. Faster to walk sometimes.

    As far as what to do in the day I cannot help I have only been on business so working day time and a few short stop overs with the wife. I will ask her when she gets home from work.
    Last edited by OZZYGUY; 19th June 2016 at 11:41.
    Nomad and Ian Forbes like this.

  4. #4
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    .
    Posts
    12,399
    If you are on business in places like Manila, stay in five star (American style) places, and hire a trustworthy full time driver for when you have to leave the hotel. Save the holidaying
    for another time....
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

  5. #5
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth, Cebu, CNX
    Posts
    6,708
    Nomad a few places the wife recommended for daytime Manila activity's depending on what you like.

    Fort Santigo is a must if you like history and photography. The university of Santo Tomas is another and apparently the pope has been there a few times.

    If you like parks and some relaxing time the Rizal park is apparently a nice place.

    There is lots of old Catholic churches all over the city.

    If you like shopping Greenbelt mall in Makati is worth a visit as well as Robinsons. Malls in the Philippines are a great pic up place if your looking for company. Just take a seat, have a coffee, put a big smile on and they will come talk with you.

    Or just head to AC 555.
    Nomad likes this.

  6. #6
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    lOZt
    Posts
    2,621
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    Nomad a few places the wife recommended for daytime Manila activity's depending on what you like.

    Fort Santigo is a must if you like history and photography. The university of Santo Tomas is another and apparently the pope has been there a few times.

    If you like parks and some relaxing time the Rizal park is apparently a nice place.

    There is lots of old Catholic churches all over the city.

    If you like shopping Greenbelt mall in Makati is worth a visit as well as Robinsons. Malls in the Philippines are a great pic up place if your looking for company. Just take a seat, have a coffee, put a big smile on and they will come talk with you.

    Or just head to AC 555.
    Will be staying opposite Greenbelt for part of the trip. I will have to remember not to smile!
    Quarky and OZZYGUY like this.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

  7. #7
    Cadet Gold mechime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    340
    My X was from outside Manila, the Family used to sh*t when I went for walkabout, especially when I was wearing my Seiko; never got used to "Hi Joe" calls as all Falangs must be from U.S.A. To be truthful I used to catch buses and Jeepneys to get to Batangas pier for the trip across to Sabang but I made sure I looked like a hitch hiker; on my 1st such trip a young lady student showed me the right jeepney to get from the Town to pier and insisted on paying my fare and there was no come-on after. I have also paid for the empty seats, small change, on a jeepney rather than wait another hour for it to fill, much cheer from those waiting with me. If you are alone then venturing out to say Pagsanjan Falls would not be such a good idea.

  8. #8
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    lOZt
    Posts
    2,621
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    When your getting around allow lots of time. On a good day the traffic is twice as bad as Bangkok. It takes a long time to get anywhere. Faster to walk sometimes.
    According to the hotel driver, we had his worst experience in terms of travel time. Terminal 3 is a debacle. 15+ separate lanes across a few separate roads all converge into 3 lane exit from the terminal. We took 2 1/2 hours to clear the concourse! Nice first impression.

    I drive in BKK, but wouldn't be game to drive in Manila...game of chicken, similar to China, although I think even China is more orderly than Manila.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

  9. #9
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth, Cebu, CNX
    Posts
    6,708
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    According to the hotel driver, we had his worst experience in terms of travel time. Terminal 3 is a debacle. 15+ separate lanes across a few separate roads all converge into 3 lane exit from the terminal. We took 2 1/2 hours to clear the concourse! Nice first impression.

    I drive in BKK, but wouldn't be game to drive in Manila...game of chicken, similar to China, although I think even China is more orderly than Manila.
    Told you the traffic was wores than Bangkok 55

    I dont drive in the city and get the back seat in the buses if possible its just to crazy.



    Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    20,341
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    Manila is a sh1t hole, If you don't know Nomad my wife is Filipina but from Cebu in the south not Manila. They even try and stay away from Manila.

    As far as safety goes be VERY alert. Its not like LOS. Most of the taxi drivers lock the doors when you get in, if they don't I suggest you lock it. Its so someone doesn't jump in the cab and rob you. Keep a close eye on your bags at the airport and around the city. Keep an even closer eye on your wallet and phone.

    When in Manila I take off my jewellery. Its rather common for people to steel your watch or neckless especially around bus terminals and busy places. Catch metered taxis not local drivers and best not to catch busses unless your with a Filipino.

    Best to do your research on the places you want to go and don't ask taxi drivers advise.

    Subic Bay is a bay on the west coast about 100 kilometres northwest of Manila. Not a bad place but still a bit of a sh1t hole IMO, lots of bars and friendly lady's if that's your thing.

    When your getting around allow lots of time. On a good day the traffic is twice as bad as Bangkok. It takes a long time to get anywhere. Faster to walk sometimes.

    As far as what to do in the day I cannot help I have only been on business so working day time and a few short stop overs with the wife. I will ask her when she gets home from work.
    That is kind of the way I remembered it. Once was enough, Someone stole my bags off the bus when I was traveling from Angeles City to the airport near Manila. I got mugged for pennies. I had to get myself out of a sticky situation with my switch blade knife that I was prepared to use. I have lots of stories and most of them are true. Ladies were lovely and cheap, and all spoke good English, but it's not much fun having to watch your back all the time. In the two months I spent down there, four guys I personally knew got murdered in separate incidents. After that I vowed not to go back. I had a good, exciting time... and thanks, but no thanks.

