Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: Anyone been to Luang Prabang?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar

Anyone been to Luang Prabang?

We are booked to fly there for 3 days.....

Just wondering if anyone has been and knows of good day trips from Luang Prabang?

Thanks

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post

Just wondering if anyone has been and knows of good day trips from Luang Prabang?

Thanks
    Yep....a couple of times..its a beautiful, restful, peaceful place...just pick a really nice hotel and settle back and enjoy the vibe...grab a pushbike and explore the town...loads to do...

But if you really want to do a day trip the Kuangsi Waterfall is spectacular...

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...partner=Viator

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post

Thanks
    What are your dates? Just you and Ao?
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    Yep....a couple of times..its a beautiful, restful, peaceful place...just pick a really nice hotel and settle back and enjoy the vibe...grab a pushbike and explore the town...loads to do...

But if you really want to do a day trip the Kuangsi Waterfall is spectacular...

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...partner=Viator
    That is exactly what we did...........nice heritage hotel that has pushbikes to use
    We definitely will do the Waterfalls, but I'd love to see some picturesque countryside but it seems may be too far out

I will also try and rent a boat for a Mekong trip............I know you can see some beautiful spots but don't like to go with a crowd, so depending how much a private boat will cost

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Yes !
    One of the highlights of my time in S.E.Asia.

It was some time back now , about a year before moving here , so 2007 ?
    But the future of this lovely town certainly sounded secure.
    Returning Laos natives , with 20 years of Californian/US living as upwardly mobile refugees had learnt an appreciation for 'tidy town' presentation and the benefits of 'inclusive' and responsible development , and were adamant that any major developments would be well outside of the old town and that anything in it would be renovated sympathetically , and PRESERVED.
    Thus it was a very good remnant of old colonial Laos , with streets of shuttered French terrace houses like some streets in New Orleans.
    Hill tribe people came down from the mountains every second night and set up colourful markets to sell their hand made wares.
    It put anywhere in Thailand back then to shame when it came to cafes , croissants , and pastisseries AND , believe it or not , clean streets.
    Our guesthouse owner was a Laos who had grown up in the US , and said his family and many other families had returned to a town his family had loved and that their returning Laos had brought wealth to the locals and empowered them , and the committees they had set up had resisted the advances of the idle rich and generals all looking to overdevelop the old town see any changes were done properly.
    Just a great place to hang out , and Ive always wished to go back.

Besides the falls that Baccy mentions , and where me and the tg had swum at twice , there is also this place -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pak_Ou_Caves

It was a great day out.
    The only thing was that we expected things to be like Thailand , but back then , the stoic and communist Laos offered nothing in the way of food boats pulling up next to ours , or even a "friends" place to stop and eat at stupid prices.... Free cups of water were given on the covered longtail , and that was all ...
    After 5 hours I was famished , and my tg outright unsociable ! 555

Luckily we stopped at a "Whiskey Villiage" on the way back...
    Instead of watching how a traditional village made it like all our boat mates did , at the tgs insistence we made inland to the tiny and pitifully inadequate grass hut that was their local "shop" and bought up ALL ( no , I mean ALL ) of their packets of Oreos , and Lays , and anything else remotely edible.
    When we arrived back down onto the muddy riverbank , munching away , many of the 20 or so other passengers asked where we got the food from .
    I didnt have the heart to say we had bought pretty much all that was available , and , hey , maybe they had more stored somewhere that we didnt know about after all ...

I guess it turned out that the "shop" didnt , cause most of them returned empty handed , or sharing a can of 7-up or Coke or something.
    Those empty handed fellow travellers didnt appear to want to talk to us either after that , as we munched most of the way back down river to LP in the boat. 555

LP was a great place to holiday at Paulie

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Hmm...Laos...bakeries!
    ONe thing to look forward to when you've been in LOS a LT.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    Brings some donuts to Samui paulie...55
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....