  11. #11
    Platinum
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    767
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    .......
    four guys I personally knew got murdered in separate incidents..........
    That sounds absolutely terrible. Where they involved with mafia / crime etc?
    OZZYGUY likes this.

  12. #12
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    20,341
    Quote Originally Posted by Cashpoint View Post
    That sounds absolutely terrible. Where they involved with mafia / crime etc?
    Nope. One nice guy we called Santa Claus because he was always treating people from a wad of cash he always carried. Some Filipino spotted him spending lots of money and followed him home. Another guy was a good bloke, but a bit of a braggart. He always wore lots of gold. His gold necklace was missing when they found his body the next day. And, his finger that had a big gold ring with a diamond in it was cut off to get the ring. The other two guys were always messing around with other guy's ladies. Their bodies were found having been beaten to death. To my knowledge, none of the murderers were ever found. I don't think the Philippines police even care. They are involved with most of the petty crime anyways.

  13. #13
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth, Cebu, CNX
    Posts
    6,708
    Quote Originally Posted by Cashpoint View Post
    That sounds absolutely terrible. Where they involved with mafia / crime etc?
    Just a typical day in Manila cashy, just look what the new president is doing. He has orded the death of over 3500 people since April.

    He is doing a good job IMO

  14. #14
    Cadet silver peteman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Newcastle NSW
    Age
    39
    Posts
    158
    "As far as safety goes be VERY alert. Its not like LOS. Most of the taxi drivers lock the doors when you get in, if they don't I suggest you lock it. Its so someone doesn't jump in the cab and rob you. Keep a close eye on your bags at the airport and around the city. Keep an even closer eye on your wallet and phone.

    When in Manila I take off my jewellery. Its rather common for people to steel your watch or neckless especially around bus terminals and busy places. Catch metered taxis not local drivers and best not to catch busses unless your with a Filipino."

    Well this doesn't sound like a good start to my trip 5555 I'm flying into Manila and am there for 2 nights at the start of my upcoming trip. I'm staying in an Air BnB in Makati. I was going to fly straight out of Manila but thought why not give it a couple of nights. Looks like I'll take it easy on the beers those nights.
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    Food fishing and furballs

  15. #15
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth, Cebu, CNX
    Posts
    6,708
    Quote Originally Posted by peteman View Post
    "As far as safety goes be VERY alert. Its not like LOS. Most of the taxi drivers lock the doors when you get in, if they don't I suggest you lock it. Its so someone doesn't jump in the cab and rob you. Keep a close eye on your bags at the airport and around the city. Keep an even closer eye on your wallet and phone.

    When in Manila I take off my jewellery. Its rather common for people to steel your watch or neckless especially around bus terminals and busy places. Catch metered taxis not local drivers and best not to catch busses unless your with a Filipino."

    Well this doesn't sound like a good start to my trip 5555 I'm flying into Manila and am there for 2 nights at the start of my upcoming trip. I'm staying in an Air BnB in Makati. I was going to fly straight out of Manila but thought why not give it a couple of nights. Looks like I'll take it easy on the beers those nights.
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    As far as safety goes be VERY alert. Its not like LOS. Most of the taxi drivers lock the doors when you get in, if they don't I suggest you lock it. Its so someone doesn't jump in the cab and rob you. Keep a close eye on your bags at the airport and around the city. Keep an even closer eye on your wallet and phone.

    When in Manila I take off my jewellery. Its rather common for people to steel your watch or neckless especially around bus terminals and busy places. Catch metered taxis not local drivers and best not to catch busses unless your with a Filipino.

    Thought that sounded familiar then relised it was what I wrote...........555

    How long are you in Phils is it just 2 days in Manila? Lots of better places to go in the Philippines and just a short flight. If you head to Cebu I can help my wifes family have a guest house there.

  16. #16
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    20,341
    Manila is a place you should get out of as soon as possible. However, the Philippines has 7000 islands. Lots to choose from. Cebu is good, as is the tiny island of Boracay. I really enjoyed the north end of the Palawan Island, but getting there was a bit of an adventure. The Philippines take other countries old ferries, cuts them in half and add another level to increase passenger numbers. This makes them unstable in any kind of bad weather... but lives are cheap.

  17. #17
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth, West Oz
    Age
    37
    Posts
    10,284
    I've always wanted to visit Angeles at least once. This threads scares me though. You have to go through Manila to get there no?
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.


  18. #18
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    17,620
    ^ The airport is called 'Clark' Bacon.
    There are direct flights from Bkk ... I just searched and couldnt find anything under 11,000 baht but.

    https://www.tripadvisor.com/CheapFli...s=0&nonstop=no

  19. #19
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    17,620
    ^ Sorry , they arent direct after all.

  20. #20
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth, West Oz
    Age
    37
    Posts
    10,284
    Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    ^ The airport is called 'Clark' Bacon.
    There are direct flights from Bkk ... I just searched and couldnt find anything under 11,000 baht but.

    https://www.tripadvisor.com/CheapFli...s=0&nonstop=no
    With Jetstar you can fly from here to Manila for $280. Then it's $180 from there to BKK, or $160 to Phuket and another $250 home. Around 18000 baht all together. I doubt I'd do it, but that'd be the way to go I reckon. 3-4 days in Angeles then off to Thailand.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.


Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •